Jim Penton

by Greenpalmtreestillmine 67 Replies latest jw friends

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

hmm ...

.. I remember a Dr. Penton coming to this board to basically stick up for his friend during a very unfortunate ... sigh .... squabble between two very great gentlemen - Mr. Bowen and Mr. Franz. Unfortunately I was less than impressed with Dr. Penton's attitude toward certain people in his post ... almost discrimatory if I recall and I ... if memory serves ... let Jim have it since I thought he could be a good expert witness in court cases for many issues and expert witnesses shouldn't be on public discussion boards saying certain things. Sorry about that Jim ...

Having said that negative which I wish never happened, let's talk some positive.

I was but one of many persons trying desparately to get expert people to come forward both for CBC's production of the JW abuse issues and the Boer civil case. Jim answered the call from Mexico, Anderson from Tennessee, Bowen from Kentucky and many many many others from around the world and of course in Ontario and the rest of Canada. Dr. Penton along with the Andersons and a few others came to 361 University in Toronto and sat in a court house full of JWs who were completely against Vicki Boer (In their Shelburne congregation twisted minds, Vicki was the antichrist). It was Penton and Anderson who volunteered to be expert witnesses for Ms. Boer. Penton also sat with L. Gerrerrio of CBC and provided her many great insights into the JWs so that abuse story could get aired in January 2003. Never mind the other CBC Fifith Estate show that Penton did some 10-15 years ago. It was quite a sight seeing the Andersons and Dr. Penton sitting side by side in that court house (Of course on that day Glen How loudly tuning his hearing aid device for many minutes in the midst of a very quiet courtroom while the Judge looked over her bi-focals at the learned How stole the show ....).

My point is, Dr. Penton through his books, interviews, testimony et. al. has done so much to try and get the leadership in the Watchtower organization to be held accountable and to change its dangerous ways. He has walked the walk and at the risk of being sued by a billion dollar company that has an army of lawyers who supposedly work without remuneration.

I kindly thank Dr. Penton for all of his help he has provided to those in need and protecting those who were thinking of joining this dangerous organization, and, I kindly say to him that he only needs to do as much as he feels since he found out what freedom is really all about (.... unless it has to do with a request from Barb Anderson and if that is the case then by orders of the supreme great commander of the universe, Jim you are authorized to help Barb in any way she asks (snicker)).

hawk

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I do hope the reaction here hasn't run Sabrina off. I've certainly had my bouts of righteous indignation, and I certainly don't see Jim Penton as a sacred cow, indeed if he were here, I'd probably be calling him a self deceptive mythturbator, like all christians ;).

• Brummie
    Brummie
    I've certainly had my bouts of righteous indignation

erm you're not supposed to say that, you'll have hillary running around like an headless chicken,

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brummie,

I've certainly had my bouts of righteous indignation

erm you're not supposed to say that, you'll have hillary running around like an headless chicken,

That you are too plain stupid to realise that this issue is not so much about this mans *personality* as an unwarranted judgment on his lifes work shows that you have been planted in the cabbage patch for so long that you are now indistinguishable from your neighbours. Even headless I teach you lessons - HS

• Brummie
    Brummie

See what I mean six...

Brummie

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Ok,

I think we get the picture Jim Penton a very good guy with personality flaw like everyone else. Why am I not surprised??? If Sheakspeare would have something to writ in this thread what would it be?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hmmm, casting Samuel L Jackson as Puck, firing off rounds in the air as he enters the thread, I'm hearing something along the lines of "Lawd, I'm gwan hafta show dees fools what mortals they be".

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    See what I mean six...

Cabbage speaks to man. Man ponders for a millisecond then eats cabbage.

HS

• Brummie
    Brummie

*cabbage infests "mans" ass with a million maggotts*

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

I would like to sincerely and deeply from my heart thank those on this thread who spoke from their heart. Anger expressed from a good heart is not always a bad thing. It's the heart that counts and I know there are many, many loving hearts here.

That, ironically, was what prompted this thread. I have come to love everyone on this board no matter who they are or what their beliefs or disbeliefs may be. In a sense, we are all still brothers. Brothers who once were Witnesses and who will always, in one way or another, be connected by that experience, another kind of "brother"if you will. It's been noted on another thread that in some respects I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (that was a simple paraphrase not a direct quote and will probably be regarded by that poster as either a gross misrepresentation of what he said or an understatement. my only response to that is: see you were right:). In many ways though he was right. I'm not the keenest person on this board. I do not know all the ins and outs of religious history or Watchtower history, or evolutionary evidences, or the sciences .....well, you get the picture. I know only these things: I love my God and my family and my brother/neighbor, whoever and wherever he may be.

It was in the interests of those two things, the love for all the hurting here and the recognition that there are exJW Christians out there much more qualified and educated than I am and who might be able to help some new ones here to remain hoping in God and his Son. Frustration in my own limited ability and the knowledge that they are imo spiritual goldmines who by their word and their name could be a significant influence towards helping some keep their faith in God was the motivation behind this thread.

Someone called into question my manners and that was a fair statement. All I can say is that from my perspective, as someone who loves God with all her heart, seeing his name and his person degraded here is a very difficult thing, (no mannerly considerations there for the feelings of others). Many times I have wanted to run away and sometimes I have because of the difficulties here, the harshness. But I've come to realize that when God is degraded here it is because so many have been so deeply hurt and that hurt can easily turn to anger. I ask please that you all give me the same latitude when my frustration and hurt with my exJW Christian brothers bubbles up as it did on this thread.

I, at one time, hoped that Jim Penton and Carl Olaf Jonsson and others like them would come and post a little here because I felt they could help so many who are about to lose their faith. But that hope is finished now. I know they will not come. But hey, life goes on and God does keep us going even if we are a little on the slow side.

"Brotherly" love to you all,

Sabrina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit