Love Is... The Meaning of Life!

by FMZ 115 Replies latest jw friends

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Tal -

There will be times in life when you receive amazing gifts from unexpected sources. You think to yourself "why would they be so kind to me? How did they know how much I needed that?" There is your payback. Your love has 'come back to you'. The energy you are putting out will come back to you, not from that neighbour but from someone else, perhaps when you least expect it.

Ok, I can buy that - to a certain degree. But if this is true, then we can not say that it will come back to us "ten-fold" or "many times over" because I can say without a doubt that if I had been keeping score my whole life, I would be owed a whole lot more than I've gotten so far. And if I were to die as soon as I hit the "send" button, there is no way for me to recoup that. So, either the premise that it comes back to you "multi-fold" is wrong, or there is no equality here on earth where we will be paid back for the love we put out to others.

Just my .02,

growedup the party-pooper

• FMZ
    FMZ

Growedup:

Hmmm... sometimes the rewards in this life are soo temporary... if only there was a way we could put them into a savings bank of sorts.... You know... like storing up your treasures...

FMZ

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup
    if only there was a way we could put them into a savings bank of sorts....

Or better yet - call them all in at once, if desired! I could go for that!!!

growedup

• talesin
    talesin

growedup

Well, I don't hold with the bible, so the 'ten-fold' is not an issue for me.

But, yes, I get your point. Here's some more thoughts on the subject.

I have observed that the people I know who are truly at peace and already at this point in their lives, receive a lot. If one grows up in a reasonably functional environment, and is stable and loves themselves at a young age, then the benefits start from day one.

Many of us (it not easy for me) have had to work very hard to learn to love ourselves and reach a place of peace within.

Here's an example. Just think about the microcosm of JWD. If you were in dire emotional need right now, there are many here, to whom you have given of yourself, who would be on the phone in a New York Minute if you needed them.

There are also those here who haven't read any your posts, who would do the same.

I have found that the principle works. BUT earlier in my life, when my pain was so great, I probably would not have been able to agree with this premise either.

It's like many things, if you truly believe others are not kind and giving, the negative energy surrounding that belief system will repel the kind, giving people. IMHO (stress on the word humble!) That's how it was with me. A self-fulfilling prophecy, so to speak.

In the last few years, since I changed my viewpoint (oh, I was very bitter and hurt all the time for good reason; it took a while to climb that particular mountain), I have received so much good stuff from the most unlikely sources. Truth is stranger than fiction, tis true. hehe

Edit: BTW, I am not suggesting you are bitter, that was me.

tal

• Carmel
    Carmel

Pontificate, pontificate, pontificate!

there ain't no mo

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Tal,

It's like many things, if you truly believe others are not kind and giving, the negative energy surrounding that belief system will repel the kind, giving people. IMHO (stress on the word humble!) That's how it was with me. A self-fulfilling prophecy, so to speak.

I agree with this 110%! I see it with my father, especially, so I know that this principle applies, whether it is written down somewhere or not.

Generally, I am a very optimistic person, and trust me when I say that I usually have to pick and choose between the good things that do come my way! I have been blessed in many ways! I guess I am just being overly "picky" about this. Thanks for helping me to see that!

:-)

growedup

• talesin
    talesin

{{{{{growedup}}}}}

I understand. It's hard to go there, isn't it, when life is filled with soooooo much crap!

BTW, if you are ever in need of a kind word, or a listening ear, you know where you can find me.

Or, if you are in a silly mood and want to share, cause I can always use a laugh.

tal

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Tal -

You got a deal! Ditto, here, okay?!!!

growedup

• talesin
    talesin

As Chevys would say,,,, MWAH!!!

And thank you, I always need new friends! Always room for one or half-a-dozen more, is my motto.

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Carmel

I usually enjoy your posts, but I feel that was an unfair characterization, according to Merriam-Webster.

Main Entry: 2 pon·tif·i·cate
    Pronunciation: pän-'ti-f&-"kAt
    Function: intransitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): -cat·ed; -cat·ing
    Etymology: Medieval Latin pontificatus, past participle of pontificare, from Latin pontific-, pontifex
    1 a : to officiate as a pontiff b : to celebrate pontifical mass
    2 : to speak or express opinions in a pompous or dogmatic way

Explaining one's point of view in a detailed manner equates to neither pomposity nor dogmatism, imho. The conversation thus far has been sincere and gentle, at least to my mind. Or is that not what you were saying?

Do I sound pompous? Dogmatic? I apologize. I will work on that.

talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit