What Are Some of Your Favorite Urban Legends About JWs???

by minimus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    Although this was meant to scare me, being a teenager deprived of dating, sexual contact, and permission to masturbate, it actually came across as slightly erotic.

It's amazing how much eroticism is hidden in religion and religious images isn't it... please feel free to give more details!

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

Jesus wouldn't have flown first class, hmmmmmm.

• minimus
    minimus

But Christ would've.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    I too heard about demonized objects not burning. Also heard about a woman that had found a book in her home awhile after she had been studying she forgot to throw away. It was on the occult. It was late at night so she put it on her front porch and was going to walk it out to the garbage in the morning. Apparently she heard noises in the night outside her window and no one was there. When she woke up in the morning the book was laying on the kitchen table. She of course tried to burn it and it wouldn't burn. Not sure how she finally got rid of this indestructable object.

good grief. my sister called me one day and asked me to come get a book out of the trash for her. she found her daughter reading it and threw it away. her daughter fished it out of the trash, so my sister got the brilliant idea to throw it in the Weber and try to burn it. but it wouldn't burn so she thought the book was demonized. so she called me to come get it and "i could have it if i wanted". lmfao! hmm, not good enough to be invited to her "anniversary party", but good enough to come over and fish out a demonized book... the book was "The Bell Jar", by Sylvia Plath, one of my favorite authors. i felt a little like one of the Ghost Busters driving over there, but the fact is i saved a book from a heinous death. i think it is a sin to burn books, except JW materials, of course -- i would happily take a torch to those!

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

'a woman' who had a problem with masturbation, was 'at it' one night when a demon came along and raped her.

that drivel was told to me when i was a visiting a jw family in sweden.

• glitter
    glitter

A JW told me that *he* - not even a friend of a friend - was in bed one night and it started the levitate off the ground then started crashing into the floor... I said "Yeah, there's something called sleep paralysis that's to blame for alien abduction memories and..." "No, no, it really happened, when I called out to Jehovah it stopped!".

The imagery in the JW faith is clearly so horrific that it gives grown men vivid nightmares or makes them hallucinate! Or fib to scared people in to the Org...

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I beleive most of these Urban Legends originated in the Yearbooks, and became exagerrated over time.

Blondie posted:

*** g85 11/22 p. 9 Bomb Blast Levels Kingdom Hall in Australia ***

"It could never happen in a country like Australia!" But it did. At 9:35 Sunday morning, July 21, 1985, David Winder began his Bible discourse in the Casula Kingdom Hall of Jehovah?s Witnesses, in Sydney. Twenty-five minutes later, a bomb blast blew him through the roof, demolished the hall, killed one man, and sent to the hospital 46 of the 109 present. It couldn?t happen in Australia, but it did. This firsthand report from the Watch Tower Society?s branch office in Australia reveals the horror and the tragedy of that morning, but it also underlines the thrilling determination and faith of the Witnesses there to press on in meeting together and in publishing the good news of Jehovah?s Kingdom

I don't if this was in the original Awake, but I recall the reason given that more were not injured was because the David Winder had requested the congregation look up a scripture, therefore the majority of people had their heads down towards their bibles.
  • xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Oh and that one person who was killed, was probably leading a "double life" and was guilty of immorality or devil worship or something like that.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    1) Brother Knorr ( former WTBTS president) flying first class on an airliner and sitting next to Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton ( famous American movie star celebrities at the time) . Story was that he gave them a "good witness" and left them with a "Truth" book ( at the time; the new publication " The Truth that leads to eternal life" was the answer to all Bible studies).

The Princess Di and Charles getting the Family Life book

Yeah, we can see those books really worked, huh?

laters

kaykay_mp

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Favorite JW urban legend I heard one time - that actor Jon Cryer was studying to be a Witness. That was around the time of his role in "Pretty in Pink", so as a Witness I thought maybe he was my spiritual brother!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit