Go Get Em COSBY!!!

by Flash 211 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    However, the black race is unique in that they resent the white race. .

The Black race resents the White race??!?!?! This is news to me! To think I married a White man! I guess I missed the "Black Memo" where the rules were all laid out.

Why do people INSIST on making these blanket statements?

LOL..

However, one the charges I'm seeing bandied about here is blaming white people for our problems. I'm not sure if I've been guilty of doing the same. My unsurety comes from the fact that so many people, including yourself, are bringing it up so often.

Ditto.

• Flash
    Flash

Eyebrow2

By the way, I just got back from GA. I was there all week doing some paperwork for new employees. About 90% of them are black. And all of these jobs are technical positions. There are a lot of minorities in hi tech fields today...I am just as likely to talk to someone that is african american as white for most of the positions I have recruited for.

I'm glad to hear that. It seems that the black community may be divided into two parts, those quietly working to advance themselves and those who are stuck on blaming others for their situation.

I hate to go down the 'My Black Friends' road, even so, most of my black friends are better educated and have better jobs that me.

big boi

I think the gist of my posts here (unless I was trying to refute what I believed to an erroneous point of view) , when it comes to Cosby's comments at least, are aimed at trying to raise the bar of discussion concerning socioeconomic realities and the ever-present race issue. That has little to do with blaming anybody for anythig solely based on what color they happen to be.

After re-reading your posts I think your right, we are Philosphically not much different. I stand corrected and appologise.

What you say here could apply equally to children all over America. It's not a racial problem, it's a societal problem. Which is one of the things that makes Cosby's criticism so unfair.

This seems to be our only disagreement, and it is a small one. Not that what your saying isn't true, it's just that Cosby's main concern is the black cause. I don't think his wanting to focus more on that invalidates his arguement.

StinkyPantz

The Black race resents the White race??!?!?! This is news to me! To think I married a White man! I guess I missed the "Black Memo" where the rules were all laid out.

You were out that day!............I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Flash-

• bigboi
    bigboi
    After re-reading your posts I think your right, we are Philosphically not much different. I stand corrected and appologise.

Apology accepted.

This seems to be our only disagreement, and it is a small one. Not that what your saying isn't true, it's just that Cosby's main concern is the black cause. I don't think his wanting to focus more on that invalidates his arguement.

Neither do I. I actually agree with what he says. However, playing the blame game, though an inverted version in this case, is divisive and won't get anything done. Sure kids need to take education more seriously. A lot of people out there are disenfranchised, apathetic and are not prone to take responsibility for their actions. I think it has been said here more than once that these are problems encountered by the youth of all races in this country. Yet, Cosby in an earlier statement let it be known to whom he was referring, when he said that the "lower economic people were not holding up their end of the bargain". JT said that he knows of people with educations from Black Ivy league schools whose children acted the same way he thinks children of welfare mothers and single parent homes would act. Yet, this isn't viewed as a societal problem by people like Cosby and JT, but rather as a problem of the "lower economic" black person or the morally bankrupt, lacking a good moral core of value rich black person. In other words, we have a problem that is clearly one that society is experienicing as far as education and behaviouris concerened and making it out to be a Black problem.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    It's not a racial problem, it's a societal problem. Which is one of the things that makes Cosby's criticism so unfair.

Why is it unfair? He is speaking to his own people and telling them that they need to appreciate what their forefathers have done to win them civil rights that their forefathers didn't have. He is telling them to stop squandering that freedom and to let it operate for the positive in their lives.

I view races as subfamilies of the the human family. It's like someone telling members of their own family that should hold their heads high and get out of the gutter.

Flyin'

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Why is it unfair?

I gave you one reason in the comment you quoted.

I'll give you one more. If you had a problem with one of your family members, would it not make sense to go to that particular member of the family and try your best to iron things out? How much sense would it make to go to another family member's house and complain about whatever problem it is you were having? Not only complain, but also air y'alls dirty laundry so to speak? How would you feel if someone did that to you?

If Bill Cosby had a problem with the Black youth, then let him go to Black youth. If he can't do that for whatever reason, then he needs to keep his comments about others to himself.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    If Bill Cosby had a problem with the Black youth, then let him go to Black youth. If he can't do that for whatever reason, then he needs to keep his comments about others to himself.

I disagree I think that the parent of the youth should be spoken to first. If this is not working then to those leaders who may influence the parent. It's hard enough for most parents to get the right message across to their children let alone an adult they do not know.

I think every culture should have someone who is willing to put themselves on the line to assure the message is heard.

Cassi

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry
    However, playing the blame game, though an inverted version in this case, is divisive and won't get anything done.

Why is it that when someone takes an action towards a problem there are those so quick to attack that action as ?non-effective?? Seems like Bill has done quite a lot and is continuing to do so. He obviously has a passion for education, and his own people.

I work in an area (a city of four million) where the Ebonics dialects can be so thick as it can be difficult to understand a person. I recently had a grown woman when asking me if I made something ask me the question this way, "Did you made this?" (sounded like, "Diyu may dis?") I don't think this is a very good example of how to converse, to younger folks regardless of race. Of course since I'm white, if I was to say anything I would be labled a racist. And when Bill Cosby tries to say something about it, he's either an Uncle Tom or he gets accused of playing the "blame game". He's spot on in his criticism. Maybe he'll have an impact in this area? I hope so.

I think it has been said here more than once that these are problems encountered by the youth of all races in this country.

Sounds to me like you're the one who is playing the blame game. Or at least, evading the issue. It kind of reminds me of how a JW will respond in defense of his religiion when someone shows him an obvious problem or issue concerning his faith. He often will respond, " What about the Catholics? Look at what THEY'RE doing".

Just because I can't save the world, that dosen't mean I can't be effective in reforming the JW religion. That's where my passion is. And Bill has his passion. You go Bill.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I disagree I think that the parent of the youth should be spoken to first. If this is not working then to those leaders who may influence the parent. It's hard enough for most parents to get the right message across to their children let alone an adult they do not know.

I think every culture should have someone who is willing to put themselves on the line to assure the message is heard.

But isn't that kind of like 'the blind leading the blind'? I mean, how can a person that has grown up ignorant and unconcerned with education pass on the exact opposite ideals to their child? How can a person who speaks American English horribly teach a child proper American English? It's not impossible, but difficult and unlikely. It seems to me if you instead try to mold the younger ones before they are jaded and don't care, you'd find more success. I say, "go to the youth!" Start young in schools. Impress upon them the need to get an education. If the parents aren't doing it, those that are bitching should.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Sounds to me like you're the one who is playing the blame game. Or at least, evading the issue. It kind of reminds me of how a JW will respond in defense of his religiion when someone shows him an obvious problem or issue concerning his faith. He often will respond, " What about the Catholics? Look at what THEY'RE doing".

No, I certainly am not blaming anyone, nor am I trying to evade the issue. Like I said before, when it comes to the social problems in this country, the level of discussion needs to be raised. It was Cosby who said this was a Black problem. I don't see it that way. Many other people, while applauding his speaking out on the issue, don't see it that way and have said so on this thread. I take issue with the way he said what he said, where he said it and also I question his motive for saying what he said. Forgive me for thinking someone of his stature could do better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit