Jehovah's Witnesses Have a High Mental Illness Level

by Bryan 51 Replies latest social family

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Hi Sentinel -

Agree - and to add my 2 cents, THE ORG TOUTS AS

THE REMEDY,

THE ACTUAL CAUSE

(as in the whole, "Do more" routine etc.)

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Farkel, certainly I accept empirical data if it's based on some significant quantity of objective observation. However, the referenced anecdotes on this and similar sites do not, in my opinion, meet that standard. There is as much lack of objectivity here as there is in the repeated reference one hears at the meetings to Witnesses being "the happiest people on the Earth." Now, if you had a randomly selected sample of 1,000 Witnesses from the general Witness population and they were observed over whatever period was necessary, say six months, by three psychiatrists who could demonstrate that they were indeed objective and operating independently, and even two of them reached the conclusion that there was more mental illness in Witnesses than in the rest of the general population, then I'd accept that conclusion without hesitation.

Actually, that's a rather good idea. I wonder if we could get someone to fund it? You'd have to do some serious work on the selection criteria but I think you could get there in the end.

• richard
    richard
    I wonder if we could get someone to fund it?

I think getting 1000 JW to voluntarily cooperate with this research project is a much bigger problem.

• sf
    sf

What I don't get; and say so often in jw chatroom is:

If Jehovah is indeed your rock, strength and might, what are you so depressed about?

If you are indeed the happiest people in the world, why are you so depressed?

If Jehovah is your strength, your rock and your might, why have you de-activated yourself from meetings, etc.?

Wouldn't those depressed times draw you more nearer to Jehovah and his people more than ever?

It usually clears the room in a matter of minutes.

sKally

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Richard if you can get the funding, I'll get the 1,000 subjects, no problem.

• sf
    sf

I can gather up about thirty of them from just online.

Just trying to help.

sKally

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Yes sKally on one of my dad's last days, while driving him around town, he looked at people that were walking down the sidewalk and remarked:

"THOSE people LOOK SO HAPPY!"...............yes, dad -many "WORLDLY"" people ARE happy and have a positive outlook for their life, not dwelling on the negative and wickedness of the world all the time and the fact that it's going down. We watched a bunch of old men playing softball at the park and it was wonderful to see their zest for the game and camaraderie among themselves. JW's preach a "happiest people on earth" - and it is such a facade.

• sf
    sf

alt

• richard
    richard
    Richard if you can get the funding, I'll get the 1,000 subjects, no problem

Pork chop, if you have 100 subjects (active JWs), that's more than satisfactory for comparative research. As for funding, I assume there are some US foundations on (mental) health care who might consider to provide a grant to a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist who is willing to do a PhD on this topic. So the first step is to find someone who is interested to do the job.

• Jerry Bergman
    Jerry Bergman

His degree has nothing to do with psychology, psychiatry, sociology or medicine so he's talking out of his hat.

Mr. Pork

Could you tell me what my degrees are in??? You seem to know so much about me.

He also hasn't done very well in the "expert witness" business.

Explain what you mean. Have you read my article on why I will not testify in court? In short, I am tired of the threats to my person (and this has been well documented) and the ?morals? of Lawyers (or lack there of). I want no part of it. This nation according, to one study, has put one out of seven on death row that are innocent according to DNA testing. Imagine a doctor who accidentally killed one out of seven of all of his patients! He would be in jail, and for good reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit