My stupid president

by onacruse 79 Replies latest members politics

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Satanus- so what if he believes that no one should question God? Does that require anything of you? I believe that no one should get in my way on the highway but my belief about what all those people should be doing certainly doesn't change the traffic pattern at any time

• onacruse
    onacruse

Xena:

And their self-defined "God" blinds them to reality.

How do you know that?

Just my having followed the course of GW's political life, including his Daddy's recent "come to my defense, I screwed up on the WMD thing," and the frequent (almost overwhelming) self-admittedly ultraconservative Christian postures of most of the GW's Cabinet members. How much evidence does it take?

Is this perhaps about our own issues with religion?
    Very interesting question! Especially, that you said "our" rather than "your." Care to expand on this?
  • Xena
    Xena
    do you see the American public getting nervous with GW

certain sectors...it depends on who you ask and what boards you post on

The thing with Bush though is he has never made a secret of his beliefs, it's not like this came out AFTER he was elected. So apparently as stilla mentioned most of the American public is ok with it.

I do wonder if we are more sensitive to comments like this because of our backround. Because I will be honest I find it unsettling myself.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Like it or not HE WON- to the victor go the spoils, so to speak.

I just get humored how no one can do anything "right"(except us). We all want our leaders to have balls (but not too big of balls), to be moral (but not too moral), to be opinionated (especially if it agrees with ours), to do everything the way WE want it done (well maybe not everything)... and so forth. It's an impossible tight rope act. That's why I love it on the rare occassion a politician goes with what he believes is right (emasculation is so humiliating to watch) and just does it. At least here in America if a politician gets too "outta control" there is a system of checks and balances that works pretty good.

Stupid president? Or stupid people that voted for him? Losers always say this.... I'll bet I know who you voted for...

But I bet you can't tell who I voted for. At least we should (to steal a Dub phrase) respect the office, if not the man.

u/d

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well you know what ? Whatever GW Bush will say or do, I will question his is agenda more than once if not a thousand times ... (and you know why)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Don't where my post went..

XW

Bush said noone should question god. He also said that god put him into office, and that god told him to smack down iraq. Isn't that right?

S

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I'm a big sports fan, and I listened to Bush when he was the 'spokeman' for the ownership group of the Texas Rangers 15 years ago.

If he told me the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, I wouldn't believe it until that was verified by NASA, NORAD and half the scientific community. Even then ....

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    Just my having followed the course of GW's political life, including his Daddy's recent "come to my defense, I screwed up on the WMD thing," and the frequent (almost overwhelming) self-admittedly ultraconservative Christian postures of most of the GW's Cabinet members. How much evidence does it take?

Can you show where GW's belief in God or even his profession of such belief has "blinded him to reality"? How would you attribute it that way? As far as screwing up on the WMD thing - many, many other politicians and people in general believed the very same thing that GW did about WMD- on both sides of the political spectrum. Were they also blinded to reality because of their belief? His cabinet is conservative- they are conservatives! Many of them are also Christians. Why are the two melded together in your mind that way? What about the Liberals who are also Christians and profess it openly? The Reverand Jesse Jackson? The Reverand Al Sharpton?

• under74
    under74

"Was anyone "afraid" of Jimmy Carter, who spoke of his religious beliefs quite often? There are so many very powerful political figures in history who have/had deep religious beliefs but I don't ever think I've heard so much attention being paid to it before."

The difference between Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush is that Carter didn't use his religion as a reason for the decisions he made...or even imply it (religion) . I think he has every right to be religious but as President he has to cater to his people--all of which are not religious or the same religion or the same denomination. As President he has to uphold the seperation of church and state. Make it clear that in his professional life he is a nationalist before an evangelical. I could care less what he practices in his own time or personal life.

There's a Frontline called the Jesus Factor...I think you may be able to watch it online at PBS.org. It's pretty informitive about George W. and his religion.

• Xena
    Xena
    As President he has to uphold the seperation of church and state. Make it clear that in his professional life he is a nationalist before an evangelical. I could care less what he practices in his own time or personal life.

that's a good point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit