Jehovah's Witnesses Have a High Mental Illness Level

by Bryan 51 Replies latest social family

• Corvin
    Corvin

There are those who are mentally ill due to chemical/biological malfunctions, and this, an individual cannot help. Then there are those who are driven to illness by submitting to the will of man-made edicts and rules, believing for a prolonged period of time the false promises of mere men.

In either case, the solution is to exercise that God-given massive decision making muscle called "the brain", get the hell away from the other maniacs, get counselling and get on some good meds . . . then get on that long and winding road to recovery. It is not easy, but your only other alternative is the organization.

Be free,

Corvin

• Sirona
    Sirona

Corvin,

There are those who are mentally ill due to chemical/biological malfunctions, and this, an individual cannot help. Then there are those who are driven to illness by submitting to the will of man-made edicts and rules, believing for a prolonged period of time the false promises of mere men.

There have been lots of studies of certain mental illnesses such as schizophrenia which are inconclusive as to the "cause". Schizophrenia has been shown to be related to a gene, but sometimes those with that gene do not develop the illness. For instance, studies have been done with monozygotic twins where one twin developed it and the other didn't. (Although schizophrenia is a chemical imbalance, they don't even know 100% whether the illness is caused by imbalance, or chemical imbalance is a by product of the illness)

Therefore it is the opinion of many scientists that schizophrenia can be brought on by an environmental influence. This would fit with the JWs - because I think that if you have a susceptibility to being mentally ill then the environment of JWs would be likely to push you over the edge into full blown mental illness.

So in answer to your first sentence (above) the JWs could claim that certain conditions are a chemical malfunction and nothing to do with the fact that the person is a witness. I'd argue that being a witness is a factor in the imbalance.

Sirona

• Erich
    Erich

Sirona

I think the "cause" of schizophrenia goes much more deeper. You correctly mentioned those studies with monozygotic twins, and the surprising results. My opinion is: If scientists once could find out the "mechanism" of schizophrenia, then they simultaneously have found the mechanism of "consciousness" in the brain too.

E.

• pc
    pc

It is so sad for some of the young people. My sister-in-laws sister has a son who has been battling problems for years. His dad is of course an elder and just makes it worse for him. The boy is about 22 and never finished high school. He lives at home, so they make him go to meetings. They say he is bi-polar but do nothing medically to help him. I've been thinking about him since some of the post on suicide. He is just out there waiting for it to happen. SO SO SAD!

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Yes, ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS here are a huge source of the problems expereinced by, IMHO, a large majority of JW's. That is why I feel the lifestyle/belief system is so dangerous. There is mental illness in my family, bipolar etc. but we know for a fact that the struggles for some have been from the whole mindset, obsessive activity level expected, etc................a very deep subject. My own son, was unwell for much of his life and manifested physical symptoms such as irritable bowel syndrome, chronic urticaria (hives), depression, learning struggles -- ALL of these problems have departed to a major degree since we allowed him to listen to himself, since 15 yrs old, and stop the JW racing schedule. For two years now, he has been happy, going to school, working part time and getting free of the damaging effects of the org. He was our impetus to make our break.

Listen to your inner self and when you find the real truth, follow it, and you will be set free.

Warm regards,

4JWY

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Stress is a very big factor in all disease whether it be mental or physical illness. We are all born with some genetic weakness or another and if aware of family history of illness we can take some degree of prevention in order to prevent or at least minimize the effects of these weaknesses. But the statistics are in that stress is a major trigger in bringing on illness. Even mentally and physically strong people can break under situations of severe distress. The Org puts people under major stress --thus causing triggers to many illness mental and physical, such as 4JWY in the above post mentioned. (I can attest to this as I went through such severe stress at the end of my WT daze I became physically ill and was nearly driven to suicide and this is not a normal pattern for me)

I say "Get out of her (the WT Org) my people if you do not want to share in her delusional thinking and insanities" Revelation 18:4 (cybs translation)

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Hi pc :

My heart goes out to your relative's son - it's can be very difficult to approach this topic from the angle of intimating that the JW lifestyle may be responsible for at least some of the problems presenting. I've been there - until a person can come to the realization that, gee maybe it is the cause of my problems, they will just continue to suffer.

When we struggled with the matter of forcing kids to go to the meetings, (and many of you know what THAT is like, a topic in itself), we were inclined to allow our son to stay home, usually he WAS sick - sometimes the SICKNESS starts the day before, and it is REAL - the whole, mind/body connection - I was under the conclusion that -I DON'T NEED A DEAD KID. He knew himself so well and here we were forcing him to shove HIMSELF aside so as to make an appearance at a place that was killing him. Of course, those in the lead will view your whole family as "spiritually weak" and "mark" you and your kid, no associates etc. - which really helps the matter, doesn't it?

The elders will try to practice "psychology" without a license of course, and offer you the usual line of ---- about what you SHOULD be doing, ie: More!.

The whole org-cult is playing with people's minds/bodies. I only hope for more people to find their genuine selves and live the life they deserve.

4JWY

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Hi cyber-sista -

I second that GOOD HEALTH TO YOU!

4JWY

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Since I DAed from the organization I am now off ALL the anti-depression meds I was on.

Leaving was the "miracle" cure that I needed.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Therefore it is the opinion of many scientists that schizophrenia can be brought on by an environmental influence. This would fit with the JWs - because I think that if you have a susceptibility to being mentally ill then the environment of JWs would be likely to push you over the edge into full blown mental illness.

I agree with that. If you have a pre-disposition to a mental problem, it could well be triggered by dubbism.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit