Sexual Harassment

by LittleToe 163 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

I always ask permission before exploring underneath kilts LOL!

In answer to your question, the conduct you described is wrong, man or woman.

Sirona

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

So much depends upon the situation. I had a boss who was quite handsome, charming, and (ain't it always the way?) gay. He used to tell the occasional risque' joke to the ladies who worked for him, and liked to walk around the back of the store shirtless when it was hot. None of us felt threatened by him at all. He knew where to draw the line, and if we told him to knock it off, he would. Eventually he hired another man to help out, and the situation changed drastically. This guy liked to make lewd comments to a couple of the women, and was always trying to cop a feel. The difference was, we didn't consider this guy a friend, and his comments weren't meant to be funny, he was trying to make us uncomfortable. After several warnings, we all voted to have him fired, and our boss did so that day.

Regarding guys in drag or in kilts: Accord them the same respect you'd want someone to give you. No prying questions, no lewd jokes, no peeking. However, gentlemen in kilts should be aware that ladies can't help the lustful thoughts that such clothing arouses in them, and should conduct themselves accordingly.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Insomniac:So there are potentially extenuating circumstances, then?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

All I am going to say on the matter is "There are double standards" When a woman has made very suggestive remarks in a bar and then started feeling me up - I have never let it worry me , nor have I ever complained - but that is me. However, I would NEVER do that to a woman

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Stilla:Would you be offended if you asked them to desist and they ignored you?

Btw, talking of cross-dressing, did you know that you're registered as a femme?

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well, there are differences between it happening to a man in a kilt and a woman in a skirt - just as it is ok to see a man violently abusded by a woman (humourously) in advertising but not the other way round.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ballistic:There are? Would you care to iterate?
    (After all, that's the purpose of the thread...)

• blondie
    blondie

We have training at work as how to deal with sexual harassment whether we are the person being harassed or witness someone else being harassed.

The most important point I came away with is that it is an issue of power not sex.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

First of all let me just say this, Ross I am so sorry that your experience here in my beautiful part of the world brought on this conversation. I'm just pissed about that.

1. Sexual harrassment is NEVER ok no matter which gender is involved or which gender is the harasser. NEVER.
    2. No one ASKS to be sexually harrassed. Men have been saying that about how women dress for centuries and it is BS.
    3. If joking around becomes uncomfortable and that fact is communicated, anything further is sexual harassment.

You know, this is a situation I have been in before. Usually I have no qualms about setting someone in their place and have done so effectively. But I have also been in one situation where that fact did not stop it and it was pretty scary. At that time I thought, if men were to be treated this way they might understand how it feels. That thought was directed only towards those of that gender who were/are insensitive enough to be harasser/abusers.

Ross, YOU sir, are (IMHO) a gentleman and not needful of this "lesson." I once again want to apologize for my gender. This is NOT the way we want to be equal. Nor is this type of behavior typical of women here.

(Would I have been the only one NOT wanting to peek up that kilt?) Jeez, they pretty much all look the same!!

Sherry

• blondie
    blondie

Great response, Sherry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit