Jehovah's Witnesses Have a High Mental Illness Level

by Bryan 51 Replies latest social family

• 4JWY
    4JWY

GREAT NEWS, ELSEWHERE!

(now, where do you where those ties these days?)

• Atilla
    Atilla

Gee, I'm not sure if I will ever be normal.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Hi Atilla,

" What is normal?" My dad used to ponder that question. We are all unique, colorful individuals and when you can feel free to express that individuality - you will be joyful!

Best to you,

4JWY

• franklin J
    franklin J

Jehovahs Witnesses? Mental Illness?

Are we surprised?

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I ran into this phenomenon early on in my dealings with JWs (the full story can be foundhere: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/44589/1.ashx).

I always felt like it made a great deal of sense. It seems to me that you might have a predisposition to imbalance--or an existing condition--to buy into the organization to begin with, and if you weren't crazy going in you'd have a good chance of becoming so during your affiliation.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: A must read is Jerry Bergman's book:

I wouldn't exactly call it a "must read." Some of the data is old, dating to dubs "studied" in prisons in the WWII era. Hardly a representative sampling. The book has often been criticized for its not-so-scholarly research and hasty conclusion based upon same. Bergman has been on this board in the past discussing his various works, by the way.

With regards to Jehovah's Witnesses who have mental illness:

The whole damn RELIGION is a mental illness fer crying out loud.

Farkel

• NaruNaruChan
    NaruNaruChan

**LMAO**

When i first came into a KH, I thought "Jesus, half of these people are mentally retarded, the other look stoned!" That should've been my cue to leave.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Hi Farkel:

I do agree with your comments about Jerry Bergman's book. I did find it very repetitive in thoughts (maybe OCD?) and comes from his JW background in the Theocratic School with that old "repetition for emphasis" idea!

I appreciated it because it was the first work that came to my view on this subject and I couldn't believe a whole book had been written on the topic confirming things that I'd already suspected. I am relatively new here myself so have not had the opportunity yet to see previous threads etc. related to Jerry Bergman - when I did a search on-line with his name I did find alot of other materials he has written too that were informative. If throwing the title out there can assist any one to consider this issue, I'm happy to have put my 2 cents in.

Would anybody like to go to a JW shrink? It is interesting.

Yours in good health,

4JWY

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

To reinforce Farkel's comment, Bergman is not very credible. His degree has nothing to do with psychology, psychiatry, sociology or medicine so he's talking out of his hat. He also hasn't done very well in the "expert witness" business.

• shamus
    shamus
    When i first came into a KH, I thought "Jesus, half of these people are mentally retarded, the other look stoned!" That should've been my cue to leave.

LMAO! I laughed so dammed hard after my first meeting... some of the people there were bizarre to say the least, LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit