Jim Penton

by Greenpalmtreestillmine 67 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Sabrina,

Well, I now wish I had never hoped that at all. Not because of the reaction on this thread but just because.......(leaving some things to myself).

These Boards are rough, tough places. It is inherent in their very nature. Never take anything that happens here very seriously, it will only bring you misery if you do.

Kind regards - HS

• Brummie
  • Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Hillary_Step,

These Boards are rough, tough places. It is inherent in their very nature. Never take anything that happens here very seriously, it will only bring you misery if you do.

I take much of what is said here seriously because it is seriously meant. I presume your reactions to this thread were seriously meant, were they not?

I presume that most if not all the criticisms on this thread were seriously meant, mine certainly were. Your comment is perplexing.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Jim reads JWD from time to time. Upon my insistence that the environment had improved here over the past year and a half he re-registered just last week. However if he is watching this thread I would not be surprised if he deleted the link on his computer. We have improved a lot here but we are not yet as tolerant and non-judgmental as we would like to think we are. JWD has become fairly efficient at checking 'personal attacks' but we as a community still have a low tolerance for people of faith. This is a shame, especially since many great contributors who are people of faith could offer a balancing perspective to JWD. Steve

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Sabrina,

I take much of what is said here seriously because it is seriously meant. I presume your reactions to this thread were seriously meant, were they not?

This is the point. My comments were seriously meant, but not *personally* meant. One can only judge a person n these discussion Boards by their post, or their pattern of posting and this is often nowhere near an accurate representation of what they are like as people. To assume that you can accurately read a persons personality and true nature by their comments on a public discussion Board will inevitably lead to a cycle of misunderstanding - and frequently does so. This is what I mean about these situations coming with the territory and why I believe that these Boards can do a person much harm emotionally if they do not realize the tenous nature of the relationships formed and the methodology used on them.. Add to this equation a chemical of JXW's whose minds and emotions have been severely misused within the WTS and you have a minefield waiting.

If you took my comments as an attack on you as a person, I can assure you that they were not. I do not know you at all so I have no opinion as to your character. I attacked your *comments* which were imho out of order and were seen as such by a number of people and I would attack them again Green if you made a similar comment. However, I think no more or no less of you as a person for having made such comments. If your opinions reflected your true character then that is your issue not mine, or that of this discussion Board.

You have every right to your opinions, but before posting recognize that your readers also have a right to vehemently and often vigorously disagree with them, and in this process your feelings may get hurt.

Best regards - HS

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Jst2laws,

At the risk of saying something again which will be on the wrong side of whatever some here think is right..... as Christians, as followers of the Christ, should we only walk where the atmosphere is pleasant and non-judgemental? If Jesus were to have had that kind of attitude would we today be Christians?

If Jim Penton has deleted his link to JWD because of this thread then imo it is a very good thing that he did. He can be of no help to anyone here if he cannot stand the heat of opposition and respond in a Christian manner while being opposed. Jesus stood the heat and responded forcefully but righteously. Certainly if we have God's spirit we can do the same.

Sabrina

• toreador
    toreador

Jim or anyone else can only do so much. You cannot be everywhere and do everything at the same time.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Steve,

However if he is watching this thread I would not be surprised if he deleted the link on his computer. We have improved a lot here but we are not yet as tolerant and non-judgmental as we would like to think we are. JWD has become fairly efficient at checking 'personal attacks' but we as a community still have a low tolerance for people of faith.

This is an interesting thread, one of the more interesting in recent times imho.

There is a low tolerance for people of faith on JWD as there is for Republicans, and especially JW apologists. Not an ideal situation and often those that express a religious viewpoint are equally as intolerant of the views of others. Not ideal, but a reality that will not pass us by regardless of the level of moderation displayed until people develop an ability to present themselves and their views without taking things to heart if people disagree with them.

As a JW I saw so many of the 'mildest' JW's become pictures of agression as soon as their viewpoints were crossed. We were trained to be right, even when we were wrong. It is as well that we get those edges shaved from our psyche as quickly as possible when exiting the WTS. If we do not we will hold to our conditioning and this cannot be healthy and sometimes Lawd luv us, we do not let go of this inclination easily. When what is percieved as a WTS attitude is expressed by an XJW, then duck for cover.

I remember this Summer as we talked on our deck thinking to myself how refreshing it was to speak to a person who admitted to having 'No Answers'. The freedom to be wrong and ignorant and have it pointed out and make correction is a gift often overlooked by many XJW's. I think this Board has straightened many viewpoints, perhaps not as gently as we would have liked, but it has allowed us the gift of a past release and a future hope.

As for me, well I also have no shame in admitting that in my early fifties I know less about 'life' than ever, and will likely die in complete ignorance of the mystery that keeps us dragging ourselves from sleep each morning. That is why I have no issue with any of my opinions and viewpoints being shredded and reworked if it means that I will learn.

I would love to be a believer again, I truly would and I await a good reason with patience like the man in the Moon.

Soberly yours - HS

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Hillary_Step,

You have every right to your opinions, but before posting recognize that your readers also have a right to vehemently and often vigorously disagree with them, and in this process your feelings may get hurt.

You are preaching to the choir. Hurt feelings are not my concern. Truth is. I suppose you also seek and approve of that. I post seriously, my words are seriously meant. Attacks are seriously taken but not personally. Otherwise, I would not be here.

Sabrina

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Sabrina,

You are preaching to the choir. Hurt feelings are not my concern. Truth is. I suppose you also seek and approve of that. I post seriously, my words are seriously meant. Attacks are seriously taken but not personally. Otherwise, I would not be here.

Fair enough - I think we are pretty much in agreement over this despite our vvery different views of the 'truth' in this matter. Now I am off to pull Brummie's tail.

Best regards - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit