US calls off search for weapons of mass destruction

by WhyNow2000 193 Replies latest social current

• dubla
    dubla

rob-

The problem is that WMD keeps changing definition.

you must not have read my entire post....go back and read my response to six. the definition of "wmd", as supplied by the u.n. in 1991 doesnt keep "changing", and the inclusion of checmical weapons in that definition is nothing new.

As far as chemical WMD, everybody knew that Iraq had them because we had sold it to them.

which ones exactly? and do you have some proof of this? again, see my response above to six. this is a common and fallacious argument tossed around ad nauseum with little or no backing.

BTW, where is the proof of the chemical weapons? For that matter, any sort of WMD?

when did i say there was new proof? im certainly not arguing that, nor have i ever been.

aa

• Englishman
  • Simon
    Simon

Powell casts doubt on Iraq WMDs

US Secretary of State Colin Powell has conceded that Iraq may not have possessed any stocks of weapons of mass destruction before the war last year.

US Secretary of State Colin Powell
    Powell said it was an open question whether WMDs existed in Iraq

In the run-up to the US-led war against Iraq, he gave a presentation to the Security Council, in which he asserted that Saddam Hussein had amassed secret weapons of mass destruction.

But in his latest remarks, he told reporters travelling with him that it was an "open question" whether Iraq had any stocks of weapons of mass destruction at all.

David Kay, who had led the US hunt for weapons in Iraq resigned. He told Reuters news agency he did not believe there had been large-scale production of chemical or biological weapons in Iraq since the end of the first Gulf War in 1991.

"I don't think they existed," Mr Kay said.

"What everyone was talking about is stockpiles produced after the end of the last Gulf War and I don't think there was a large-scale production programme in the 90s."

With members of the Bush administration steadily backtracking from their earlier claims, the hunt for Iraq's weapons of mass destruction could have a very uncertain future once sovereignty is handed back to the Iraqis at the end of June.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3426703.stm

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, I've made it clear before that I know very little about the political scene, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the Bush administration is (and has been, for some time) in serious back-track mode on the WMD issue.

As far as I'm concerned, the WMD claim has proven to be just a bunch of hogwash (and yes, I believed it at the beginning).

My take: so what? It sure isn't the first time government has obfuscated the public in order to get into a war (as I suspect happened in WW2), and it sure won't be the last.

Craig

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    My take: so what?

GW Bush: My point exactly!

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Well this thread, which has caused hard feelings on this site already, is about to die so four days after the last post Simon has this need to keep it alive.

Who cares? Not me.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Stacey,

I'm sick of your anti-Americanism. Quit it.

Bradley

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Stacey,

I'm sick of your anti-Americanism. Quit it.

Bradley

Brad I even have the perfect platform from which to straighten out America finally. This will even cure the worlds ills. Want to know what it is????

I Hate Bush

Yes this is what America and the world wants to hear. Bush sucks. With nothing more than that we can have a perfect paradise on earth.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

US weapons inspector quits after realising that claims of iraqs WMD were bs. another inspector that "doesnt know what he's talking about".

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/01/24/MNGU84H6191.DTL

"david kay is so un-american"

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

David Kay's opinion is that there are no WMD...that's his opinion...some do believe they're there...others think that the WMD are in another country already (me).

My take: so what? It sure isn't the first time government has obfuscated the public in order to get into a war (as I suspect happened in WW2), and it sure won't be the last.

If what you're saying is true then Bush 1, Clinton, and Bush 2 are all in on it.

Hey...Saddam had a chance to come clean and DIDn't...we know for a fact he HAD WMD...he could have easily proven he didn't and all this wouldn't have happened...he choose to "obfuscate" instead...he got what he wanted.

If you want to find the WMD...look in Syria and Lebenon.

Edited to Add:

Let me also point out that the title of this thread is just soooo wrong...with the US hiring another Inspector it shows they're still looking...and hiring a guy who feels as Kay does shows they're trying to be objective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit