My stupid president

by onacruse 79 Replies latest members politics

• under74
    under74

One more thing...

XW-
    "Not to worry, neither am I- this is a discussion and a pretty calm one as they go in the political spectrum of JWD "

Thanks for that : )

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH
    I, I resolve the tsunami crisis as, in my mind, as a duty for wealthier nations to respond to help. And I'm also mindful that man should never try to put words in God's mouth. I mean, we should never ascribe natural disasters or anything else to God. We're, we are, we are, in no way, shape, or form should a human being play God. That was it? O M G- Well, this has been an interesting conversation taken out of context. Look at what he said. "We should never ascribe natural disasters or anything else to God" "We're we are, we are , in no way, shape, or form should a human being play God"

To give the devil his due, if GW did say the above, well, then, maybe, just maybe, there is hope for him yet....... XW, remember, Craig got this thru Kate, and she said she couldn't remember exactly what was said. Also, she apologized for perhaps misquoting GW. IMO, GW has given me plenty of reason to question his moral fiber, and his suitability to be President. As far as Kerry goes, I've said it before and will say it again, both choices offered at this last election were substandard. I think that the American form of government is due for an overhaul.......it's gotten too corrupt and is in the hands of people who are basically there to serve their own interests, not ours. Terri

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i don't think calling Bush "stupid" "demeans us all".

howso? Bush is an idiot...that's not an opinion, that's a fact. my days of having a "collective opinion" are over...

http://kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=1525

• Forscher
    Forscher

No one should question God?

Of course not! No one should question God! The problem is who speaks for God? Surely we have a right to question the credentials of anyone who dares to do so no matter what his position in life! Do we not?

• Xena
    Xena
    Stupid is as stupid does.

ROFL....indeed

• Forscher
    Forscher

"Bush is an idiot...that's not an opinion, that's a fact."

That may be your opinion, and you do have your right to that, but it cannot be demonstrated to be a fact! Niether Yale nor Harvard turn out idiots. To the contrary, they turn out the elite of this country, many of whom share some of your opinions.

• under74
    under74

"Niether Yale nor Harvard turn out idiots."

They do too. My ex-roommate was a Yale grad and he's one of the dumbest people I've ever met.
    They turn out idiots as quickly as the idiot's parents can pay the tuition.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    I'm referring to him putting forth an amendment to ban gay marraige. he's says it's because he believes marraige is meant for a man and a woman. If it's not to uphold biblical law then what's the point? It can't be for population growth because we're overpopulated as it is.

Well, in several states this was put to a vote and won by more votes than Bush received in those states so I guess it's not GW's idea, it's the will of the people. And when it's what the electorate votes for by a majority, does it matter where it comes from? In that case you'll have to talk to the people who voted for it and convince them that it's not what they should be overwhelmingly voting for.

The problem is that he's trying to change laws or speaking of it based on his own set of religious beliefs.

I guess you'll have to talk to the folks in those states where it was on the ballot because GW didn't put it there. It would appear that these are not just GW's beliefs as is evidenced by the votes in those states.

It's not about everyone else bringing up his religious beliefs. He pretty much spawned all the talk. In 2000 as governor of Texas he introdced "Jesus Day." The day consisting of volunteering to help the needy is a nice one but labeling it that way is non-inclusive, isn't it?

Not really. If you take a look at the Presidential Documents http://www.gpoaccess.gov/wcomp/ the number of times GW talks about his religion is quite low. In 2003 for example, these documents show only 2 times where GW talks of his Savior and that was at Easter and Christmas And it is nothing in numbers in comparison to Bill Clinton's numbers when he was in office. Bill Clinton was talking about God and Christ and his faith all the time. But no one had a problem with it when it was Bill Clinton.

Did GW's "Jesus Day" in Texas make a requirement of it's citizens? Governors have been proclaiming "days" to many causes throughout history but unless it mandates participation in some way of citizens does a melding of church and state exist?

As the president he sets the tone for this country and is supposed to be a figure head. It doesn't matter if he's getting laws passed or not-- the mere fact that he speaks of it is a problem.

Was it a problem when Clinton was doing it? No there wasn't and why not? Bill Clinton, while President of the United States spoke in a church on 21 occasions, even instructing worshippers to vote while there! Is that okay?

"By the grace of God and your help, last year I was elected President."
    ? Clinton, Church of God in Christ, Memphis, Tennessee, November 1993

"Our ministry is to do the work of God here on Earth."
    ? Clinton to a church in Temple Hills, Maryland, August 1994

"God's work must be our own. And there are many questions before us now in this last presidential election of the 20th century."
    ? Clinton to a church in Newark, New Jersey, October 1996

"The Scripture says, 'While we have time, let us do good unto all men.' And a week from Tuesday, it will be time for us to vote."
    ? Clinton, Alfred Street Baptist Church, Alexandria, VA, October 29, 2000

"But I am pleading with you.... I have done everything I know to do.... [But] you have to show. So talk to your friends, talk to your neighbors, talk to your family members, talk to your co-workers, and make sure nobody takes a pass on November 7th."
    ? Clinton, Shiloh Baptist Church, Washington, D.C., October 29, 2000

And if you take a look at those Presidential Documents you'll find many cases of his religiosity coming out in his daily practice as President.

• under74
    under74

Those are interesting quotes from Clinton.

"Was it a problem when Clinton was doing it?"

Yes, I do see a problem with it.

I guess it's just a difference I have with many people. I don't think public servants should talk about God or their religious beliefs because this makes me question their motives and intentions when they make decisions that impact me, a taxpayer.

As far as Jesus Day is concerned, you're right it was not mandatory but it was also not inclusive to EVERYONE living in the state of Texas.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    To the contrary, they turn out the elite of this country, many of whom share some of your opinions.

what does it mean to be elite? personally i've never had much to say for elitist snobs. just because Bush is an ivy-leaguer doesn't mean he's smarter than the rest of us, yanno. did you see him trying to answer the simplest of questions, i.e. explain "sovereignty" to the rest of us poor slobs? so if someone is a product of a state college, does their opinion matter less? riiight...George W Bush is an idiot, and i don't care how many degrees from prestigious schools he holds--- this has nothing to do with academics and everything to do with common sense and maturity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit