Does the Bible scare anyone else here sometimes?

by missy04 126 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

afin,

It only fits if Jesus and the criminal were still alive the next day. I pretty sure that you do not believe that they were.

Here are a couple of links to previous threads concerning the afterlife beliefs of the Jews prior to and during the first century.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/63386/973216/post.ashx#973216
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/63946/988434/post.ashx#988434

pseudo

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Does the Bible scare anyone else here sometimes

Only if it's being thrown at my head, especially that big hardcover NWT. As far as its content, no. The thing that scares me is the WT's doctrines.

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

psuedo:

I'm telling you tonight, I will see you tomorrow. (common enough expression).

My point is, I'm telling you something tonight. Jesus was telling the robber something that day. As far as that goes, Jesus never did say when he'd see the robber in paradise, just that he would see him there.

afin

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

SS:

Men today are not able to do miracles as Jesus did. That was for a limited time for a certain purpose. You remind me of the ones who criticized Jesus when he was dying on the stake. They said if he could do such miracles, why didn't he help hinself.

Acolytes is not a scriptural word so really can't apply here.

afin

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Guys, this is a Greek or Semitic idiom we're talking about. The Bible wasn't written in English. We need to look specifically at how this expression was used in Greek -- and whether any time element was ever included in the formula. See my last post for a discussion on this.

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

leo:

And your final sentence the society pretty much lucked out on this one and now your point is?

afin

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

afin,

Have you followed the links I gave you?

Here are a two abbreviated quotes from Jewish writings prior to the NT.

(17)After our death in this fashion Abraham and Isaac and Jacob will receive us, and all our forefathers will praise us." (18)And to each one of the brothers as they were dragged away, those who were left said, "Do not shame us, brother, nor be traitor to our brothers who have already died."

(36)Then the place of torment shall appear, and over against it the place of rest; the furnace of hell shall be displayed, and on the opposite side the paradise of delight.

Follow the links, read the information, and come back with a reasonable argument in support of the NWT's placement of the comma.

pseudo

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/63386/973216/post.ashx#973216
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/63946/988434/post.ashx#988434

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

psuedo:

You can show me all the links you want, I only take my information from the NWT. I figure the writers of it are far more knowlegeable than you or I or anyone else on this board. I respect it as the word of God.

afin

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

afin,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking at the NT within its historical context. In order to do this it is necessary to look at non-canonical writings of the Jews prior to and during the first century. I never said that you had to base your faith on their content. If you refuse to examine how early Christians fit within the Jewish society of that time period, then that is your choice.

pseudo

• missy04
    missy04

WOW, you guys are quick!

Thanks so much for replying. It helps alot to get everybody's opinions and comments. I don't think I've ever been replied to that fast, even in a chatroom lol

You guys are really cool.

I am going to stay with my big sis tomorrow night, and I'm sure we'll talk about it at her house, too.

A friend in need,

I mean no disrespect,

If one religion claims to be the only true religion, and the members believe that they should not question, how is that reasonable? Would Jesus ask for that? only in MY opinion, (and everyone is entitled to their own), that is a dangerous thing.

I don't know nearly as much about the Witnesses as you or the other members do so I really do sincerely apologize in advance if I have any wrong ideas.

Missy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit