Please Respond To Survey! 25 more needed please.

by Big Jim 113 Replies latest jw friends

• Monica
    Monica

My parents were reached through the door-to-door work in 1975, when I was 5.

My mom brought in two others going door-to-door, but she was the only one in the family who was able to bring anyone else in.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

In one congregation I attended for a few months, I knew for sure of only one person that was not brought in under family influence; most members were second and third generation JWs.

The one non-family recruit they had was a Jewish girl who was studying covertly with the JWs when she was still a minor; she had strong parental opposition to her association with the WTBTS. When she turned eighteen, the local JWs helped her move out of her parents' house so she could get baptized. I suppose it was a real disappointment for her parents and her (former) religious community. I didn't hang around enough to find out how things turned out; I can only hope that she found out the truth about "the truth" before there was any permanent damage to her family relationships.

Even though it is many years ago, I can still vividly recall the gloating of the presiding overseer and his wife as the publicly declared their success the day after the young woman's eighteenth birthday.

This brings to mind the topic of the acceptability of religious conversion efforts directed towards minors by non-family, and with particular consideration of such efforts knowingly performed against the wishes of the minor's parents or legal guardian. If this isn't against the law, it damn well should be.

• chasson
    chasson

I Was found at door. I was fourteen. My parent had divorced one years before, and i Asked me many question about religion and the Bible at this time. I thinked that God answered my question by the witness's visit. But at this time, I didnt' know that God has a special sense of humor.

Bye

Charles

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

It seems for the most part about 95% + came in as a result of parents.

The response to this survey has been great, however I would be gratefull if I could get at least 100 responses. So if you read this please post a reply.

Thanks In Advance For Your Help.

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

First, I was raised into it, along with my other 5 siblings. Only one sibling is still a JW, along with my wacko parents.
    As for growth, I think it was Larc who said this:

The average growth rate of the Witnesses over the last 30 years is about 6%. The world population growth rate is between 1-2%. It is only in the last three years that the Witnesses have shown zero growth or decline in 22 of the developed nations. They are still growing in the underdeveloped nations. The overall global Witness growth rate is about 1/2 of 1% above the population growth rate.

I think that the "growth" also includes those that have left, and then for lack of a life, had returned. And remember, they are not having the same amount of growth as the Mormons. I think that Time magazine said they were growing at 11%. (I think it's more, but can't remember off hand)
    ofcmad

"Noah was a drunk and look what he accomplished." The Metatron/Dogma
  • mpatrick
    mpatrick

My mom and dad actually became JWs from the d2d. I was about four or five years old. My mom still says that becoming a witness saved her marriage. Funny, considering she was Catholic. I don't think they believe in divorce even if you have grounds.

Sounds like it had more to do with serving the Organization than serving God. Oh....I forgot that is the basis for all their teachings. Silly Me!

mpatrick

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

By the way, in my mom's defense she was also drug into Amway, Phone Cards, Long Distance Service, Air Purifiers, and I think every other get rich scheme.

• open_mind
    open_mind

I was brought in by my boss. None of my family members are jw's.

I know of only 2 people brought in by d2d work.

• chester
    chester

I was influenced into coming in by my wife.

She was influenced because of the death of our son and the hope of seeing him again in the resurrection.

She sought out a bible study because she had studied briefly when she was a little girl. Her father was probably found in the D2D.

Chester

• Latte
    Latte

Born into it. My mother became interested through an acquaintance in the 1960's. Got all revved up about 1975.

Latte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit