McVeigh vs Death Penalty

by Amazing 272 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

I am a policitcal conservative, at least a fiscal conservative and sociel moderate. I support the death penalty, but I agree that our judicial system needs to overhaul how wwe treat criminals to achieve better rehabilitation results. And of course, withhold the death penalty in cases where there could be doubt.

IN McVeigh's case, I believe that he deserves the death penalty. I have some agreement with his concerns over Waco, Texas issue, and of course the FBI murdering the wife, baby, son, and dog at Ruby Ridge was wrong, and I understand that the FBI sharp shooters will go to trial on criminal charges ... BUT ...

None of this gave McVeigh the excuse to commit the murders that he did in the name of his cause ... so, he is scheduled to die on Monday ... and I cast my support with his execution. What do you all think?

Amazing

• Tanalyst
    Tanalyst

If Armageddon comes Sunday McVeigh will be dead forever.If it comes Tuesday he'll be resurected. According to WT.

Timing is everything!

• Tina
    Tina

Why do we kill to show that killing is wrong? Tina

• Amazing
    Amazing

Tina: I do not believe that we kill to show that killing is wrong. We execute those who have wantonly taken the lives of others, because they forfeited their right to live when they brutally murdered others. We give them a fair trial, and must prove beyond reasonable doubt that they are guilty. Also, in this specific case, McVeigh admitted guilt. It is Justice, not revenge, not deterence, not rehabilitation. It is pure justice.

Also, I have a serious concern with our prison system in the USA and elsewhere. So, if I were convicted of such a crime, even if innocent, I would rather die than be the fleash fodder to some 300 pound guy in a cell named Bubba who calls me sweety. I can't think of a worse way to treat people, thean to confine them to conditions like that for life. Better to pull the switch and mercifully let them go out of existence. Just my point of view. - Amazing

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I say "JUST KILL HIM ALREADY"!!!!

Ven

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Amazing,

What is the big deal about McVeigh being sentenced to death? According to christian faith we have all been sentenced to death, and us without a trial or even committing a crime. At least his death will be quick without having to face a slow, diseased filled, and sometimes an agonizing one.

Just my thoughts,

Ken P.

• JanH
    JanH

The great killer nations: China, Saudi Arabia, Iran and the USA.

As Amnesty says:

"The death penalty is the ultimate cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment.

It violates the right to life.

It is irrevocable and can be inflicted on the innocent. It has never been shown to deter crime more effectively than other punishments."

It is simply a question of who the Americans wants to be associated with.

If you think the death penalty deters horrible crimes: why is the US both the only nation in the western world with the death penalty and by far the country with the highest crime rate?

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• TR
    TR

I agree Amazing, McVeigh should die.

Jan,

As far as I'm concerned, a murderer such as McVeigh has no right to life. Why should a murderer have a right to life? I'm fully aware of the U.S.'s high crime rate. But it doesn't matter to me, a killer/rapist etc, has no right in my opinion to exist in society. I don't care what it's called; revenge, justice, whatever. Someone who's willing to cut someone else down for the fun of it, delusional beliefs, a statement against the government, etc., should be removed from society as soon as possible.

It is simply a question of who the Americans wants to be associated with.
    Yeah, ummm okay.

TR

TR

"Kults Suk"

• JanH
    JanH

Well, TR, I don't care about what McVeigh's right to life is. He could have been locked away, and never posed a danger to anyone. And his execution, more importantly, would not have beem a danger to your human rights record (or lack thereof).

The question is: what penalty system is overall the best for all citizens. Until you merkins learn to ask the right questions, you'll never gonna find the right answers. You'll be stuck in your little medieval world.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I no longer believe in the Bible being inpired of God. I do believe that the price you pay for murder should be your own life. Is it equitable? No, the murderer is not worth nearly so much as the innocent he murdered, but it is the best we can do.

In fact, Mommy , just go ahead and make that deal with yourself; "if I ever murder anyone, I agree that I should die for my crime." See, don't you feel a little less like killing already?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit