Our Future After Terri Schiavo/ What Hangs in the Balance.

by prophecor 63 Replies latest jw friends

• amac
    amac

So do you think that lethal injection by choice should be legal...or is this some sort of aggressive resistance that you are pitching?

Terri Schiavo and her husband have two choices right now, option 1 - sustain her life through a feeding tube or option 2 - take the tube out. Lethal injection is not a legal option. If you were in that situation, and those were your only two choices, what would you pick? Terri Schiavo had already expressed that she did not want option 1. You are proposing a third option which is not in place right now and is a completely seperate discussion about what should be done with Terri Schiavo.

• jula71
  • jula71
    jula71

"This is abortion in reverse"

This is why the story is flooding the news; the pro-life/pro-choice camps have grabbed the story with both hands and are using it for their agendas. Abortion has absolutely nothing to do with this case, but I can?t hear a Terri story without the mention of abortion. Feeding tubes are pulled thousands of times a year across the country, why the focus on this one case?

• amac
    amac
    A lethal injection, ending her suffering within moments is against the law, but putting a human being through more than a week of starvation in order to kill her is perfectly legal. Something wrong with this picture?

I agree, and I think Dr. Kevorkian should not be in jail. Unfortunately if you try to help people like that, you get sentenced to 15 yrs in jail.

• talesin
    talesin
    I sit here imagining the Hell that surely she must be experiencing, no food, no water, starving her to death, as all who side with her husband wait for her demise. It is in-human

Dear Proph,

Here`s a thought,

You could be using this energy to send Terri visualizations of peaceful, healing energy and love.

Can retraumatizing yourself constantly by focussing on her real or perceived suffering be helping either one of you? Are you heightening your sense of futility?

Instead, grasp hold of the peace and strength you have built within yourself along the journey, and send some out to her.

Feeling helpless is a great source of anxiety. Anxiety is a waste of energy. Look at the present `climate of fear`.

You are not helpless, A. Where you choose to focus your energy, and what kind, is completely up to you. ;)

t

• AlanF
    AlanF

I think this whole situation is stupid, and I say without hesitation that the "arguments" posed by people like prophecor are equally stupid.

Prophecor, people have asked you extremely pertinent and pointed questions, and you've ignored most of them. Obviously, you have no answers and are running purely on emotion. That's why I glad that there are judges who will buck such emotionalism and respect the expressed wishes of people like the Shiavos.

My wife and I have talked about a situation where one of us might get into a permanent vegetative state. Neither of us wants any measures taken to sustain our lives beyond a reasonable enough time to determine that the state is permanent. Neither of us would want to live in that state, or have our families have the emotional and physical burden of having us around. Both of us would highly resent outsiders coming in and disrespecting our wishes, especially for the sort of political mileage that right-wingers are obviously going for in the Shiavo case.

I think that there ought to be Federal laws passes allowing people to die with dignity by lethal injection, like Kevorkian has been promoting. That would prevent the ridiculous situation like this, where the only legal options are to live in an unwanted vegetative state, or starve to death. Prophecor, I don't see you addressing this issue, which again indicates your emotionalism.

AlanF

• fairchild
    fairchild
    So do you think that lethal injection by choice should be legal...or is this some sort of aggressive resistance that you are pitching?

Perhaps a resistance against starvation and against the messed-up laws. What exactly is the difference between a lethal injection and letting someone starve to death? In both cases, you are ultimately killing a person. The difference is that one is against the law, the other is apparently not against the law. One is humane, the other is downright cruel. Why is it not against the law to starve her? I don't know. Should a mother starve her child to death she would go to prison, no?

But all this is beside the point. It is easy for any one of us to suggest what should have and could have been done. But don't you think that, when the judges decided that it was okay to end her 15 year long suffering, that they also should have approved of a humane way to do so? No doubt, in this hour, her body has been severely affected by the starvation and dehydration. I don't think it is still a matter of putting the feeding tube back or not. It is a matter of being compassionate towards a woman who has suffered more than enough. The biggest mistake made in all this was not the decision to let her go, but merely the decision to let her starve. I'm sure it is too late to do something about it, but I hope to God that the people involved in all this will feel the blame as well as the shame of so much cruelty. If starving her was the only 'lawful' thing to do, then there really is something horribly wrong with the law. All I can do is pray that it will not take a full two weeks for her to die, and that she will find peace in eternity.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    I agree, and I think Dr. Kevorkian should not be in jail.

Actually, I completely agree with that.

• amac
    amac
    But don't you think that, when the judges decided that it was okay to end her 15 year long suffering, that they also should have approved of a humane way to do so?

Yes, but that would have been unprecedented and been dragged out in the judicial system forever, leaving Terri Schiavo's decision in limbo...unfortunately. I believe we are in agreement Fairchild. Respect her wishes and be humane about it...unfortunately our current laws only allow us to respect her wishes and be inhumane about it.

My post was mainly directed at Prophecor who is emotionally tagging the decision as "murdering" her, in attempt to justify his perspective of NOT respecting her wish to die with dignity.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Here's a summary of Ducth legislation on euthanasia;

http://www.justitie.nl/english/Images/broch-euthanasie-eng_tcm23-35490.pdf

You need Acrobat reader

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit