Things I love about Texas

by IP_SEC 99 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

You're right, Arrowstar! Happy Birthday, Texas!!!

And "Kinky Friedman for Governor -- Why The Hell Not?"!!!

Nina

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Nobody mentioned Houston. Huh. It's got some of the finest traffic and smog in all of the country.

Friendly people, lots of things to do, no winter, so lots of outdoor sports, and right now, we have the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. It can be fun.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

No one mentioned the bats that fly out from under the bridge in Austin!!! Or Matthew McConnahey (sp)...how could anyone leave him off the list??? I love the BBQ...it's almost as good as NC's! Ha! San Antonio is wonderful! I love Dallas, too! When I am visiting in the surrounding states people always think I'm from Texas because of my accent!

Swalker

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

No one mentioned the bats that fly out from under the bridge in Austin!!! Or Matthew McConnahey (sp)...how could anyone leave him off the list??? I love the BBQ...it's almost as good as NC's! Ha! San Antonio is wonderful! I love Dallas, too! When I am visiting in the surrounding states people always think I'm from Texas because of my accent!

Swalker

• willyloman
    willyloman

Since it appears I'm actually going to be IN Austin later this month, what should I not miss seeing?

• serendipity
    serendipity

Most of the great things have been mentioned, but I have fond memories of my childhood in the Piney Woods where the contrast of the pine trees against the blue skies is the most intense of any place in Texas. I also fondly remember the fragrant wisteria, honeysuckle and wild roses along the country roads where we played as children.

Take a drive in a rural area and pass fields full of beautiful blue bonnets and Indian paintbrush and other wildflowers, to see the neon green leaves sprouting on the sculptural mesquite trees and watch the white puffy clouds contrasted against the wide blue skies. I love Texas in the spring!

Then again there's the daily sunset: a brilliant palette of reds, oranges and purple splashes against the ever-darkening wide sky.

Let's not forget about Dr.Pepper, a fantastic contribution to the world.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

You need to see the Capital Bldg...it's taller than the one in Washington...

The bats that fly out from under the bridge at sunset

Barton Springs

6th Street (live music)

County Line Barbeque on Lake Travis

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I haven't been able to see much of it yet, but the sky still amazes me. And, for some reason, everything tastes better here... I'm gaining back the weight... lol

I also appreciate the terrific school my son is in, the local economy is going strong in spite of the hurricanes, and the people have been very kind to us.

I love Texas!

Jean

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Hmmmm.... well I have been invited but I hear most folks don't like lesbo pagans down there... those lynchins scare me!

Perhaps you apostates could cover for me and I'd be safe for an apostafest perhaps in the fall.....

Skeeeeered Sherry

• serendipity
    serendipity

Sherry,

There are a lot of lesbians in Dallas and Houston. Probably in San Antonio and Austin as well. As long as you stay in the urban areas, you'd be safe. Really, as long as you and your partner aren't holding hands or acting lovey-dovey, you'd probably be safe anywhere. Rural Texans just don't like flagrant displays of homosexuality, especially men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit