Michael Moore--Bill O'Reilly finally, on Foxnews tonight

by sf 123 Replies latest social current

• Golf
    Golf

Yiz, maybe we need to compare war combatants, that is your friends and my community acquaintances. The stories would differ. We have a legion post in our community and the stories you hear are not thumbs up. One fellow acquaintance use to pick-up body parts in Vietnam. Nightmares? Yes, indeed!

As to age, I remember giving a suggestion to a 20 year-old and I said, when your 30-35 get back to me about the things were talking about. Well, the15 years passed and when I asked the person if they remembered what I had said, the comment was, yes, the light bulbs came on at the age of 35. As I said, I too was once that age. True, some youngsters are mature at a young age but they don't have the experience. They may be equipped to fight but are they equipped to handle the blood and guts of their fellow buddies flying about? The people in my community who served in the war are not the same emotionally and mentally.

Guest 77

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Do most 19 year olds have the maturity and wisdom of a thirty year old? NO!...However the overwhelming vast majority of 19 year old soldiers are head and shoulders above their peers in maturity.

• Robdar
    Robdar

My brother (not a baptized JW) joined the navy at 18. Went to boot camp, "got broken, then built back up". He came home sporting a shirt that said "Kill a Commie for Mommie". Very mature that.

If you call "mature" somebody that has been programmed to not think but to merely follow orders, he was mature. If you call "mature" somebody who was ready to kill, he was mature. I, however, do not call that mature.

He was older when his ship blew up and he volunteered for clean up duty. Although already mature in years, he matured quite a bit more mentally when he waded into chest high water to retrieve the remains of his dead buddies. He matured much more over the next few days while the ship limped back to port. He was very mature mentally by then. And honestly, I think that that was the week that he started to die inside.

What I am trying to say is that he did not get this maturity while in boot camp. He got it by living life--by experience. It is something that developed over years of training. It is something that culminated on that fateful day in April 1989. Had my brother not outranked some of his buddies that dreadful day in April, he would have stopped maturing all together.

• Golf
    Golf

Robdar, you said it well. I socialize with these once upon a time young men of tender years, and their totally different. The natural cheerfulness is gone, they have nothing but bitterness and emptiness. To generate a spark of laughter and fun within them is a chore.

How is it that these young men are mature enough to kill but not 'considered' mature enough to drink in bars?

Guest 77

• Simon
    Simon
    However the overwhelming vast majority of 19 year old soldiers are head and shoulders above their peers in maturity.

Yeru. Please dont start with the fantasy ramblings about soldiers being more decent human beings and all that.

They are no different to other groups of people - some are nice, some commit hiddeous crimes.

It could be suggested that signing up shows a certain lack of maturity and common sense.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Speaking of committing hideous crimes...hasn't the person that you tout on your banner ads ADMITED to commiting hideous crimes?

Oh wait, he's a Democrat and a liberal so all is forgiven.

LABD

• Simon
    Simon

I bet you are good at "spot the dog" and "where's wally" as well aren't you?

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Actually, Simon, I left childish games behind when I grew up and became a Republican.

However, my son when he was about 4 or 5 loved Where's Waldo. Alas, he to grew up and left those things behind.

LABD

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Actually, Simon, I left childish games behind when I grew up and became a Republican.

I've yet to see any proof of that.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Speaking of committing hideous crimes...hasn't the person that you tout on your banner ads ADMITED to commiting hideous crimes?

Oh wait, he's a Democrat and a liberal so all is forgiven.

Yanno, I would rather have Kerry, a veteran, a Navy officer, awarded Silver Star, Bronze Star with Combat "V," three Purple Hearts for Vietnam War service, 1966-70 as Commander in Chief instead of W. who got favored treatment and couldn't be bothered to show up for a year while a member of the National Guard. How can Bush understand that which he has never experienced?

Oh, wait, he's a Republican and a conservative so all is forgiven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit