What are Americans taught about U.S and what do you really believe?

by sleepy 160 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sleepy
    sleepy

But Englishman we already know the English think too much of themselves.Wink, wink.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Why have I got a british flag not a Welsh one? The Welsh one looks far cooler.

• 1VTHokie
    1VTHokie

I remember way back in the 70's when I was in school and the whole school recited the Pledge of Allegiance (before and after me being a JW) that most people said the words but didn't really pay that much attention to it. They just wanted to get it over with to get back to passing notes and talking about the last football game. lol You just don't really think about it that much.

People here in the US just don't go around with their hand over their hearts all the time thinking about what a wonderful country we have. lol I think that people do get defensive when they preceive others as trashing us though. I guess some feel that a boundry is being crossed like when when someone says that your kid is ugly or something or that your favorite football team has no talent. It pisses people off.

I think E-man's comment about a lot of this political bickering being largly cultural is a valid point. If you lived here, you would understand people's reactions. On the other hand, if we lived in the UK, for example, we would probably not understand the silly Americans' reactions. make sense? That's the way I see it anyhow.

Rita

• shamus
    shamus
    American media does give the impression that America does see itself as superiour?

I don't think that all Americans think that. Some do... but those are just the arrogant ones. Those kinds of people are everywhere in society, not just in America. I have climbing buddies who are from the states, and know that they have this 'stigma' attached to them.

How much is the media's fault? That is where I feel the problem is.

America is a 'free democracy'. If the people in America feel that things must be changed, then they will change them. It takes time for these changes to occur, though. It does not happen overnight.

The real problem is how America presents itself in the world front, IMO. I am not at all saying that I could do a better job than the president, so I will leave it at that. It would probably be a lot better off if it would just keep out of the middle east, but I am no political scientist, or whatever the bleep... nations that stand by while things go wrong get blamed; nations that help get blamed. America will always have these problems while it is a 'superpower' in the world scene.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Sleepy:

or that you enjoy freedoms that most do not

Here is the Bill of Rights. How many countries have these?? Ive left out Ammendments 11-27 but you get the point. Freedom of Religion, Press, Assembly? Gun ownership (besides Canada, what Western countires allow Gun Ownership? the swiss do...who else?)? No illegal searches? The right to Vote? To get RID of your leaders! Though many people were not given these rights - ie Native Americans and Slaves.

We are the "land of the Free" becuase (at least in a Libertarian/States Rights theory) we are allowed to make our own choices, as long as they do not interfere with the rights of others. I can do whatever I want if I try hard enough.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Amendment VII

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

If I said this once, then I've said it a thousand times: The U.S. IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT, a "free democracy". It is a democratic republic.

For a bunch of people that claim to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo educated way can't you get that straight?????????????

The founding fathers distanced themselves from the Athenian democracy and leaned more toward Spartan oligarchy in forming the basis for the American governmental system.

For crying out loud, read the Constitution, The Federalist Papers, and The Anti-Federalist Papers. The latter two are the thought processes that gave birth to the American form of government.

LABD

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker
    The U.S. IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT, a "free democracy". It is a democratic republic.

Of course. We vote others into office who vote for us

Could you imagine the problems if we had to Vote on every law/bill/commite/fillibuster/judge appt/ etc..etc.. in both our State and Federal Congresses??

What a nightmare.

• shamus
    shamus

I don't see democracy as free, either. It isn't perfect, but that's the way that things are. Better than having a dictator, no?

I thuroughly hate how you either get party A) Liberal or B) Conservative... er whatever... . So to those who think there is a better way, please let us know, and get crackin! To just sit and pout does nothing to solve issues.

And I really don't think that many people here claim to be very "educated". If everyone needs to go to University to just live in a democracy then I guess things are pretty well screwed to the hilt.

• sleepy
    sleepy

America is the land of the free because it allows gun ownership?????? You'll have a debate on what freedom means there if your not careful. Crazy151drinker if you don't realise other countries have these freedoms and more your delusional. All of the other points are true of many other countries some to an even greater degree. the true test of freedom is not what is in law but how freedoms are put into practise.

• Aalena
    Aalena

Part of having a respresentative democracy is having citizens that are informed(educated). Not everyone has the time to research every political agenda so that is why we have party platforms. Philosophically I do not know if that is good or bad=) Blindly voting with your party platform doesn't seem very responsible to me... but I think it is better than not being involved in the vote at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit