Sexual Harassment

by LittleToe 163 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I thought I'd pose a question especially (but not exclusively) for the girls regarding sexual harassment.

What would you deem as unfitting behaviour?
    Is it appropriate for a guy to ask if you are wearing any panties? Are there any circumstances, for a stranger, where this would be appropriate? How about if there were no discernible panty line? Would you be asking for it? How about if he then went the extra step of trying to look up your skirt or using a camera to do so, or even lifting it? What would be appropriate recourse, especially if they?d been repeatedly asked to desist?

A question for the guys, how would you react if you saw a woman being treated like that? Would you intervene? Are there extenuating circumstances like if the guy is drunk? What about a guy in drag: Would it he appropriate conduct towards him? Is it a little fun, maybe? Bear with me now. What about a guy in a kilt? Is he asking for it?

Allegedly there are two traditions regarding what Scotsmen wear under their kilts, the second being that they never tell. Does his silence on the subject give an open license to be abused? Maybe this is one area where the girls know where I'm coming from and know that l understand some of their problems.

In the words of Logansrun: Discuss?

• under74
    under74

hmmm...interesting scenerio. I don't really think it's appropriate whether they're strangers or not...unless you know this person well and know that they are joking and they know that you know they are joking.

Appropriate recourse? Well, I get angry and might do something I'd regret because I'd be stooping as low as the person who was a stranger or wasn't joking....I'm might throw a punch or I might (if somewhat calm) isolate the person by telling everyone present what they did thereby making them a social leper. I don't know exactly what's appropriate when I'm mad.

• Been there
    Been there

Drunk or not, it is never ok to look under ones skirt/kilt without permission. It is an invasion of privacy. If it continued after repeated attempts to get them to stop....it goes beyond harassment.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

god granted me protection from sexual harrassment..i'm plain. and raised jw i learned to not look men in the eye and dress appropriately. so as far as personally being sexually harrassed it has never happened. if anyone made personal comments to me such as the ones you posed little toe i'd be very vocal in telling them to knock it off. if a man looked under my skirt i'd 1. laugh at his expression at seeing my granny panties and 2. kick the shit out of him.

i'm not sure (cuz i'm not a socially active person) but from what i can gather from friends, tv etc.. men are beginning to behave better but the tv shows (sex in the city , friends etc) women make more comments to men than in the past. a lot of times on tv its presented in the form of humor, jokes or asides to another female companion within hearing of the man. as far as looking under kilts.. on tv too you see a man on a tv show in a kilt the women invariably peek under it to get a laugh , bad form but there again, the publics manners are being affected by tv thats for sure.

i think you have to be balanced, if your a female or male in a bar or in a party situation, light hearted sexual bantering is to be expected. but you have your limits and its up to each individual to let others know when they've crossed the line. in work situations its not to be expected and utilizing your human resource dept is important. document all harassing statements and protect your rights.

• under74
    under74

Continued from 1st post-

"Does his silence on the subject give an open license to be abused?"

No, I don't think it gives an open license for abuse. I'm going to go ahead and write this even though I think some people will disagree with me and I might be seen as a provoker...I think there's a double standard when it comes to sexual harassment. When a woman is given comments on her panty line or whatever it's generally seen as harassment but if a guy is given comments from a woman I think it's usually seen in a more joking manner and not to be taken seriously because it's a woman saying it and women aren't seen to be physically threatening--even if this is completely wrong.

Just my opinion.

• Simon
    Simon

Men in skirts. What is the world coming to ...

Anyway, anyone who has watched Carry On up the Kyber knows what's under there.

I think it is out of order wheoever is doing it to who.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Simon:

Carry On up the Kyber

Now THAT was a funny movie!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Interesting ... (you feel like a woman)

Well I guess your too sexy for your skirt ! (so that's what happen - bulliers : women an men are taking chance it sucks !)

Now I do remember "Braveheart" and when on the battlefield before the battle they shown their a$$es WONDERFULL (the gesture not truly about the fact that we've seen their asses ... LOL)

• Maverick
    Maverick

It is never appropriate to ask any woman other than your mate what undergarments she is wearing!

I was at Home Depot and saw a young man hugging and fondling the cashier who was checking my purchase. I told him to their faces I did not appreciate his conduct. They both laughed at me. I turned around and went to the Store Manager and told him what happened. I explained that it did not matter if she was consenting, it was inproper behavior in a work setting and a time bomb waiting to explode! If she ever got mad at the place she could file a lawsuit, and as open as this young man was the store would lose, big time! The Store Manager did not pay much attention to me until I told him he should be grateful than the lady was not my daughter because I would not have gone to him, but straight to my lawyer! His facial expression changed and he said he would take care of the matter. The next time I went in the store the young man was moved to stocking shelves and kept away from the cashiers. Had nothing changed I would have called the corporate office! Pissed me off!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

From ... Coffee Talk
    ... "Talk amongst Yourselves"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit