What are Americans taught about U.S and what do you really believe?

by sleepy 160 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sleepy
    sleepy

Like I said if theres not a law it not enforced.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Huh?

Me thinks Sleepy needs to come to the states and get a reality check....

• sleepy
    sleepy

Love to know why the USA is so nationalistic compared to other western countries though.And yes I am listening to you.I dont think everyone thinks alike, but large groups of people can have common opinions.And you seam to give the impression that because you dont think in a strongly nationalistic way others dont.Well they do, and it can have bad effects.Buy the waythe Watchtower seamed to give the impression that flag saluting and swearing aligence was pretty much a mandetery standard across the US. I guess I dont like strong nationlism, from any nation including my own! And like it or not that impression does come across strongly about the US. If this post tires you by the way dont answer. Just been to France, now they drive like right idiot..............oh dear I cant stop.

• Xena
    Xena

THE PATRIOT?S POEM

Oh Yes!
    We?ve been here before
    Our backs against the wall
    From shimmering shore
    To towering tor
    We await St George?s call
    But who will lead us?
    Who can save us?
    Is England doomed to fall?
    Oh No!
    We must unite
    Put our enemies to flight
    And restore true English rule

-----------------------------------------------------------------

YOU ARE ENGLISH, RIGHT?
    So, what does it feel like to be CHEATED? HOW?
    By the BARNET FORMULA, that?s how. WHAT?S THAT?
    The Barnet Formula was devised by a Professor Barnet (now Lord Barnet) and put in place by the then Labour government in 1976. It?s purpose is simple....
    ..... to ensure that the people of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland receive proportionately more money than the people of England for schools, hospitals, law and order, housing, roads and tourism.
    Twenty-eight years later, Lord Barnet has disowned his 1976 formula, but it is STILL in force, and the people of England are STILL receiving less per head of population for the above services. But how can that be? After all, England is STILL the engine room of the UK?s economy!
    NOW DO YOU FEEL CHEATED?

--------------------------

http://www.langust.ru/review/xeno-br1.shtml#nat-ide

lol this was a fun site...

How They See Others

English views on foreigners are very simple. The further one travels from the capital in any direction, the more outlandish the people become.

When it comes to their neighbours in the British Isles, the English are in absolutely no doubt as to their own innate superiority. This they see as no petty prejudice but rather as a scientific observation. The Irish are perceived as being wildly eccentric at best, completely mad at worst. The Welsh are dishonest and the Scots are dour and mean.

-------------------------------

I could go on, but the point is every nation has people who are more nationalistic than others, to judge an entire nation by them is simplistic at best....

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Yeah, Americans are "more nationalistic." Anyone remember this one?

The sun never sets on the British Empire

Dude, take a chill pill, and stop listening to KPFK or KPFA or whatever lunatic leftist crap you are listening to. This subject has been pounded into the ground so far it's coming out through China.

The fact is that every nation's inhabitants hold themselces or their country in higher esteem than others. The French think they are superior, the same with the Germans, and the Italians, the Indians, the Chinese, the Japanese. Get over it and move on. It's a fact of human nature to say that we are better than you because of __________ (insert wahtever you belong to here).

I'm out.

LABD

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Okay, I'll play. I haven't read this entire thread, so if I'm repeating please forgive me.

Realize Americans rarely agree on anything, and there are competitive and intense rivalries at every level of our society. I live near Plano, Texas and West Plano dislikes East Plano, Dallas dislikes Plano, Houston dislikes Dallas, and most of the U.S. dislikes Texas (damn Yankees). We all argue with another, turning the volume up louder and louder until someone outside the country says something critical. Then we tend to turn that volume on them. Sort of a "I can criticize my family but you can't" attitude.

America is also a country of extremes, in that we tend to swing to and fro constantly throughout our history. When I was a kid growing up in the 70s, the last word you could use to describe the U.S. was "nationalistic". So now we've swung way over to the other side. Probably in 20 or 30 years we'll swing back the other way. Liberal to conservative and back again.

Just wondering what exactly Americans (U.S.A) are taught about their country in school

First America is a very diverse place. Different schools in different parts of the country will focus and emphasize different parts of history.

I was taught the country was formed, and broke away from Britain due to excessive and unfair taxation. I was even taught that the colonists were not unified in their revolution, that (roughly) 1/3 fought the war, 1/3 were against the war and 1/3 didn't give a damn or were neutral. I was taught the Civil War (my grandfather called it the War Between the States!) was fought over states' rights. I was taught about the monopolies that developed in the early 20th century and how laws were created to guard against them. I was taught about 'yellow journalism' and read reasons for libel and slander laws. I was taught about 'Jim Crow' laws and how Martin Luther King and others led the civil rights movement.

Do you really salute a flag, do you swear allegiance to the country

When I was in school back in the 70s, our school did not do the Pledge of Allegience every morning. Back then most kids my age considered it hokey to be patriotic. Today most schools do but it is often limited to elementary (grades 1-5) school.

Are you taught that you fought for freedom, and that America is THE land of the free, etc etc?

If you're referring to the original revolution in the 18th century, then yes children are taught that the war was fought to break away from Britain. However, schoolchildren are not taught America is the only land of freedom. That's silly. Everyone knows about Canada.

Do you actually believe what you are taught?

Well history only gives you what you're willing to put in. I'm a major history buff and also being by nature a very skeptical person I've read quite a lot of about American history. Now that I'm a parent and going through the current curriculum with my kids today it seems that the schools are by and large accurate. I don't detect a lot of nationalistic rhetoric. They don't go as in depth as I would like (I suppose that is saved for college) , but most people don't care for history or civics.

Like any other country there are extremeists who do believe in extreme nationalism, 'America first', etc. And most people like living here (else they would emigrate elsewhere) and prefer this form of government, but I don't see anyone being rabid about it.

"We've formed a new nation here today. Rougher, simpler, more violent, less restrained. The eyes of the world will be on our experiment." -- 1776

• sleepy
    sleepy

YOU ARE ENGLISH, RIGHT? No I'm Welsh.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I don't think I should read this topic ... because you all said "more" about that on specific threads on incounscious side of this matter ...

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Also I agree with Blondie's first post ! GLOBALY

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

L_A:

The sun never sets on the British Empire

That wasn't patriotic - we owned near everyone's ass!!!

Actually it was the closest the world had ever come to a single world-wide government.

Anyhow Sleepy has a point. He's Welsh, and everyone know's they are dishonest (something on the Internet told me so, and thus it must be true)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit