How Many Have Sought Professional Help???

by codeblue 86 Replies latest members private

• codeblue
    codeblue

One: I am not going to a health care professional to seek help on doctrines...........I already know the answer to that...That is the EASY part.

I have already read COC and ISOFCOC>........I have surfed this board for 1.5 years and have read many self-help books.

I think you are missing the real reason people seek help.............and I stress again, IT has NOTHING to do with doctrines.

CodeBlue

• one
    one

CODE,

you tell me the "real reson" and why is has nothing to do with doctrines...

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Code: Makes you wonder if One really was one...a dub I mean. Anyone that can be so flippant about this issue. I am choosing to ignore someone that acts as if they have all the answers but can't spell their way out of a hatbox.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I went to a therapist a few times during and after........in fact, one of the first times I went after the therapist found it highly amusing and amazing that I could have ever fit in to the lockstep lifestyle of the dubs..............we had a good laugh over it. My attitude with therapy now, for myself, is that I've reached a point in my life that I know how to be my own therapist.....and, I think that most of us can get the same benefits by bouncing our concerns off another person, or even this board serves that purpose. It's all about being able to see things clear eyed and clear headed and make healthy decisions, IMO. I realize therapists won't make your decisions for you, they help you find what is the best option for you in the situation you are in. It's all about finding your own truth and living it, and being comfortable with making your own choices in life.

Terri

• codeblue
    codeblue

Sheila, I totally agree with you about ONE.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Hey, One, knock it off. Leave CodeBlue alone.

You've made your point now back off. If CodeBlue and others choose to seek outside help, it's none of your business and not your place to convince them otherwise. You're being a b elligerent butthead.

In leaving JW-dom, the ongoing fear, shame, and guilt, along with doctrine leftovers are on parr with P.T.S.D. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Some can get over it on their own. Over time. Some prefer to seek help with getting over it, and learning new tools to cope with the world since the one's we received from JWdom are no longer effective - if they ever were.

If JW's are brain washed... maybe we need some professional dry-cleaning!

Brenda

• codeblue
    codeblue

(((Brenda)))

Thank you so much for your last post!!! I really appreciate your support on this issue...

many hugs to you,

CodeBlue

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

{{{ CodeBlue }}}

You're Welcome. And thanx for the hugs!

Bren

• logansrun
    logansrun

Just remember....

There are many different kinds of therapy/treatment. Some good. Some better. Some that will make you even WORSE. I think the best form of therapy is a highly directive form of cognitive-behavioral therapy. By all means stay away from anything that is psychoanalytic or any therapy that dwells on the past.

Bradley

BTW....I've seen the topic of "brainwashing" mentioned in a number of posts here. I'm not so sure there is such a thing. No one MAKES you do, think or feel anything (unless they have drugged you or used physical force). Thinking that you have been "brainwashed" (which is very unscientific) just creates a victim mentality and will keep you centered on the past.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Bradley, I agree in some ways with the brainwashing thing. However, I was raised to think, act, and believe a certain way that is contrary to reality. I had no choice in the matter. I was brain-trained.

Those who choose to go deeper into a cult, be it religious or social, you're right, they are usually people who have victim tendencies, or those with tendencies to addictive compulsive disorders. Or young seeking to understand and belong. In high control groups and cults, mind control is essential. Thinking for yourself is dangerous. Old behaviours and beliefs are replaced. Hence "brainwashing". It may not be the science fiction version with old memories wiped out and replaced with new memories and behaviours, but brainwashing does exist once a person allows themselves to be subject.

However, for a person to understand that they have been manipulated and controled, requires that they begin to understand that they were a victim, that they were victimized, AND, painfully so, especially for those who were adults and became involved, allowed it.

My quip to CodeBlue was just that, a quip.

Hugs

Bren

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit