Go Get Em COSBY!!!

by Flash 211 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

There was a time when irish were treated worse that blacks. Irish were given the job inside the holds of ships that were being loaded by black men up top. If an irish man was squashed, he was considered as worth less than a black man. That's why the blacks had the safer job. As a racial group in north america, they make above average income now.

Italian miners in shanty towns, freezing, very little food, no help from no one. They got out of that situation. As a group, they are doing ok.

SS

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

HappyDad is a 57 year old white man in the Pittsburgh, Pa area and I stand behind Cosby's statement 100%................I am not a racist..........never have been.............grew up in a mixed neighborhood and still live in a mixed neighborhood.............if you WORK for what you have (like all of my neighbors of color (black, white, yellow and hues) and don't expect "entitlements" ........you can exceed in anything you want to do...............Just look at any Pakistani, Indian, Chineese, Korean, Japaneese, Hispanic, "true African", Russian or East European imigrant.............and feel ashamed to the bone if you are white or black trash welfare expecting the "man" to take care of you. There is too much of the ..."I don't have the opportunities" mentality going around........and you can blame the previous generations of whichever race or economic status is too lazy to get off their ass and do something....................and as much as I hate controversy........I stand behind what I say..........and if you don't like what I say............take a look in the mirror. It doesn't matter what color or race you are from...........stand up and DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR ANCESTRY FOR A CHANGE.........it doesn't have to be WAR................the key is EDUCATION...........oh.........damn........this makes me soooooooooo fuc*** mad that someone expects to be taken care of................DON"T MAKE MY TAXES GO UP AGAIN BECAUSE YOU THINK THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD TAKE CARE OF YOU WHILE I AND OTHERS WORK OUR ASSES OFF!.................you have just seen the NASTY side of HappyDad.........so get a life!

• bigboi
    bigboi
    There was a time when irish were treated worse that blacks. Irish were given the job inside the holds of ships that were being loaded by black men up top. If an irish man was squashed, he was considered as worth less than a black man. That's why the blacks had the safer job. As a racial group in north america, they make above average income now.

That's just crazy.

Italian miners in shanty towns, freezing, very little food, no help from no one. They got out of that situation. As a group, they are doing ok.

Jesus!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

That's just crazy.
    Jesus!

BB, it's part of this country's history, just as other ethnicities have their own histories.

Frannie B

• bigboi
    bigboi

Therein lies the main part of the problem. Given this dude's stature, education and near universal appeal, he could have delivered a message that truly expanded the dialogue about race and socioeconomic conditons in this country. Instead he choose to use the same old stereotype that people have been using to denigrate poor black, brown people in this county almost since it's inception. He criticizes the way we talk. Like everyone in this country uses the Queens english. He criticizes the music we listen to, which has only been around for the last 20 years, while nearly all of the things he mentions has plaqued the Black community for generations.

And the band plays on.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    BB, it's part of this country's history, just as other ethnicities have their own histories

So Frannie, you honestly think that having to work in the bowels of boat or in mining town, really compares to what you know about what Black people have been through in this country?

• Satanus
    Satanus

bigboi

The victim card gets tired after being played too many times.

S

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Irish Immigrants and Freed African Slaves by Pat Friend

The Irish Famine immigrants who began arriving in the United States were the original huddled masses, though they were hardly welcomed with in the spirit later expressed by the Statue of Liberty. Arriving destitute, sick or weak, and definitely Catholic, their arrival in the very Protestant United States was often meant with horror and disgust. It wasn't long before "Irish Need Not Apply" signs were the order of the day and the Irish were left to build their new lives within horrible ghettos in large Northern cities.

Many of the Irish immigrants' poor urban neighbors were freed African-American slaves. New York City's Five Points is just one example of the densely populated slums they shared. The Irish had traded poverty in rural Ireland for similar conditions in urban America. The primary difference in their situation, though, was that work was available, and over time the Irish improved their economic status and were assimilated into mainstream America.

Besides their poverty and neighborhoods, the Irish and the African-Americans shared other experiences and conditions:

• Both groups shared an experience of ocean passage on brutal human cargo ships. Both the slave ships and the "coffin ships" that transported the Irish immigrants provided miserable conditions that only made the weakened condition of the travelers worse and resulted in many deaths at sea. And, while the Irish weren't travelling as captured slaves, many were leaving Ireland not of their own choosing but because they had no good alternatives in their homeland.
    • Those outside both groups viewed both the Irish and African-Americans as ignorant, lazy, and even immoral. The Protestant Victorian mindset that prevailed both in England (and in the English ruling class in Ireland) and in the United States saw poverty as the fault of the impoverished, a direct cause of their immoral lifestyle. Anti-Irish and anti-Catholic sentiment grew so strong that a strong third party movement developed in the Know-Nothing Party.
    • Both groups struggled to maintain their heritage and traditions. In the case of the Irish, this included the practice of their Catholic religion. Their parishes became the core of the Irish communities and in time the Irish working class built churches, schools and hospitals with their hard-earned wages.
    • Both groups sought recognition by mainstream elements of American society and used military service in the Civil War to gain acceptance. Units such as the Union's Irish Brigade (69th New York) and African descent 55th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment and the Confederate Kelly's Irish Brigade fought valiantly and were recognized for their contributions to the war effort.

So how is it that two groups so similar in the middle of the 19th century fared so differently in their efforts to achieve the American dream?

For all they had in common, there were significant differences between the Irish immigrants and the African-Americans that affected how quickly they overcame their 19th century conditions.

First, while the Irish might have felt like slaves in their native Ireland they weren't slaves. They were able to bring with them the structure of their Irish heritage in the form of the Catholic Church while Africans suffered a century or more of disruption following their forced departure from Africa. Pulling together as a community, the Irish built parishes that educated their children, cared for their orphans and their sick, and served as a social and political center for their lives.

Secondly, the Irish were white. While the Africans were faced with Black codes and the legality of separate but equal facilities for the races in the 19th and early 20th century the Irish did not face these barriers.

Finally, as the Irish gained status and economic security they made no effort to ensure that their African neighbors shared their successes. The Irish who fought in the Union forces during the American Civil War did so to prove that they were worthy of being considered Americans, not to free the slaves. Most Irish were Democrats and it wasn't until the New Deal era that the Democrat Party spread its wings to include the issues of African-Americans under its umbrella.

Looking back on those 19th century Irish-American communities, there are several similarities that persist in the modern circumstances of some elements of the African-American community. Are there lessons that can be learned from the assimilation of the Irish-Americans into the mainstream of American society that might help to break the cycle of poverty that still grips some African-Americans and other ethnic minorities in 21st century America?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well, except for the ones in the Boston area, the Irish did learn to quit talking goofy, I have to give them that. Maybe that's why they've done so well? My towheaded overpaid maintainence man is an elder in his religion. Bigs, you might try bleaching your hair and switching from Colt 45 to Kilkenny or Murphy's Red if you're looking to seize the world by the bootstraps and "rise up". I like ya just fine as you are, of course ;-)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Of course, Cosby has his own brand of funny talk anyway. What is that? He adds like an mmmm to the front of every third word?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit