Torture to find WMD?

by Greenpalmtreestillmine 91 Replies latest social current

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Hey I found out today that Alan Dershowitz of all people says torture is OK under certain circumstances, that it's Consitutional. Who'd of thought that?

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Actually, I've been hearing the under the rules of the Geneva Conferences, you are allowed to 1) question the POW while naked; 2) Use sleep deprivation and stress to get POWs to talk; 2) use forms of humiliation to get information from POWs.

There's more, but I only remember the highlights. Very interesting.

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Blacksheep,

Given that all of them expressed that our nation was "under God," your point is utterly lost.

Are you saying that Jefferson thought the President of the United States was to make his decisions through the guidance of the Christ? If so, please provide the Jefferson quote, if not then your point is pointless.

Sabrina

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Are you saying that Jefferson thought the President of the United States was to make his decisions through the guidance of the Christ? If so, please provide the Jefferson quote, if not then your point is pointless.

Please provide the quote in which Bush indicated his decisions were through the guidance of Christ.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Jefferson, Madison, Franklin and Washington are turning over in their graves!

How ironic. Given that all of them expressed that our nation was "under God," your point is utterly lost.

Really? I know Washington used the phrase "under god" liberally, but not the way you think of it today, connected to or referencing our "nation". Do you have citations?

And even so, there is nothing to indicate that Washington's belief in a higher power is somehow slowing down his spin rate for these too long years GW Bush is animating great dead leaders.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Really? I know Washington used the phrase "under god" liberally, but not the way you think of it today, connected to or referencing our "nation". Do you have citations?

Really, yourself. Do you think that these great leaders did NOT believe in God. Did not think that at some level they were divinely directed. YOU sight some souces on their supposed atheism and shunning of the "one nation, under god" doctrine.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

blacksheep blacksheep, have you any.... oh, nevermind.

Read very carefully, and see if you can find anything I said that would support your asking me what you just asked me.

I wasn't going to say anything till you confirmed it (by mentioning "the 'one nation, under god' doctrine"), but obviously, your comment to greenpalmtrees:

Given that all of them expressed that our nation was "under God," your point is utterly lost.
    ... is referencing the pledge of allegiance. Well, actually to a 1954 insertion/addition to the pledge of allegiance.
  • blacksheep
    blacksheep

Read very carefully, and see if you can find anything I said that would support your asking me what you just asked me.

I wasn't going to say anything till you confirmed it (by mentioning "the 'one nation, under god' doctrine"), but obviously, your comment to greenpalmtrees:

Actually, gettin' tired. What I believe I asked GPTSM was to prove that the great patriots she referenced DIDN'T believe in God. GPSTM suggested that our great founding pats would turn over in their graves at any suggestion that a president was "guided by God."

The ball's in her (his?--don't recall the gender, so sorry) court. And, interestingly enough, check out our beloved JFK's religioius beliefs and overt statements that he's chartered to do god's will and provide a "shining example of freedom" blah, blah, blah.

I'ts NOTHING new. As he/she's trying to make it appear.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Green,

Actually, I just figured if I had to explain what moral clarity is to you it wouldn't make much of a difference. Moral clarity means that something is right or wrong regardless of what the polls say. Making decisions based on your ethical sense instead of what you think will be popular For instance, The Prescription Drug Benefit, inspite of many conservatives, myself included, disagreeing with having a PDB, Bush pushed for it anyhow.

Clear?

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Hi Yeru, good to see you.

Moral clarity means that something is right or wrong regardless of what the polls say.

Well, I am very glad to hear President Bush does not listen to polls.

Making decisions based on your ethical sense instead of what you think will be popular

I agree, that is very important, especially for politicians.

For instance, The Prescription Drug Benefit, inspite of many conservatives, myself included, disagreeing with having a PDB, Bush pushed for it anyhow.

I'm glad to hear he is his own man.

Clear?

Absolutely, President Bush does not listen to polls or to his own constituency when his conscience tells him he should not. But that was never in question. The real question is: How much is Bush guided by his belief that God wanted him to be President and therefore is guiding him?

In other words, where does his "moral clarity" stem from? Over and over again, it appears it stems from his religious beliefs.

Sabrina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit