McVeigh vs Death Penalty

by Amazing 272 Replies latest jw friends

• JanH
    JanH

Lisa,

Why not go all the way to gas chambers, crematorias and kz camps? You just lack a good supply of Zyklon B and you're in business!

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• Faraon
    Faraon

SlayerLayer,

Call me an insensitive prick, but I think he got off easy. He and all violent murderers should die slowly at the hands of the surviving family members.
    Maybe slowly pulling off his fingernails, then slicing him open to pull out his intestines while he is forced to watch.

And they should start by doing the same to the ATF and FBI criminals who murdered the children and adults in Waco.
    Who cries for them?
    As long as there is sanctioned government mass murder, there will be McVeighs

JRP
    If I wanted your opinion, I would beat it out of you (seen in a bumper sticker)

• Francois
    Francois

Well, he's dead. And I must admit I don't feel any sense of justice being done. Or that somehow the scales of justice are now balanced.

And this against the backdrop of the fact that I'm a conservative Republican. Mainly because I'm a Libertarian who realizes that a third party doesn't stand a snowball's chance in this country. And as soon as campaign financing "reform" takes place, if you're not an incumbent you won't stand a snowball's chance. But I digress.

I've been in favor of the death penalty all my life. And now...I just dunno. I heard those statistics about how each murderer that's executed saves 18 lives. Does anyone know where those stats came from? Strange how they were available at just the right time. And I've never really been open to statistics since I read that book, "How To Lie With Statistics." Besides, wouldn't that 18 saved lives figure still apply to murderers kept behind bars? (I guess the stats include the murder of other convicts, huh?)

Anyway. I think that a lifetime behind bars is much worse than being put to death. McVeigh obviously thought so. That's why he chose to die. Why should we make it easy on a murderer?

Franc

• Prisca
    Prisca
    Anyway. I think that a lifetime behind bars is much worse than being put to death. McVeigh obviously thought so.

I agree. The worst punishment for McVeigh would have been a life sentence. To have let him live for the term of his natural life. Bring him face to face with some of his victims, or family of victims.

And deprive him of any choc-mint ice-cream.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

VeniceIT;

Why not try covering your eyes and going lalalalalalalalalalalalalala?

Honestly, I am surprised at you. If you support the death penalty, support the death penalty. Sorry if I sound pissed off, but I like you, despite the fact you're a professed Christian, as you are genuine and caring, unlike many so called Christians. Finding you then not turning the other cheek but applauding sticking the needle and killing in therefore comes as a shock.

Don't ask people to stop talking about it because you happen to be bored of the subject. Engage in the debate or use the back button.

Everyone who supports the death penalty supports the degrading of the value of human life.

By accepting that it is okay to kill in cold blood under certain circumstances you are just using the same logic that McVeigh used when he parked that van. He thought he was right, and it didn't make killing okay so WHY does it make it okay to kill him if you think it's okay??

It is your right to think that, but if you'd grown up in a country where there was not a death penalty you would be overwhelmingly likely to be against the death penalty.

That means you probably support the death penalty just because you are an American!!

Just like you probably were against blood transfusions just because you were a Jehovah's Witness.

It's a product of your background VeniceIT.

Oooo! Come on, why is it okay to kill? Why is it okay to give McVeigh WHAT HE WANTED, rather than shutting him in a cell until he was incontinent, impotent, withered and grey? Why do two wrongs make a right?

A man died yesterday. The fact that 168 died before him does nothing to make his death right.

Of course, that's my opinion, and you're entitled to yours, but callous disregard of human life is what McVeigh was killed for, and you seem to be showing the same disregard.

Sorry to bust you buns over this V, but if I didn't like you I wouldn't care, would I?

SlayerLayer;

You're an insensitive prick. You're musical taste has also turned you into a cliche. Buy some Abba records and quit with the sinister crap, it only works on 14 years-old-girls.

;-)

• ianao
    ianao

Being an American:

Let them suffer until we run out of room. Then, kill them off as new offenders are brought to justice instead of letting them back out on the streets.

You want to talk about the value of human life, think about how much McVeigh valued the lives that he destroyed. Who shed first blood?

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I'm not saying I support the death penatly in every case, but in HIS I do!!! he mercilesly killed 168 people. He was applauded as a hero by some. One of the main resons he did it was publicity, wich he SURE got. If he stayed alive he would have been able to see the making of the movie or the book, which I do't think he had a right to see. I think he deserved to die, if ANYONE did something like that to my family I would expect no less from the justice system.

This was premeditated SLAUGHTER, and they killed him for that! It also sends a message out to others that yes you may die too if you do something like this, EVERYONE is afraid to die.

I don't see why people are soo horrified that someone like Tim was killed, they call it murder! Then what do you call war, is that killing or murder??? Is this a war on crime, a war on deystroying peoples lives.

I guess personally I'm just more sympetheic to the thousands of people who's lives were deystroyd in a single moment, either because they died or a family member or friend died. I'm more sympatheic to them then I am to the Villian who destroyed those thousands of lives!!!

I belive in sympathy, I am an Empath actually, but I try to be careful not to misplace that!

Ven

• JustAThought
    JustAThought

Again, I ask about the families/loved ones of the victims of the bombing. Honestly, how do you really think THEY feel about the subject? For them, is justice not served by McVeigh's death? Does our society bear any responsibility to the victims and their families/loved ones? Is there anyone else in the situation whose plight is more deserving of redress?

In this discussion of the rightness/wrongness of capital punishment, we've focused on McVeigh, his family, society, U.S. standing in the community of nations, etc. Should not our main concern be the victims and their families/loved ones? I acknowledge that victims' concerns has been addressed, but has it been addressed adequately?

Some suggested that the best way to punish McVeigh is to make him live within the context of the aftermath of his actions; to bring him face-to-face with family and friends of his victims. It might work well to punish McVeigh, but what of those family members/loved ones? Should we allow a situation where we USE, even inadvertantly, the offended to punish the offender? Can you imagine the mental/emotional anguish which would accompany such encounters? Do you agree that some of the offended might get STUCK in their grieving process by having the offender live on?

Just more of my current thought processes.

JustAThought

• Seeker
    Seeker

Everybody is upset at the slaughter McVeigh caused, and rightly so. What I can't figure out is why some view the solution to this crime the slaughter of another human. There is a disconnect here, whereby the view is that it is justic to kill someone because he killed others. Killing is wrong. Period. Wrong when a criminal does it. Wrong when a government does it. Wrong when an army does it. Period.

There are times when I would kill, despite this, when forced to do so. If I am in self-defense mode, or protecting my family, I might inadvertently kill the attacker. Or if an army is invading my country, I might fight back to protect myself and my land. But I would never do it eagerly, or willingly, for killing is wrong, always and forever. It may be necessary in certain extreme circumstances, as I outlined, but it never becomes right. Taking a life is never the right response.

The U.S. is a violent country, one of the most violent on earth. Having the government kill those who disagree with its rules just encourages more violence. It sends the message that the way to solve problems is to use violence. That's barbaric.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Amazing,

I'm 54. When I was younger I supported the death penalty, but only because I hadn't really thought it through. Most people who are anti-CP have thought about it much harder than the pro-CP's, because it is an instinctive gut reaction to want to punish criminals who make life a misery for many people.

McVeighs death has caused a furore in Europe, poor old George W is in for a hot ride during his visit. Radical anti-CP movements will focus strongly on this execution and milk the publicity.

How ironic it would be if the death of one of America's vilest criminals actually became the catalyst for the eventual cassation of CP in the USA!

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit