Jim Penton

by Greenpalmtreestillmine 67 Replies latest jw friends

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

It's too bad someone hasn't taught you manners. For shame on you. I agree with Alan and Scully and several other posters. He has his own life and he should be able to live it as he feels and if by chance he does post we should be grateful for his words. Yes I agree with the poster who said that Jim Penton is better then some of the so-called Christians in this forum.

Hooray for men/women of honour. I find that if a man such as Jim should happen to grace us with his wisdom of the word of God who are we to speak despargingly of him. He has worked hard all of his life. I for one would be honoured to meet this man. Unfortunately that has never happened.

Here is an example a little closer to home. Grace or mouthy as we call her endearingly is in her "golden years", yet she still finds time to help persons of faith work their way back to Christ. She has much wisdom and if the day comes and she can't share herself with us, we wouldn't even think twice of making a nasty remark about her, She is such a wonderful lady. A lady of Grace. If Grace was unable to help a person to return to Christ she still loves us. Her love and devotion to us is uncontional. I hope Grace is here for many years to share her live experiences, her up and downs her sharing and caring. She works deligently helping xJw's find peace and fulfillment in their live with all the love she has. It isn't respectful to demand of anyone that they post when we think they should do so. It is their love for us that causes them to speak with us. To help us and stand by us in anything in life. Because that is the kind of person she is .

Remembering or place, our manners, will go a long way with persons who feel greatly appreciated.

Love Orangefatcat

• bebu
    bebu
    I've heard that some of the more prominant exJW Christians will not soil their feet by coming here.

This might be the root of the trouble--a rumor. I don't think the reason you heard was the true reason for their not posting here.

...I must admit that I am not familiar with Jim Penton's name. But judging from the response here, and your own respect for him, GPTSM, he does sound like a real man of character!

bebu

• bebu
    bebu

Is all the "tough love" over with now? It's now been a while and it looks like GreenPalmTrees has been run off the board.

I don't think GreenPalmTrees meant to seem haughty. She seems like a very kind person, she has some unique perspectives, and hasn't lent herself to rudeness in the past. I am sure her statements were not intended to be arrogant; she could be corrected/informed without being lambasted.

I hope people here will cut her some slack and extend a bit of good will. Unconditional love can overlook stuff, forgive stuff, right?

bebu

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Bebu,

I think you make a good point,,sometimes just being right is not all it's cracked up to be. We all make mistakes,,we word thing wrong,,or we become total honest with our feeling,,and someone clubs us over the head for it.

Don't get me wrong this is a wonderful place to get corrected,,but sometimes we need to back off and not correct it's a delicate balancing act where we all make mistakes.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Green is a lovely person, she is entitled to her opinion.

As for Jim, yes, he is very graceful as is his wife, we have been in touch for a few years now and I have had the privalage of sharing a weekend with both of them here in England. No one can be anything but impressed with them and I'm glad to have them as freinds. I hope I am of similar mind and spirit when I am his age, if anything happens to him the world would have lost an absolute gem.

Brummie

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brummie,

Green is a lovely person, she is entitled to her opinion.

Being a lovely person is not at issue here Brummie and it seldom is on discussion Boards. I am sure that 90% of people who post on this Board are 'lovely' people in real life. being 'lovely' does not preclude a person from making foolish statements, or from having ill-founded opinions.

The fact is that her post was out of order, as the response to it has clearly shown. The decent thing to do is to apologize to Mr. Penton just as publicly and then move on.

HS

• Brummie
    Brummie

Having ill founded statements is a human disease which affects us all (including you! and very rarely me :)), even lovely people are prone to em. But at this stage I'm going to insert foot in mouth, since I hadnt read anything but the opening post and a couple of responses:

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Green:

Jim has shared his thoughts with many people over the years, and has helped many people out of the cult with his wonderful books, his essays, etc. He has devoted his late years to helping people. He may not post here, but I am not sure if I blame him. None of the people you mentioned post here anymore, because they are older, and they may feel they have done what they can, and don't want to spend the remaining years of their lives on a computer defending something that they have so thoroughly defended in their books. Peace of mind is something that is well worth defending when one has the strength, but well worth enjoying when one has the time. Jim seems to be comfortable with his vision of the Christ, and comfortable with what he has done, and comfortable with himself and his life.

He has contributed much, and that should never be taken lightly. There are fallen brothers here, but they have access to his posts/essays/books like we all do. It's all well documented. There is nothing stopping people from reading his documents online, and buying his books. He should not be tormented at this point in his life by being made to feel guilty that he isn't giving his full attention to "online affairs" when all he really appears to want to do is live his life out in the "fullness of Christ."

You don't know the man personally, and he has no obligation, as do any of us, to help ANYONE. We are here because we want to be. We are all born alone, and we all die alone. We all live our lives as we see fit, and that's our ultimate fate. He might have seen that he would be met with much derision here, or maybe he didn't, I don't know. The fact that he does not post here is none of your concern, and if you really want to jump on a 72 year old man who has written a few books for *our* side, then by all means, contact him. But I do mean.. that would be mean.

Please, if you have something to question or debate, get with the younger people in this forum, the more knowledgeable ones, and ask them. But do not ever demand that someone post here, or anywhere else, as that is very bad etiquette.

CG

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brummie,

Having ill founded statements is a human disease which affects us all (including you! and very rarely me :)),

lol...In the words of discussion Board vagaries, put up, or shut up, lest you fall into the same mire that your friend GreenPalm has.

Please bring to the board one ill-founded statement that I have made. I never write what I am not willing to defend with fact rather than fiction.

HS

• Brummie
    Brummie

Anyway...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit