Please Respond To Survey! 25 more needed please.

by Big Jim 113 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Joel, you said that the witnesses have not grown faster than the population in the last 30 years. I have calculated the numbers and the results are shown next:

The average growth rate of the Witnesses over the last 30 years is about 6%. The world population growth rate is between 1-2%. It is only in the last three years that the Witnesses have shown zero growth or decline in 22 of the developed nations. They are still growing in the underdeveloped nations. The overall global Witness growth rate is about 1/2 of 1% above the population growth rate.

My mother's three aunts came in back in the 30's. One did not live near me, so I don't know how she faired. Of the two aunts, I can only remember them bringing in two people between them, besides my mother. My mother never brought in anyone. I don't think my sister has. She is still a Witness. I never did, but left at the age of 22.

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Hi Jim,

I was born into it. I believe that you get shafted to a greater degree if you are born into it. As a teenager, I had JW friends who were brought "into the 'truth'" as a result of parents who got sucked into the org. I am envious of the fact that they had at least the opportunity to partake in activities normal for youngsters. Like organized sports, or school related activities - the kinds of things that can instill positive qualities needed for emotional and social maturation. Children who were deprived of these types of normal activities find out later as adults how little in common they can have with other people. It can take many years to overcome the effects of the social isolation that is the natural result of being raised as a JW or any other cultish sect.

Jigrigger

• Gianluca
    Gianluca

I was a toddler when my parents became JW's.

• tergiversator
    tergiversator

My mom met an old friend from elementary school (Catholic school) who had become a witness, around the time my older brother was a baby. She moved and was found several years later at the door when I was a baby, and finally got baptized when I was five. She brought in my dad, who quickly da'd, then my brother (inactive) and I (da'd at 17).

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

I was born into it. My parents became witnesses in the early 50's. Someone came to my dad's place of business and left him a book to read, and as they say, the rest is history!

• Princess
    Princess

I was born into it. My husband was drug in at 13, I'm not sure if his mom was found door to door. She left years ago and we have been out for five.

I don't agree with jigrigger. I think it was better to be born into it, that way you have never participated in the forbidden things such as holidays, birthdays and sports and therefore don't really know what you are missing. I never really cared that much about it. I celebrated my first birthday at 27. I also found it really easy to make friends with people outside the borg. I was surprised that I had so much in common with them and they could care less about my religious background.

I especially like the friends who don't go to church. They are a lot more fun and don't try to save me.

Princess

"...and they lived happily ever after."

• paulvarjak
    paulvarjak

Nice comments Princess-

I just celebrated my first (28th) birthday this month. I was fourth generation balls-to-the-wall witness.

paul

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

My dad started studying (when I was about 6) with some of his co-workers. He got baptized a few years later. I was baptized when I was 16 basically because I knew it would thrill my dad. I had no idea what I was getting into. I was DF only 3 years later. A horrendous, terrible ordeal to lose my family, but now I look at it as a blessing in disguise. I too missed out on stuff as a child and adolescent and I really regret that. I feel my childhood was stolen from me.

Billygoat

• think41self
    think41self

Hi,

For your survey, you guessed it!

Born into it. My Aunt and Uncle were met in the door to door work, and they proceeded to spread it to all of her sisters, her mother, his parents and sister....and so on, and so on...

Just glad my kids are free now, along with me.

think41self

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

My Brother-in-law, whom I've NEVER met ( he refuses to meet a worldy guy like me, so I guess the first time I'll see him is at Papi's funeral), one day when my wife was about 14 he came home and announced that they were all Jehovah's Witnesses now (from being inactive catholics). SOOOO, all the kids started attending KH,all 7 of em. One died of AIDS but was reinstated from a DA before his death, and the brother in Law, Hiram, are the only ones who stayed active, all the rest have fallen away YEAAA!

YERUSALYIM
    God is truth, and light his shadow.

Plato

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit