McVeigh vs Death Penalty

by Amazing 272 Replies latest jw friends

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Well Gee thanks Mommy!! being as there are no mass murders on the board I doubt I've offeneded too many people. My point was he's dead it's over why beat a dead horse!

I'm sorry if you feel I'm insensative because I feel that a horrible MASS MURDERER deserved to die!

Ven

• ianao
    ianao

Faraon:

It's simple. They're guv'ment. They can do what they want to.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Hello Amazing:

Your comment about the founding fathers of the United States is interesting; I had heard similar ("let ninety nine go free lest one innocent hang") before but do not know the exact attribution. I note here that the Framers of the constitution on the whole had no problem with capital punishment as being cruel and unusual punishment and as I recall, specifically allowed for it for crimes of treason. Then again, at that time there was no infrastructure for long term imprisonment and so their motivation for expediency is understandable.

In the specific case of McVeigh, I cannot help but think that a lust for revenge was was at least part of the reason that some in the government wanted to see him put to death, and I have most serious doubt that revengefulness is a quality we want to encourage in any government. If we want to have revenge, would it not be better to have McVeigh and those like him locked up in cages? For then in McVeigh's case we could use him as a long term example to those who might want to imitate him: "Here he is, locked away forever, a murderer, and no patriot at all as he took both life and liberty from the innocent; Tim McVeigh, the parasite, the scum, and a LOSER like any who would follow him."

I have thoughts about the concept of a "just war" (the United States against Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany is one such; the United States against Vietnam was not), but I will save these for a later day. I will comment here that I think that conscription is clearly involuntary servitude and the acceptance of the military draft in too many countries makes unjust wars more likely.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Ven
    Actually,it's not over. There are many more in federal prisons awaiting the same execution. They dont exist in a vacuum. This isn't just aa occasional event. BTW,those who think cp is wrong may take offense. Regards,Tina

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    Well, TR, I don't care about what McVeigh's right to life is. He could have been locked away, and never posed a danger to anyone.

I am not 100% in favor of the death penalty,but in such cases as McVeigh, I am in favor of it. He has confessed to the crime, so I know for sure he did it. For some this isnt the case and there have been inocent put to death.
    What you said in the qoute above would be fine if our country(USA) wasn't so good to the prisoners. They have TV, three meals a day. No hard labor. Hell, it's like a vacation to them. This is why our country has so many repeat offenders.
    What our country needs to do is make prison life a living hell so that people will think twice about committing a crime.

• JanH
    JanH

Lilacs,

Take a look at some of these articles: http://www.salon.com/directory/topics/prisons/index.html

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Hell, it's like a vacation to them. This is why our country has so many repeat offenders.

I don't mean to be rude, but that displays a gross level of ignorance toward the reality of life behind bars. I would choose death over life in prison every time without hesitation.

Stop reading conservative propaganda about what prisoners go through -- they are lying to you.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi lilacs,
    I would suggest you tag along with a criminal justice or corrections college student on one of their tours of local prisons.
    Quite educational and nothing like you describe. regards,Tina

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline
    Since we've got these freaking bleeding heart liberals who say "Oh no, we musn't make the prisoner work, that would be slavery!" BULL SHIT.

I say, give em three choices.

1) Lifetime enrollment in the Military, any branch. (teach these a**holes some discipline)

2) Full time supervised work for society. (Supervise em and let them build roads, houses for the poor, 60 hours as week like all of the other hard working Americans etc etc)

3) DEATH.

Let's not forget, these people had a CHOICE about their criminal enterprise--their victims did NOT.

Lisa,
    Not in the mood to hear about criminal's rights class

Bravo, Lisa! Well said!

RCat

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Call me an insensitive prick, but I think he got off easy. He and all violent murderers should die slowly at the hands of the surviving family members.

Maybe slowly pulling off his fingernails, then slicing him open to pull out his intestines while he is forced to watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit