Does the Bible scare anyone else here sometimes?

by missy04 126 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hello Missy04. Welcome to this board

As will have already gathered , this place is full of disparate viewpoints and you will not get one consensus answer. However, it is a great start to further research . Please check things out calmly as a learning project .

Persanally, I am absolutely sure of only two things, 1] that we had a creator and designer since blind evolution does not answer the necessary questions to my satisfaction 2] that God will never punish people for making an honest choice about beliefs, even if we should choose "Wrong" . The god that I know is not like that .

The internet is wonderful, keep searching and share with us what you find

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

Jez:

Do the names Ruth and Esther sound familiar?

Blues Brother:

God most certainly will punish those who know the truth and then chose not act on it.

afin

• Mutz
    Mutz

The Bible doesn't scare me. What scares me is what people do with it. Twisting meaning into it's words and using it as an excuse for endless horrors and general shittiness.

• under74
    under74

I agree with what Czar and Mutz are saying here...it's a compilation of stories put together and it's only frightning knowing that there are some people that use the bible as a "god's owner manual." --A Friend In Need- are you serious? Why would god punish bluesbrother for using the mind god gave him? That's not a very loving god, is it?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Get saved - or be saved ?

Just ask

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well if you don't want to loose too much time in "IT" cause life can be short ... Read :

• Leoalia : Cause she knows what's she's talking about
    • Narkissos : Quoted in Leoalia's poste cause this guy studied the bible in the WTBS and out religion
    • Mutz : Cause he just put it in a simple way for you to understand from what comes your fears

I mean you tell yourself about the inconsistencies ... So it's not knew to you ? ... So what are you gonna do ? Following every rules to be sure of what ? NOTHING !!! Just be honnest with you and "your God".

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Persanally, I am absolutely sure of only two things, 1] that we had a creator and designer since blind evolution does not answer the necessary questions to my satisfaction 2] that God will never punish people for making an honest choice about beliefs, even if we should choose "Wrong" . The god that I know is not like that .

The internet is wonderful, keep searching and share with us what you find

Well said BLUES. The Bible is a collection of many books....IMO, some inspired and some not-so-inspired. But there are "treasures" to be found. Keep it simple... follow the example of Jesus in loving unconditionally, and keep searching..... LIFE is all about the Journey to discover "truth". (my 2 cents)

PS... don't be so hard on yourself thinking you're going to take a misstep.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Today at the church I sometimes go to they quoted a part of a sermon from a well known theolgin of 200 years ago in the US. Now at that time the preponderance of religion was of the Calvinistic, Puritanical bent. This man was known for his fiery oratory. He said that below us is an open pit, the fires of hell burn hot and lick about our feet. We are as a spider, hung upon a thin silk web, dangling over that pit. God, he says, has control of that string, and he despises us, he thinks we should all be cast into hell. Nothing we do or say, says this man, will ever be good enough for god to change his opinion of us as being filthy degraded sinners worthy of being tormented forever.

It was because of that type of thinking that other faiths were adopted, that were inclusive rather than exclusive, that believe that we are born imperfect and not as inherent sinners worthy of destruction, that all are worthy of saving, and in fact are saved.

Now, I only go to this place occasionally, but it certainly fits with my image of the divine. It just goes against nature to suggest that god is that evil and vindictive angry and destructive. Not to mention a sick twisted sense of humor if he actually gets his jollies off on playing mind games with his followers.

I'm not a christian, but I have read the bible a lot. And, I have read a lot of secular material about the early church, and the politics of how the bible came to be fashioned into the book we know it today. All I can say is, if you do believe it, take Jesus as your model, he was loving, kind, inclusive, hung out with all manner of interesting and incorrigible people, and even told the murderer on the next stake/cross over that he would be in paradise with him that day (not after attending meetings, studying, and x number of months of field service followed by baptism).

In my case I take a whole 'nother tack, but thats another topic in and of itself.

Just keep open to new ideas, pray for guidance, and form your own opinions. Anyone that tells you that you are going to die forever or burn for that is full of shit (IMO). Good luck!

Sherry

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

Sherry:

With all due respect for your beliefs, it was robbers who were on torture stakes beside Jesus. He said to them "Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in paradise." The comma coming after the word today denotes he was telling them that day, not that they'd be in paradise that day.

I agree that religious faith should be inclusive and that all are worthy of being saved. So does God. That is why he is allowing this time for people to return to him.

afin

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

afin,

Why exactly would Jesus need to stress that he was telling this to the criminal on that day?

pseudo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit