Go Get Em COSBY!!!

by Flash 211 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi
    I think without over simplyfing matters that one culture ( black) and that of women have been fighting for the same at times or many times with a different outcome-- one which favors the woman. And I am trying to figure out why the difference is there and so prominent.

It's got to do with, as they say, the "paint job".

That article I posted is from an Irish American website. The second major reason he listed as to why the Irish in the 19th century were able to assimilate into American culture so quickly as opposed to recently freed slaves was because of the color of their skin. It's that simple. Until people come to terms with that, there will always be racial conflict in this country.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    So Frannie, you honestly think that having to work in the bowels of boat or in mining town, really compares to what you know about what Black people have been through in this country?

Yep.....as much as anyone else in this day and age, Bigboi.....but until a person really digs into the history of immigrants to this country, they don't realize how parallel the trials and tribulations of more than one ethnicity were. Some just weren't as well-advertised as others.

I just wish that people could get on with their lives and help each other onward and upward, instead of ragging on about what's happened to past generations. I prefer to live in the "now".......constantly shoving past mistakes in peoples' faces only fuels more fires that'll eventually hafta be put out.

Frannie B

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Yep.....as much as anyone else in this day and age, Bigboi.....but until a person really digs into the history of immigrants to this country, they don't realize how parallel the trials and tribulations of more than one ethnicity were. Some just weren't as well-advertised as others.

Maybe in some instances there just isn't that much to tell.

You're right though, most immgants to this country did have their share of trials and tribulations. But, maybe the fact that they immigrated here, says more about what eventually befell them than we in this day and age will ever realize.

just wish that people could get on with their lives and help each other onward and upward, instead of ragging on about what's happened to past generations. I prefer to live in the "now".......constantly shoving past mistakes in peoples' faces only fuels more fires that'll eventually hafta be put out.
    Well, the fact that people recognize past wrongs doesn't mean that they aren't able to get on with their lives. Nor does it mean that they are stuck in some state of suspended animation unable to progress. Rather, it's kinda like the ultimate form of progression. Like a wise man said....Those who don't learn from the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Satanus
    Satanus
    The second major reason he listed as to why the Irish in the 19th century were able to assimilate into American culture so quickly as opposed to recently freed slaves was because of the color of their skin. It's that simple. Until people come to terms with that, there will always be racial conflict in this country.

That's a red herring. East indians are dark, some darker that blacks, yet they assimilate quite well, even though there was/is resistance. Also, they came on the scene many yrs after blacks did. So, it's not skin color.

S

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I'm glad that Bill Cosby has the guts to speak out on this issue.

There are too many young people who are enamored with the gansta culture. Too many think that they can make a boatload of money by rapping like their favorite rap or hip-hop stars.

Like everything else, a small portion of this culture are making any money doing this. The other wannabee's are just emulating this lifestyle. Is it to their advantage? Sadly, in most cases, no.

What Bill Cosby is trying to tell young African American children is GET AN EDUCATION. Be better than everybody else. Make something of yourself instead of making excuses.

Today, EVERYBODY has the chance to get an education. It's amazing how many kids today squander that chance.

Schizzle my Hizzle my fizzle or whatever it's called is NOT going to pay the bills or put food on the table for anybody except for Snoop Doggy Dog.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    That's a red herring. East indians are dark, some darker that blacks, yet they assimilate quite well, even though there was/is resistance. Also, they came on the scene many yrs after blacks did. So, it's not skin color.

How many East Indians are there in the US? Are they truly assimilated or do they tend to live in their own parts of town....like Chinese immigrants and Hispanic and Blacks?

• bebu
    bebu

I agree with Cosby.

I hope more black leaders will risk ridicule and speak up for the well-being of the black community. It's stuff that's hard to hear, I'm sure, but it's stuff that needs to be said.

bebu

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    I hope more black leaders will risk ridicule and speak up for the well-being of the black community. It's stuff that's hard to hear, I'm sure, but it's stuff that needs to be said.

I agree Bebu and I do not understand this unwritten rule that was posted of earlier. Why would anyone who felt they may better anyones quality of life, pink, purple or otherwise not wish to speak on such matters to assure they get their message out?

• wednesday
    wednesday
    There was a time when irish were treated worse that blacks. Irish were given the job inside the holds of ships that were being loaded by black men up top. If an irish man was squashed, he was considered as worth less than a black man. That's why the blacks had the safer job. As a racial group in north america, they make above average income now.

That's just crazy.
    Italian miners in shanty towns, freezing, very little food,

no it isn't bigboi, have u not seen the movie called "gangs of new york" I higly recommend it. the irish wer treated like dogs.

There are many poor whites in the states who are in no better shape than the poor blacks. They don't get grants, and hand outs. they are treated worse than blacks in the south, poor white trash is what they are called. just uneducated poor white people. no one is giving them a break just b/c they are white. In fact, frequently, being white hinders them getting grants and loans that minorites often get.

we need to help all people get an education.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    There are too many young people who are enamored with the gansta culture. Too many think that they can make a boatload of money by rapping like their favorite rap or hip-hop stars.

Like everything else, a small portion of this culture are making any money doing this. The other wannabee's are just emulating this lifestyle. Is it to their advantage? Sadly, in most cases, no.

And sports too. Too many waste time practicing rather than studying. They're chasing what may be a hopeless dream that may never be a reality for them. Better to study and prepare for college than be sorry. Finding a 50 grand a year job is certainly better than possibily (or not) get a million dollar contract. Yiz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit