Is Wearing a Cross wrong?

by AshtonCA 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

Hi all,

Ever since leaving the org 10+ years ago, I have often wondered about wearing a cross and if it is wrong to do. I think the JW's see it as an idol, and I do know that the Baptists actually pray to the cross because after I left the org, I became baptist for 2 years and they did pray to the big cross on the wall.

I'm not sure I believe that praying to the cross is such a good thing to do, but is wearing one as a symbol of my belief wrong? My mom can't stand the thought of wearing something that Jesus died on, and she does see it as an idol, but I am not sure I feel that way.

Thanks for your help on this one.

Ash

• Valis
    Valis
    I'm not sure I believe that praying to the cross is such a good thing to do, but is wearing one as a symbol of my belief wrong?

If it means something special to you then it isn't wrong. If you have decided religion/spirituality is going to be a part of your life then you have to find your own new symbols, beliefs and meanings. Otherwise you are no better off then when you were a Jehovah's Witness. Just my two cents.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Its only right or wrong if you think it is! I don't think anyone here thinks they have a direct line to "truth." Do what your conscience tells you based on your studies or faith. Personally to me its just a piece of jewelry with no significance but I know others feel differently.

Sherry

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

To me, a religious symbol is not just a piece of jewelry, but has real significance. I wear a cross, but to me, it has meaning since I view Jesus as my mediator.

Not everyone feels the same, but Hey, that's what makes the world go round.

Jean

• Mulan
    Mulan

I can't imagine why it would be wrong. If you want to do it, and it feels right to you, then it's right.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    it has meaning since I view Jesus as my mediator

Sounds good enough to me. I think crosses are a cool design. The templar cross is even cooler.

S

• vitty
    vitty

As the JWs dont believe Jesus died on a cross, it shouldnt be a problem, now if you wanted to wear a stake that another thing

• heathen
    heathen

I tend to think of all the evils that are done whilst the cross was being used as a symbol of integrity . Nazi germany used the greek cross known as the swatztika . Wearing a cross does not make you a christian .

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

To wear or not to wear a cross....

Why? To identify yourself as a Christian?

If the above is the case, why not by your actions instead?

There are some theories the JWs are right about. This being one of them, along with the silly nonsense of religiously worshipping objects, images, and other idols.

DY

• Valis
    Valis
    There are some theories the JWs are right about.

*LOL* yeah right...they are just more selective in their use of idols...memorial comes to mind. And one of the first incarnations of JWland where they had a huge cross on top of one of their churches. People have used inanimate objects for a gazillion years to draw themselves closer to whatever spiritual/religious feeling they were trying to achieve. I'm sure they will keep doing so till the sun explodes, much to the consternation of religions like the Jehovahs's Witnesses.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit