Is Wearing a Cross wrong?

by AshtonCA 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA
    I dont think the baptists would have 'prayed to the cross' although it may have seemed that way. i think they have it there as a reminder of what jesus did, and may look at it to remind themselves, but they would know it was wrong to pray specifically to the cross.

Nope, they specifically bowed down on one knee and prayed up to the cross even going so far as to say Oh heavenly cross, we pray to you for guidance, sor something to that effect. I had never seen it done and I was taken aback.

Ash

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA
    Hmmm, let's see... you left the organization 10+ years ago? And you are worried as to wether it's wrong? Is there still a little influence here somewhere?

Well, my parents haven't completely let go of all of their beliefs from 45+ years of being in the "truth". And it isn't that I need my parents to make my decisions for me, in fact I'm rebelling a bit about other subjects as well (i.e. having a gay person as a close friend). I just wanted to see how others who have left the org. feel about this subject.

Somewhere in the bible (I'm bad at remembering quotes) it says that we have to bare our cross or something like that, I think, so my thought was, if that's the case, why not wear the cross as a symbol of doing just that. I could be completely way off here, I'm working next to no sleep due to a new baby who keeps me up all night lol

Ash

• heathen
    heathen

Well that's one on me then , I never knew wearing a tree emblem was already a fad somewhere . The WTBTS did exsplain it in an interesting way as to why they exclude wearing the emblem , I mean they claim that while interpreting the scriptures from the original greek that the word cross does not appear and that the cross was really used by pagans long before christianity , like the taoists or the ancient egyptians who used the AHNKA ( however you spell that) it was the pagan symbol of eternal life .It also involved a trinitarian belief . I do think that the way christianity uses it is a form of idolotry , the catholics even go so far as to bless the cross and statues in the church and they actually believe that the cross is more than a statue and is holy .I don't know much about the baptist religion except they also believe in a trinity and the rapture, a paid clergy , resurrection to heaven or hell at time of death , eternal hell fire and celebrating christmas and easter . I could say at least they take the music in worship serious with trained choirs .

• Honesty
    Honesty

Col 2:14 having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

The JWs are modern day Judaizers who have substituted a more oppressive and restrictive WatchTower Law, demanding moral and physical purity, for the Mosaic Law. Thereby, they are being made a public spectacle by their denial of Christ which they prove at their annual Memorial.

As one who puts faith in Jesus I look to the cross as a triumph over the wicked forces of evil and death.

I wonder what the reaction would be if someone went to a District Convention where one of the WT Gods Governing Body was in attendance and showed him a cross.... hmmmm.

I don't know much about the baptist religion except they also believe in a trinity and the rapture, a paid clergy , resurrection to heaven or hell at time of death , eternal hell fire...

Heathen, the baptists are so poor around here most of their churches can't afford to pay a clergyman. Most of them in these mountains I live in don't even have a GED let alone a HS education but they seem to be sincere in their belief in Jesus. The ones that do pay the pastor, I have noticed that the pastors are mostly pretty humble men that don't put a spin on the bible. I think in every denomination there are problems with clergy/laity classes just as the dubs have that stumbling block... GB, Branch overseer, DO, CO, Elder, MS, Pioneer.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Hi Ash,

I wear my cross, not to show others my belief in Christ or anything like that. Most of the time, I wear in underneath my clothing because it is a very personal relationship I have with Christ. I touch it several times throughout the day. It reminds me of the sacrifice Jesus made for all of us.

BTW, the cross I'm wearing now was a gift I received from an ex-JW who is currently living in Thailand. Just three months ago, he was ready to die at Armageddon. Now he has a reason to keep living.

-Dianne

• bebu
    bebu
    Nope, they specifically bowed down on one knee and prayed up to the cross even going so far as to say Oh heavenly cross, we pray to you for guidance, sor something to that effect. I had never seen it done and I was taken aback.

That's ain't Baptist theology ya got there!!

bebu

• Carmel
    Carmel

A Christian should be recognizable by their behavior, not their jewelry. That said, symbols evoke strong emotions and have meaning for some folks that is not shared by others. Case in point, Prince Edward (might be wrong) wore a Nazi uniform. Doesn't bother me a bit, but I understand how it evokes strong feelings among Jews. Personally, most symbols have little or no impact on me. The real thing means much more than the abstract sign. I don't need a piece of jewelry to feel connected to the central figures of my faith. Never needed shrines or temples either but am happy for those that put such meaning in them.

carmel

• heathen
    heathen

I have heard baptists say they pay tithes of 10% of income to the church and do know they have a television mininstry on sundays and willing to bet they get paid for that as well . They do have a world wide network but not sure how they fund the missionaries . I'm not interested in being a baptist so not going to bother looking any further . Every baptist I've ever known was just as nosey and pushy as the j-dubs and just as hypocritical , no thanks on that .

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Of course it is wrong! It is rankest idolatry to wear articles of clothing! Why, I remember well how my mother always bowed low before her earings and gave them offerings of sweetmeats freshly purchased from the shambles (meat market). And when I think of those halcyon days of my youth, praying to my flannel shirt to protect me from evil and my footed Winnie the Pooh jammies to provide me food and protect the crops <sigh> takes me back, I tells ya!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    protect me from evil and my footed Winnie the Pooh jammies

I swear, you are just too funny... was it just the Winnie the Pooh jammies that were possesed or other charachters as well? Superman, Batman?...

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit