Dating a JW info

by Lady Lee 115 Replies latest social relationships

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Confucious Thanks for the link to the original thread and the update. I have added them both to the list for Best of series.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way but the main thing is that you have found someone now to be happy with

For those who want to read both threads here are the links (highly recommend them)

"Worldy" girfriend or JW girlfriend... Help me choose

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/61598/1.ashx

"Worldy Girlfriend or JW Girlfriend... Help Me Choose" - ONE YEAR LATER

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/78290/1.ashx
  • M.J.
    M.J.

Great post from Nos. Like it has been said, I really wish I would have considered the points he makes a number of years ago. I broke things off with my inactive JW girlfriend after she expressed to me that she was planning on eventually becoming an active JW again. Then after a week of anguish, and during a period of total weakness, I caved in and went back to her, and optimistically came to an "agreement" with her that we would TOGETHER seek to find the truth, whatever that may be. Well now its a few years later and here I am, a constant cloud over my head, becoming gray from the stress, and using up many hours of my life on websites such as this in order to find solace and some rays of hope for my family situation.

Here's my advice in hindsight: when you are dating, the entire world seems to revolve around your partner and the relationship. If the relationship is going well, everything is going well. If it's going badly, the world seems to be coming to an end. You really tend to lose perspective on what other components of your life are truly valuable to you. Basic freedoms, goals, aspirations, family relationships, etc. In the end, your happiness will depend largely on how compatible your union with this person is with these other components. Don't for a minute neglect them. If compromised they will eventually steal the whole glamorous spotlight away from your "wonderful relationship" and you will end up cynical about how blind and star struck you once were...

• bestofme123
    bestofme123

LL--

thanks again for the information. i have done some more research with the other information you have given me. i havent really gotten to talk to him about it yet...but from what i saw of him today it seemed like he already made up his mind. i kno his family is extremely serious about this religion which also scares me a little. i was wondering....who is considered an elder? grandparents or actual watchtower people? thanks. bestofme123

• bestofme123
    bestofme123

i have a question for M.J.--

i am in a simliar situation as you...not as severe, but my boyfriend has decided to practice the religion activly again after two years. i am debating on whether or not to stay with him as this religion is a bit frightening to me. do you have any advice?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    who is considered an elder? grandparents or actual watchtower people?

Elders are appointed men (and only men) in the congregations. It has nothing to do with age or wisdom but rather who will best see that people follow the rules (although they would say "shepherd the flock"). Elders are the ultimate controls within the conngregations. If some "sin" is committed people will report those "sins" to the elders. The elders can establish a "judicial committee" which is similar to a court but you are allowed no lawyer and have no rights. If a person fails to attend a judicial committee when requested they can be thrown out. This is called a "loving" action meant to keep the cong clean.

Example: If you and your bf have had sex and he feels sufficiently guilty about committing a "sin" he may feel obligated to report himself to the elders. Generally in a situation like this the elders would recommend he stop seeing you and "study, go to meeting and service and pray more" to overcome his desire to sin some more. If he agrees and says he is really sorry (shows himself as repentant of his gross sin) then he may not be thrown out but he will be closely watched to make sure he does not see you. (This has actually happened to a few people here). If he reufuses to stop seeing you or stop having sex then the elders have the power to disfellowship him (throw him out).

Elders are the ultimate power and control within the JWs on the cong level

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    when you are dating, the entire world seems to revolve around your partner and the relationship.

I'd like to expand on this if I may,

Normally, when a couple begin dating, they go through a phase of infatuation (commonly mistaken as "love"). In my experience, the phase of infatuation causes people do make the stupidest decisions and mistakes. After the infatuation state, the person moves into the "comfortable" stage of the relationship. All the stupid decisions and mistakes become part of the "comfortable" stage.

When I began dating my wife, I basically viewed her a just another woman I was dating. I didn't view her as the most wonderful thing that had come into my life, and I never put her on a pedestal. Basically, I just moved from a "dating" stage to the "comfortable" stage when we entered a long term relationship. This prevented me from making a lot of stupid decisions and mistakes.

The side effect is that I never went through the infatuation stage. The feeling of infatuation is absolutely wonderful, but I never really experienced it with my wife. Looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way.

You really tend to lose perspective on what other components of your life are truly valuable to you. Basic freedoms, goals, aspirations, family relationships, etc. In the end, your happiness will depend largely on how compatible your union with this person is with these other components. Don't for a minute neglect them.

I agree with this. In other words, don't build your life on the foundation of another person's existance. Build your life on your own existance. Keep what's important to you. If you remove important parts of your life, your building of life will crack, crumble, and you'll have to do a lot of maintenance to prevent your life from falling apart. If you build your life on the existance of another person and that person leaves you, your building will completely fall apart. You then have to start rebuilding.

i was wondering....who is considered an elder?

Higher ups in the JW religion are elders. Pretty much the equivalence of a priest.

i am debating on whether or not to stay with him as this religion is a bit frightening to me. do you have any advice?

If the religion is definately not for you, don't become part of it. Since your boyfriend is part of it, he will be pressured to either leave you, or have you study, become baptized, and marry you.

It's one or the other in this religion. In his eyes, these are the only two options. This is why many people will tell you to run. Leaving will save you from a lot of frustration and heartache.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Bestofme:

I didn't make it very clear, but the reason my situation is "severe" is because I now find myself married to a full-blown JW with a couple of young children as the result of my choice several years ago to stay together with my fringe JW girlfriend.

my boyfriend has decided to practice the religion activly again after two years. i am debating on whether or not to stay with him as this religion is a bit frightening to me. do you have any advice?

It sounds to me like he has already made up his mind. Has he been baptized? My girlfriend was. If he has not been baptized then you may have a fighting chance of steering him away before he commits, but it will take lots of time, reaserch and commitment on your part. I read a success story from Family_Man in this situation: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/76637/1238510/post.ashx#1238510

But if he has been baptized, as was my wife, then his mind will be much more closed to anything outside of the organization. Don't underestimate how bound to the Watchtower Society he actually is. There are many strong psychological factors which will cement him to the WTS (and all it's dogmatic legalism) as the only possible pathway. There are strong emotional hooks to the JW community and the JW promises. There are also strongly implanted fears and guilt about straying from the organization. As trivial as this may look in writing, anyone here can attest to the POWER of these forces on the JW mind (check out the topic: "best of...cult information"). So even if you DO make the commitment and effort to try to make him see things objectively, the odds are very stacked against you.

As the woman, you will be expected to be submissive and accepting of the direction and headship of your husband. In this respect your situation could likely develop to be worse than mine.

In all fairness, however, my wife is truly sincere in her beliefs and is a woman of good and strong character. Beyond the intrusion of the WTS on my home life, we have a good and workable relationship (albeit with sacrifices and effort). But my main stress in life is centered on the fate of our children. I simply cannot bear the thought of our kids growing up under the 'tower of fear and all that comes with it. Thus, the principle focus of my life has become to strategically rescue my family from this madness. To be honest, my kids are the only factor that keeps me going on. If not for the kids, sadly, I would throw up my hands and walk away from this thing...

So based on the luxury of hindsight, there are much more fulfilling paths available than the one I have taken. There are much better things to do than to spend countless hours of research on the Watchtower Society or on mind control issues. There are plenty of things to worry about without having to worry about indoctrinization of your kids. It is far preferable to avoid the stress I have brought upon myself in the path I have chosen. As Nosferatu said, JWs make up a small part of the population. Honestly, there is no shortage of better options just waiting for you out there, no matter how hard it may be to realize at the moment. The biggest hurdle is the initial breakup, and sticking with your decision. Better to go through a month of pain than a lifetime of stress and anguish. From there it things will only get better. I hope this helps you.

PS: one thing I must mention is that my wife very nearly lost her life for refusing a blood transfusion, nearly leaving me a widower with children. The whole intrusion of the WTS and its adherents into my life and the life of my family during this time, in this situation, was excruciating and has left some very deep scars.

• MM090503
    MM090503

My bf has agreed to go to the Alpha Course with me.

I have a question though: Is it right of me to ask my bf to stop all the activities (Book Study and meetings) he does with the witnesses while we take the course? I dont' want him to become unhappy, but in a way I feel that he cannot focus on christianity if he is being told one thing then doing another with the witnesses. This week has been very depressing for me because I'm so confused. i have decided that after we do the alpha course and he still feels the same way him and i are done.

thanks mm

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Is it right of me to ask my bf to stop all the activities (Book Study and meetings) he does with the witnesses while we take the course?

Let him make his choice. JWs can't just go away from the meetings for a while and then come back. They'll get love-bombed when they return. When any member of the congregation misses even one meeting, they're greeted at the next with "Oh, we missed you at the last meeting" or "We missed your comments at the Watchtower Study". They get guilt trips from up to 50 people. It'll add to his stress.

Let him decide what he does. He has to make the decision of leaving.

• bestofme123
    bestofme123

MJ-- thanks for the awesome advice...its really helping me with my decision making. i dont know if he was baptized a JW...its somthing i really need to find out. im really hoping he wasnt because i may still have time to direct him in the right path.

i have a question for anyone out there--->is it possible to be a JW but not activly practice it. or better yet... if you decide to start practicing it again and later (say a couple of months) decide to still be a JW but to stop practicing...is that possible without being shunned or disfellowshiped or whatever?

thanks bestofme123

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit