McVeigh vs Death Penalty

by Amazing 272 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

I am bringing this back to the top, because it seems that the American Public has already forgotten Timothy McVeigh, and life goes on. McVeigh has not become the Maryter that some feared would happen when we was executed. I am willing to bet that our American cultural style of forgetting history so quickly, will be seen in the ignorance of children in just a couple of years. Ask them then, and they will say, "Timothy who". - Amazing

• Englishman
    Englishman

Amazing,

Indeed, America may have forgotten McVeigh already.

One thing is for sure though, the rest of the civilised world hasn't forgotten that America still performs the art of execution upon its own citizens, a fact that will undoubtedly preclude it from paricipating fully in human right discussions.

Just out of interest, the last European execution took place in France in 1977, when a murderer was beheaded by the guillotine.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Amazing:

Isn't it rather too soon to assume that McVeigh has been forgotten and hasn't become a martyr to a twisted cause?

Revenge bomb attacks take months, maybe years, to plan and execute. I, for one, hope like hell he is forgotten completely, but America would be naive to assume this so quickly.

Expatbrit

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hey Englishman and Expatbrit: First, I love the guillotine, as it is fast mand merciful, and most civilized. Does not waste electrical energy or gas or drugs bullets. And it sure beats the rope.

I disagree that USA executions places us outside the civilized world with respect to human rights. One only has to look at the Peoples Republic of China to see what uncivilized executions are about. In the USA we are most careful and almost afraid to execute, and allow many ways for a convict to appeal.

As stated when I started this post, I favor suspension of executions in the USA because of possible errors. But in cases like McVeigh's, it seems like the only way we can obtain justice.

As far as Expatbrit's view of how fast America forgets ... well, unless the media reminds us, we tune out the recent past and are off onto other things. Personally I am not that way, but all to many are here. Regardless of ones position and views, I think America needs serious overhaul in the lack of importance it places on history lessons in grade school and high school. We are sorely lacking in comparison to the rest of the world when it comes to this topic.

Amazing

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    One only has to look at the Peoples Republic of China to see what uncivilized executions are about.

Sorry, I didn't know there was such thing as a civilised execution....

Dig

I'm not singing for the future
    I'm not dreaming of the past
    I'm not talking of the first time
    I never think about the last

...Shane Patrick Lysaght MacGowen

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

Amazing,I do hope you're right,but like Expatbrit I figure it will be a long time before we can say that for sure.

In my hometown we have militia members who are swearing that "Gods wrath will soon be upon us for the execution of an innocent man".The man who said this is the leader of the militia in this county.In fact,he said this to me."What Ryder truck?"he said"I watched the whole thing on TV for eight hours after it happened and there was no Ryder truck in front of that building,that's a lie the government made up to blame an innocent man".

Now any idiot knows that a bomb that big wouldn't leave anything much of the truck it was in,so how can you argue with that kind of logic?

Amazing I usually agree with you,and I sure hope you're right this time,but it's gonna take a while before I believe it.

Cowboy

• crossroads
    crossroads

McViegh gets the needle
    Hansen gets a deal
    Garza gets the needle
    Sammy (the bull) gets a deal
    Gambino still breathes and feels(I was going to say
    wheel and deal but all of us Americans know that it is
    impossible for him to do that from the countries most secure federal prison)
    TRUTH, JUSTICE and the AMERICAN way.
    Just going through those names alone will show all
    you pukin' death penalty advocates that it is not what
    you do that gets you the needle. It's the lack of what you
    have to give the government back that makes them take
    your breath away.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Digderidoo: "Civilized execution". I don't see why not in certain cases, McVeigh, Hitler, and those like that. What esle would we do with them? Torture them? How civilized would that be?

One the other hand, release them all from prison, with a ring on their neck that identifies them as murdererd, molesters, and rapists. The ring flashes and cannot be removed by anyone for the rest of their life. They simply take their chances in Society. Maybe that way, someone will kill them, and we simply move the ring from their neck to the other person ... no jails, no prisons, no cost except for the flashing ring. As an alternative a device glued to their forehead and hand that flashes. And when they start to comit another crime, the innocent people carry a device that they simply push a button and the criminal is disabled for 1 hour until police can come or the victims can get away.

What do ya think? - Amazing

• Englishman
    Englishman

Amazing,

I applaud most of what you write, but on this one you are IMO, so, so way off that I can't believe that this is your opinion. You are so backward in your dealings with criminals that it is almost embarrasing. America has contributed so much to the world, at one time it provided shelter for it's "huddled masses" as well as giving hope to the oppressed via the "American dream".

Yet, you persist in this religious eye for an eye stuff that is perceived by the rest of the world as a desire for vengeance. This huge country with all its wealth and power can only resort to violence as a means of dealing with it's deviants. I don't think that you can possibly have any idea of how badly this reflects on the USA because CNN and all the other news channels trim out the rest of the worlds opinions when broadcasting at home.

The sad part is that you appear to have been sucked in by all the media rhetoric, isn't it so that we abhor the WTBTS's teachings that everyone is deserving of death, if that is so how can you possibly promulgate capital punishment?

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Question: For those who see no excuse for captial punishment, anywhere anytime.

Would you take up arms for your respective nations? If so, would you shoot to kill, or merely wound? Would you obey order's to bomb, knowing for certain, collateral damage to civilians, would occure?

If you are selective in your yes answer's...you are not a pacifist.
    If you answer no to all questions..you are likely a pacifist.

How anyone that can in good consience answer yes to any of the above questions, take an absolut stand against capital punishment is beyond my ability to understand. Degree's of captial punishment don't count. If you are willing to take up arms for your government, you are caring out capital punishment. You cannot have it both ways.

Are you a pacifist, or not?

LDH you expressed my thoughts on this matter to a tee.

DannyBear

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit