Jehovah's Witnesses Have a High Mental Illness Level

by Bryan 51 Replies latest social family

• Bryan
    Bryan

Now we know what the problem is...

Scroll down...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES
    "Faith of Our Fathers: Part One, Were the Early Christians Jehovah's Witnesses?" by Robert U. Finnerty -- first of two parts responding to the very peculiar JW version of church history. Christian Research Journal, Wtr '96, p28.
    (from Apologia Report 1:2, January 15, 1996)
    "1914: Another Dark Day in Brooklyn" -- cover story, with two related articles elsewhere in this issue, has a focus on how the Watchtower has changed its position on apocalyptic date calculation once again. Watchman Expositor, 13:1 '96, p3.
    (from Apologia Report 1:5, February 5, 1996)
    "The Jehovah's Witnesses' Experience in the Nazi Concentration Camps: A History of Their Conflicts with the Nazi State" by Jerry Bergman -- from the author of the article in the Sum '96 issue Christian Research Journal on Jehovah's Witnesses and mental health. Journal of Church and State, Wtr '96, p87.
    (from Apologia Report 1:13, April 8, 1996)
    "Faith of Our Fathers (Part Two): Were the Early Christians Jehovah's Witnesses?" by Robert U. Finnerty -- "demonstrates how [JWs] further misrepresent the [early church] fathers' views on the Holy Spirit, the soul, and hell." Christian Research Journal, Spr '96, p36.
    (from Apologia Report 1:13, April 8, 1996)
    "Paradise Postponed...and Postponed: Why Jehovah's Witnesses Have a High Mental Illness Level" by Jerry Bergman -- "Scientific literature documents that the rate of mental illness among Jehovah's Witnesses is considerably above the population norm. Bergman, who has participated in this research himself, explains how the Watchtower teachings and subculture adversely affect the mental health of those involved." Christian Research Journal, Sum '96, p36.
    (from Apologia Report 1:20, July 15, 1996)
    "Romanian Church Calls for Ban on Congress for Jehovah's Witnesses" -- the leader of the country's Orthodox church objects to JW plans; mentions that a protest rally also took place; notes that the Witnesses constitute the third-largest religious system in Poland. ENI Bulletin, Jul '96, p15.
    (from Apologia Report 1:23, August 12, 1996)
    "Jehovah's Japanese Witnesses: Growth, Conflicts and Prospects of a Transplanted American Religion" by Jack E. Nelson -- Reports that Japan "now has the fifth largest population of Jehovah's Witnesses (after the United States, Mexico, Brazil and Italy)." Includes the statistic that, as of 1994, there were close to 200,000 pioneer-class members in Japan. You can double that figure if you want to include all the people who would be considered nominal JWs. Repeated is the estimate I've seen at least once before that there are "an estimated 3,000 new religious movements in Japan." Of the 25-to-30 groups that claim a larger membership than the Witnesses, "it is unlikely that any of these achieves a higher proportion of proselytizing activities than the Watch Tower Society does." Between 60 and 90 hours of service per month is an average effort for JW pioneers. It should be no surprise, then, that "the most severe ongoing conflict faced by Jehovah's Witnesses in Japan occurs on the domestic level." Roughly 70 percent of their membership is female. The Watchtower's teaching has a "lack of any emphasis on the extended family unit," something highly valued by Japanese culture. Consequently, non-JW husbands often resent their wives' involvement with the group. In addition, "Women seem to find in the Watch Tower Society's ideology a legitimization of their self-assertion in the face of male domination."
    Other problems mentioned that face the Witnesses in Japan include being seen as a cult due to their rejection of blood transfusion. They also face the opposition of indigenous anti-JW groups and ex-members. A number of sources new to me were mentioned in the lengthy bibliography and endnotes section.
    Progress for the Witnesses in Japan has actually slowed. "During the 1970s growth rates climbed above 35 percent annually and were higher in Japan than anywhere else in the world." Now their growth has dropped to the current annual seven to eight percent. However, "this compares with a recent growth rate of barely one percent in a combined tabulation of Protestant and Catholic membership" in Japan. No wonder Jehovah's Witnesses "exceed in membership the largest Protestant group in Japan and, [are] second only to the Roman Catholic Church" there, not counting Asian religions. Japan Christian Review, v62 - 1996, p30.
    (from Apologia Report 2:3, February 24, 1997)
    "Ex-JWs Summoned by Norwegian Police" -- "In a bold move aimed at suppressing dissident Jehovah's Witnesses, the Watchtower Society's New York headquarters has filed charges with the police against ex-members Kent Steinhaug and Jan Haugland of Norway. Steinhaug reported for questioning this morning to the police station in Skein, his home town. Both men are accused of violating copyright laws by posting copies of a secret Witness elder's manual on the Internet." Comments from the Friends (Press Release), Mar 4 '96.
    (from Apologia Report 2:6, March 17, 1997)
    "Jehovah's Witnesses' Future Bright at Home and Abroad" by Richard Cimino -- surveys an essay in the Journal of Contemporary Religion (May '97) by Rodney Stark and Lawrence Iannaccone. Reports that the JWs are "becoming a global religious force that has not received much attention from scholars" being "more 'globalized' than even the Mormons; while nearly half of all Mormons reside in the U.S., only 19 percent of Jehovah's Witnesses do." Religion Watch, Jun '97, p2.
    (from Apologia Report 2:20, July 1, 1997)
    "The Tragic Consequences of Faith" by Dave Mackmiller -- a review (pro, not con) of Blood on the Altar: Confessions of a Jehovah's Witness Minister, by David Reed (Prometheus, 1996). Free Inquiry, Sum '97, p61.
    (from Apologia Report 2:22, July 21, 1997)
    --------
    Sources:
    Bibliotheca Sacra (Dallas Theo. Sem.), (800) 992-0998, <[email protected]>, <http://www.bible.org/dts/dts.htm>
    Christian Research Journal (Christian Research Institute), (888) 700-0274, <http://www.equip.org>
    Church and State, (202) 466-3234, <[email protected]>, <http://www.netplexgroup.com/americansunited/>
    Comments from the Friends (ex-Jehovah's Witness), (508) 763-8050, <[email protected]>, <http://www.webshowplace.com/Comments>
    ENI Bulletin (Ecumenical News Int'l), fax (41-22) 798-1346 (Switzerland), -coe.org>
    Free Inquiry, (716) 636-7571, <http://www.secularhumanism.org>
    Japan Christian Review (Christian Literature Society of Japan), (0422) 33-3539, Kyo Bun Kwan, 4-5-1 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104.
    Religion Watch, (516) 785-6765, <[email protected]>
    Watchman Expositor (Watchman Fellowship), (800) 769-2824, http://rampages.onramp.net/~watchman/index.html

http://www.gospelcom.net/apologia/mainpages/Samples/Topics/JW.html

• minimus
    minimus

You have to be mentally ill to remain a Witness after you see this site.

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

JW's believe that loyalty to Jehovah is directly connected to their support of a flawed organization. Those flaws consist of deceit, promoting a self-serving ritualistic routine that suggests spiritual awareness and advancement. The rank & file burden themselves with the need to accept excuses for a loveless environment.

I knew a sister who was always upgrading her anti-deppressant medication because it was never strong enough. She would pop pills like candy. She had to be in a constant state of euphoria. If having the 'truth' should make for happy witnesses, why are so many suffering? In her personal circumstances, she was living a lie but accepted the responsibility of promoting a false appearance of spiritual maturity. (She admitted these things to me).

So goes her reward. So goes her spirituality.

• Purza
    Purza

I remember telling this to a "brother" who was bi-polar that I heard JWs have a level of mental illness. He said there was no proof. Um, sorry, he was living proof, as am I and various others I know. I have heard this statement on more than one occassion. I believe it!

• 4JWY
    4JWY

A must read is Jerry Bergman's book:

"Jehovah's Witnesses and the Problem of Mental Illness."

It is highly enlightening and discussed all the mental illness conditions that are found in every cong worldwide, from depression, anxiety, panic attacks, social anxiety, eating disorders, obsessive compulsiveness, schizophrenia, paranoia...... AND HOW THE CULT PREDISPOSES MEMBERS TO DIFFICULTIES.

Attending a 12 -week (1x a week) nationwide program offered by the NAMI organization (Nat'l Alliance of Mental Illness) called the Family to Family Program was beneficial to my family in learning how to deal with family members who are struggling with mental illness. They also offer a course for those who themselves struggle with mental illness. All of their materials are wonderful in educating people on this subject.

Interesting to note: In the local class of NAMI that we attended, there were enrolled 6 JW's out of 20 students from around the community. The class is offered throughout the year, and each session has multiple numbers of JW's in attendance. One of the two instructors is a local sister whose own family (JW's) are severely afflicted and diagnosed/medicated.

I'm really condensing this info - My husband and I attended the class BEFORE making the connection between MI and JW's in any conclusive way.

When it finally CLICKED in our minds, there was no stopping the research we did on these matters and we found Jerry Bergman's book among many other resources. We were dealing with my afflicted JW father, who unfortunately did end up taking his life. We had shared the information/education we had learned from the NAMI class with an elder who showed a particular interest. He said that it was difficult for him many times in judicial cases, to go through with DF'ing when the person obviously was afflicted in some way - but the ax would come down anyway. We had several discussions with him and were told that the course materials were also shared with a CO. The possibility of having some kind of specific training offered to elders on this subject of mental illness was mentioned by him - altho he doubted it would come to fruition. He felt changes would have to be made in the way the materials discussed the subject ??????? Anyway, the education this class provided ,opened our eyes to the fact that we needed to run from the organization.

If you are suffering, I encourage you to seek out professional help and learn all you can about MI. I will be happy to help in any way possible.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

P.S.

I neglected to tell you : Not all the JW's have MADE THE CONNECTION THO BETWEEN THE CULT AND THE AFFLICTIONS.

Jerry Bergman's book was not part of the course materials so all the JW''s attending are basically on their own to figure it out. We are absolutely stymied to understand how this sister can be so involved as instructor of this class and not catch on herself ??? We do want to deliver a copy of the book to her at the next session in June.

BE WELL ALL

• astro_girl
    astro_girl

My JW mother-in-law (50 years) just commented the other day how so many of the "sisters" mind's were going. She has completely lost the ability to make even the smallest decision without a huge production and I am assuming this is because of the mind-control she's been under for most of her life. Her closest "sister" is a hypochondriac who always has some sort of ailment or injury. Both are grossly overweight and never exercise their bodies (just their mouths)

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I knew so many JWs anti-depressantand anti-anxiety drugs. I sat down one night and did a head count. Can't remember the percentage now, but it was over the top of the national average I am sure of that . It was a main topic of conversation at the hall esp among the sister--what type of medication they had just recently switched to, were presently taking, had problems with, etc. Something is terribly wrong with that picture...

• codeblue
    codeblue

I have heard that before too...I know of several congregations where at least 1/2 or more of the congregation were on meds...

If it were such a "spiritual paradise" there would be no reason for the meds!

Codeblue

• Erich
    Erich

codeblue

Absolutely right.

Besides, there is no verse in the bible telling of any type of earthly "spiritual paradise" BEFORE Jesus Christ`s kingdom is reigning.

E.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit