Jehovah's Witnesses Have a High Mental Illness Level

by Bryan 51 Replies latest social family

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Pork Chop:

Yes, research studies and books written by individuals are open to discussion and criticism and I have heard the thoughts expressed about J. Bergman similar to yours.

Personally, I enjoy research from a wide variety of sources and don't take anyone's word as from God. Fortunately, so much is information is available on this subject and I would leave it up to the individual to ascertain what he benefits from reading.

The facts are borne out, as discussed on these threads re: mental illness, by the personal experiences of others.

Best Regards,

4JWY

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Anecdotes are virtually meaningless in this context. There is no rigor in the information imparted by these 'discussions' and 'personal experiences'. They are just as meaningful as the 'experiences' cited at the weekly Service Meeting.

• Flash
    Flash
    "Watchtower...subculture adversely affect the mental health of those involved."

This to me is the main problem. Witnesses are constantly suppressing their true self, continually conforming to another human's standards. IMO, Unless you surrender all individual thought and will the stress will take its toll. If you stay it's a matter of 'choosing your poison.'

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I must admit that I haven't read Bergman's book, but from my 30+ years experience in several congregations......I'd have to say that a lot of JWs are quite noticably "odd", to put it nicely.

I've heard it said---and I agree---that a good deal of those who are "reached" in the D-2-D work, ARE quite often mentally "down" or "not playing with a full deck" as they say. A lot of the time these ones will accept a home "bible" study, for the company and the attention.

The ones who are already "down", are looking for someone who will "fix their problems", and accept the "friendship" of their "study" conductors. Actually *I* was one of the ones who were "down" and spiritually drifting due to a disagreement with the Parish priest who insisted that we give him $50 to give our kids their First Communion. So I was ripe and ready and depressed when the "sisters" called on me...

I also agree that the hectic pace that JWs are expected to keep up with, year in and year out, without any letup.....does take its toll on them...gulping meals, hurry this---hurry that...it's insane........which brings me back to where this post began....LOL.

Being a JW CAN cause insanity!

hugs,

Annie

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Pork Chop - yes, everybody ascertains for themselves what they benefit from and if this thread doesn't grab ya, maybe another one will.

Chow,

4JWY

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    With regards to Jehovah's Witnesses who have mental illness:

The whole damn RELIGION is a mental illness fer crying out loud.

Farkel

Now that is THE TRUTH...

• Farkel
    Farkel

Pork Chop,

: Anecdotes are virtually meaningless in this context.

So you don't believe that empirical evidence is worth considering? What if the majority of anecdotal evidence supported the fact that dubs suffer from an unusually high degree of mental illness? Would you reject it outright? If so, what criteria would YOU use to measure mental illness in dubs?

Farkel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    With regards to Jehovah's Witnesses who have mental illness:

The whole damn RELIGION is a mental illness fer crying out loud.

Yep. Sure is.

What if the majority of anecdotal evidence supported the fact that dubs suffer from an unusually high degree of mental illness?

I have it on good authority (is this anecdotal evidence?) that the dubs have the highest incidence of mental illness in New South Wales. But then, I haven't written a book on it and no-one'll believe me.

But official government statistics show it.

Cheers, Ozzie

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I can definately see where there is a high concentration of mental illness in the Borganization. I cannot tell you of the many Sisters in the congregation who carried Valiums and Xanax's with them to the Kingdom Halls, and in field service. A fellow pioneer Sister, a reg pioneer as I was, Had a nervous breakdown, and was hospitalized because of the pressures of Making her hours. I can also see that by all of the images of destruction-the artwork in the literature showing how Armageddon will come about could cause many to have so much fear that it causes much anxiety. I know that I was, and at times still am, really anxious about what I was taught growing up in the Org. and still have dreams of Armageddon which aren't too pretty, and still can't believe that I have such dreams, after being away from the Org. for many years now. I try taking things with a grain of salt, knowing it was my upbringing, but still I find it playing havoc with my mind at times. Fortunately, I am able to rationalize, and overcome these feelings-will it ever end!!!???

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

When one becomes co-dependent upon someone or something that is defective, then in time, they too become infected.

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit