Please Respond To Survey! 25 more needed please.

by Big Jim 113 Replies latest jw friends

• bajarama
    bajarama

My dad had a drinking buddie in the fifties who was a very weak witness, that dumb dub bastard would preach to my father when they would drink. My parents had six kids, I'm the youngest and the first to have left and never looked back. The cult like a terrible VD has spread it's dark shadow accross three generations of our family.

I've been working with my one of my sisters, she finally stood up to my mother and stayed home with her four kids, instead of going to the DC this year.

The rest of the family lives out of state and treat me like the Devil. I believe they're stuck in their dumb dubdom.

bajarama

• gsark
    gsark

Let's see, I was 'won over' at age 12 by my cousins, who said they had all these marriage problems and now that they were JW's all their problems had been resolved. The wife and two of the three children are not Witnesses as far as I know. They were very nice people, actually. I married when I turned 16 to another Witness, who was 21, he had been 'brought over' by his mother who had been 'brought over' by a friend at work I believe. Neither she nor 2 of the 3 children, including my then husband are any longer active Witnesses. Of our four children, only one is an active JW although not strong in the 'Truth' as far as I can see. She is my oldest. I think she is aware of the seven failed prophecies, and the 'scripturalness' of the blood issue and the shunning issue and others, but she will not unassimilate because she is married to a second generation Witness whose mother/father brought the kids all 'over' due a neighbor I believe. ISN'T FAMILY WONDERFUL!!!!!!

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

Response has been great could I possibly get 15 more replies.

Thamks in advance for your post.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

I was raised a Witness. My mother's father (married four times) married a "witness" the second go round. Weird situation, she wasn't much of a practicer, IMO. Wicked step-mother. Should have clued my mother in. My father came in through his Uncle and grand-parents. Don't know how they became witnesses. Dad came from a very disfunctional family and it provided a family and a purpose for him. Mom had started going to the KH, and married Dad when she was sixteen. Dad has been a regular pioneer for over forty years and Mom is pioneering now too.
    I pioneered for many years and have the discredit of showing at least nine people the light. Much to my chagrin, one of them became my bestest friend. Now of course she doesn't speak to me.
    TW

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Born into it (4th generation JW). My kids, I regret to say, are 5th generation JWs. I am the first of my family to leave permanently.

Sam Beli

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

Larc asked; "How many did you bring in as a result of the door to door work."

None, nada, zero...not even my kids, none got baptized although my 15 year old says he wants to, sometimes, after he has been with his witness cousins or friends. When he spends his time with neighborhood kids, he doesn't even bring it up. He occasionally says that we should get back to meetings, of which I reply, "I know" and that is usually the end of the matter. I would tell him how I really feel but he has a big mouth and would rat on me.

OB

P.S. I always had tremendous guilt that I had never gotten my "letters of recommendation" by bringing someone in, but no more!

• esther
    esther

D2D. We had just moved, so only knew my husband's workmates. Like lauralisa, I knew God's name. At least, I knew the tetragrammtron(sp?). Didn't know the bible, so studied with the 7 Day Adventists at the same time, and also asked one of my husband's workmates (a devout Christadelphian), to show me where the 'Truth' book was wrong. The trinity didn't make sense, so I stopped studying with the adventists. The only fault our Christadelphian friend found was to do with Satan, and his explanation there was to the effect that where the bible proved Satan existed it was an error.

The lack of racism in the congregation in my area was a major factor in my belief that JWs practiced the love that Jesus said there would be among his disciples.

I never converted anyone, even when I was given studies. I brought my children up in it, but they had missionaries to study with them.

esther

• Imagine
    Imagine

My husband and I were contacted in the door to door about 22 years ago. He wanted to prove them wrong, I was looking for something better for our children. We certainly made the wrong choice.

• anglise
    anglise

I came into it from d2d in the early 80's. Then other half was inveigled in by 'friendly' elders and we aventually bought up our 3 children in it.
    We are all out now.

• mommy
    mommy

I was raised in it. My mom was suckered by a sweet annointed lady named Helen, by d2d work. There was 8 kids, and 3 are still active. Well, one is borderline active.My dad Da himself a few years ago, and left my mom.

I can't wait to read the results of this survey. Also it was great to read all of the others experinces.
    wendy

Blind faith can justify anything~Richard Dawkins, The selfish gene

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit