McVeigh vs Death Penalty

by Amazing 272 Replies latest jw friends

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

TJ

let me say that if we had just popped up on an island somewhere and didn't know what forms of behavior were acceptable, then we could overlook mcveigh's chosen path to address his problems

Please share with us the acceptable form of behavior......
    Adam & Eve Popped up and then had two kids
    one a murderer.......

where does this acceptable form come from......

S

• JustAThought
    JustAThought

It is American society, through it’s elected government, which determines which crimes are punishable by death. In fact, it is American society, through it’s elected government, which determines all penalties for all crimes.

There are lines and gradations drawn all through the American system of justice.

If a policeman stops you for speeding, you pay your debt to society (for making the society’s transportation systems just a little less safe) by paying a monetary fine (unless you are habitually stopped for traffic offenses, in which case your privilege to drive may be suspended or revoked).

If you get caught robbing a bank, the penalties are higher. In this case, you will likely be imprisoned (lose a large measure of your personal freedom) for some extended period of time. Even if persons are killed in the robbery attempt (as long as it is able to be reasonably demonstrated that robbery, not murder, was the primary objective), it is likely that you will lose your freedom for a very long time, but keep your life.

However, American society, through democratic means, has sanctioned the death penalty for what it considers to be the most heinous of crimes. Therefore, if a person, of otherwise sound mind, with malice and aforethought, deliberately and premeditatively sets out to AND succeeds in killing members of American society, that society has concluded (for this time) that the death penalty will be an option to be considered.

If you agree that there is no objective standard on which we base our societal laws, ethics, and values, then the establishment of such penalties is left up to the subjective determinations of the individual societies in which we all live. There, effectively, is no right or wrong, other than that which each society dictates. If you disagree with the determinations of the society in which you live, you have the opportunity to politic to change those aspects of society with which you disagree, or, if need be, relocate to another society.

JustAThought

• crossroads
    crossroads

Teejay---FYI--Truman ordered the bombing of the cities.
    Good ol' IKE--sent green horn troops to slaughter on
    the beaches at Normandy.......Thats why he sent green
    horn troops(never been in battle before) because he
    knew they were all going to die. Oh I also believe that
    if CNN was alive and covering the invasion that my
    friend would have been the last week America was in
    Europru's war.

I know exactly what McVeigh did my points are to try to
    make you see the injustice in our so called justice system.

Justathought---your argument falls pittifully short.
    Why isn't Hansen getting executed, Sammy the bull,
    Gotti, ect, ect, ect,ect,-------The last two have certanily
    harmed more INNOCENT children than McVeigh did
    answer me.

Oh and this is a republic not a democracy, put it to
    a vote, and you'll find out.The majority of people want stringent gun laws(Mcveigh on the other hand sided
    with the NRA and the 2nd amendment) people are
    against the death penalty. The majority of people
    were against Clarence Thomas for the Supreme court.
    If you didn't know AL got more votes than JR,thus Al
    won the majority. People were against a "punk" naming
    more ass-holes to the supreme court but hey the people
    lost. In the U.S. money talks and the people walk,
    wake the f**k up.

• JustAThought
    JustAThought
    Oh and this is a republic not a democracy, put it to a vote, and you'll find out.

I don't believe I ever said America was a democracy.

The majority of people want stringent gun laws(Mcveigh on the other hand sided with the NRA and the 2nd amendment) people are against the death penalty. The majority of people were against Clarence Thomas for the Supreme court. If you didn't know AL got more votes than JR,thus Al won the majority. People were against a "punk" naming more ass-holes to the supreme court but hey the people
    lost.
    This is all just opinionated rant. Got any statistics to back this up?

JustAThought

• Julie
    Julie

Crossroads said, among other things:

:If you didn't know AL got more votes than JR,thus Al
    won the majority.

Justathought said:

:This is all just opinionated rant. Got any statistics to back this up?

Do you actually dispute this FACT????? Where in the hell have you been?

Marvelling at those whose minds are closed and locked up tight,
    Julie

• JustAThought
    JustAThought

Julie,

There is no debate on whether Al Gore won the popular vote by a slight margin nationwide. But we don't elect our presidents by virtue of direct popular vote.

There is (was) a question over who really won the electoral vote (something that was to be recalculated and publicized, based on Florida returns), but I have heard nothing in that regard which puts the results of the election in question. Post-election vote counting that I have seen reported, since the election, show Bush gaining more votes in Florida than Al Gore, and so, confirming the results of the election. Anything other than that would be big news, as I'm sure you would agree.

JustAThought

• crossroads
    crossroads

Justathought--Have we finally HIT common ground.
    To back up a second where's the reply to my question
    about Sammy and Gotti. You called it Democracy not I.
    You said AL won the popular vote. But being in a
    Republic that didn't matter.Because WE are still
    letting ourselves be ruled by the wealthy(WHITE) land owners who put the "Electorial college" in over 200 years ago.In fear of the people electing an idiot to the White house.
    Now being the electorial college has done what it was
    set up to prevent we should abolish it. But WE can't
    only the wealthy and powerful ol' WHITE boys in
    Washington can. Now during the time of NO president
    elect there was much hype in the MEDIA about getting
    rid of the college. But since the loser won and has no
    chance of winning again if the electorial college is abolished
    NOTHING will CHANGE. And there in lies my claim
    that no adult U.S. tax paying citizen is INNOCENT.

Is there anybody out there who would have nominated
    Ashcroft for A.G. let alone voted for his confirmation.
    Yes democracy at it's finest, these are not rants my friend.
    Ashcroft is a fact just ask around you if he is lucky he
    would get 25% of the vote. Thomas is a fact do the same.
    Lord let us hope no justice's will retire while this spoiled
    rotten brat is in the White house.

BTW---Lets bring back Mario Cuomo and lets abolish the
    death penalty while were at it.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions whether pedophiles should suffer the Death Penalty? Or would finding ways of treatment be more appropriate? - Amazing

• Englishman
    Englishman

Enforced gladitorial combat perhaps?

To the death of course.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• teejay
    teejay

I asked the instructor (a counselor by profession) of a psych class that I just finished about pedophiles, since one of the last chapters in the textbook dealt with psychological disorders (including pedophilia). Since it was a topic of interest to me, I stayed after class to speak to him about your very question.

His answer wasn't very optimistic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit