Is Wearing a Cross wrong?

by AshtonCA 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• heathen
    heathen

Why not just wear a tree ? The word stauros in greek supposedly means tree or stake and not cross as translated by scholars . I don't think anybody ever wore a tree before , you could be the first .LOL while your at it throw on a crown of thorns for the full effect ...............

• heathen
    heathen

valis --- What's with the new avatar . LMAO you beast worshipper you .......... You could also wear a pyramid as was russels favorite past time , pyramidology .....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes JWs view wearing a cross as idolizing the instrument of death of Jesus (even though they believe it was a stake and not a cross)

• holly
    holly

I dont think the baptists would have 'prayed to the cross' although it may have seemed that way. i think they have it there as a reminder of what jesus did, and may look at it to remind themselves, but they would know it was wrong to pray specifically to the cross.

Ive very recently been taught that its wrong to wear a cross by jws, but hey, thats what they think. although i did think it was quite a funny reply when i asked what was wrong with wearing a cross, and was asked, if someone you loved was stabbed to death, would you wear a dagger round your neck? Touche !

• Puternut
    Puternut

Hmmm, let's see... you left the organization 10+ years ago? And you are worried as to wether it's wrong? Is there still a little influence here somewhere?

For some people crosses are actually sexy.

To other's it's a phallic symbol.

To other's it's a piece of jewelry

Choice is OBVIOUSLY yours

Puternut

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    I don't think anybody ever wore a tree before , you could be the first

Actually this isn't exactly true. I wear a pendant of the Tree of Life. That symbol was around long before biblical times. Many Jewish persons and many pagans such as myself wear this symbol. A very cool one is celtic design where the roots are all done in celtic knots.

Sherry

• bebu
    bebu
    they did pray to the big cross on the wall.

LOL, no, I'm pretty sure they didn't. If you asked them if they were praying to a cross, they'd be shocked!

Paul preached Christ and the message of the cross. Notice how the cross is a symbol of triumph and God's love in the verses below:

1 Co 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel--not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Gal 6:14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

EPH 2:14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.

Phil 3:18 For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.

Col 1:19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

Col 2:14 having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Heb 12:2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

There's no scriptural prohibition for wearing any jewelry. And if the cross reminds you of the gospel of grace, go ahead and wear one.

bebu

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

(Bops myself on the head)

It never occurred to me to think that JWs don't even believe that Jesus died on a cross---but they don't want anyone to wear one. One of those things that makes you go..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I see no reason not to wear a cross if you want to. It should be a choice we make for ourselves, and not an edict from some old farts.

My first "public" rebellious act, was to buy and wear a pair of tiny little cross earrings. I wore them to a family outing where there was one JW and several who had studied but stopped---so they knew about the "cross thing". The earrings felt like they had glowing lights on them, but no one made any comments about them!

I gradually went to bigger and more varied cross earrings and crosses on a chain too. There are some really gorgeous ones out there!

I still feel such sadness when I think about all the nice religious things that I threw out when I was studying. Some were rather expensive, and some were quite sentimental----and I trashed them. It makes me sick.

Annie

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't see how it could be wrong. Look at all the logos that people wear on teeshirts, jackets, shoes, bumper stickers, etc. Those things all mean something, and nobody thinks anything of it, including jws. How can anyone think wearing a cross is worse than wearing these other things?

S

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA
    As the JWs dont believe Jesus died on a cross, it shouldnt be a problem, now if you wanted to wear a stake that another thing

If I wore one wouldn't I attract flies after awhile? :) Oh wait, that's stake, not steak! sorry lol

Asht

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit