For the believers

by gentlesoul 107 Replies latest jw friends

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

gentlesoul... I'm not a Christian (which I assume is what you mean by 'believer'), but I'll venture to give my thoughts, not as a co-religionist but simply as a human being.

If your purpose in being at this site is to convert people, then I suppose that yes, you may very well be "throwing your pearls before swine." Few people here accept Christianity; and what is more, any Christian theological ideas you present on this site are likely to be challenged (as this thread exemplifies).

If your purpose here, however, is to provide friendship and support to those who are leaving the Watchtower, then I don't believe that your time and effort is wasted. Whatever your religious and ethical motivations, kindness and compassion are worthwhile and praiseworthy. And who knows, perhaps you may serve as an example to some departing Witness that it is possible to be Christian without adopting the sort of attitude the Watchtower espouses.

• seven006
    seven006

GS,

Your spiritual mentality is exactly the same sentiment use by those spiritual zealots that crashed some jet airplanes into a couple of buildings killing thousands. Instead of viewing them as swine they called their intended victims infidels. The god they buy into has a different name but the accusation and self righteous sentiment is the same. Slap Jesus, Buddha, or Allah's name on a burning cross before you stick into the ground to show your love for your fellow man makes no difference. It is still a misuse of uneducated, small minded, and misguided zeal for the god of your choice. Calling those who do not buy into your god, pigs is just the first step in spiritual retardation that leads to lighting a cross on fire and eventually parking an airplane on the 82nd floor.

Maybe you should practice a little of that Christian love you try to spread here and check yourself for a little curly tail.

Dave

• Xandria
    Xandria

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Calling people swine or "sinners" or even worse unworthy. Is not what I call Christian. It is inflamitory, cruel and frankly rude. Is it far from harmless, it is also taking the place of judging the spiritual content of someone. Which, if you follow the "teachings" is not your place to judge. My personal relationship or lack of, is between me and God. Not you, me and God. I do not have to explain my relationship to you. An for you, to come here spouting off and judging others by your "standards" is sanctimonious and reflects just what spiritual being you come to bring us into. I do not want any part of that spirit, you have offered.

Judge not, that ye be not judged.For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

The fruits of your spirits have come across quite rotten and even bitter. Many of the people here have had religion and religious people all their lives cram thier way of thinking and "love" upon us. I do not blame them for feeling a tad bit wary and even hostile. I to get very hostile when some one tries to force his or her views upon me with a closed mind.

So I suggest you re-evaluate your purpose and even the spirit in which you offer this "fruit of knowledge" in. Do not assume that they do not know~ for many of us know all too well and wish to journey through this in our own way. Who are you to tell us how to commune with our God or worship ? That is something simply between the person and God.

X.

• shamus
    shamus

Gentle Soul,

Your name belies who you really are. I, one time, was joking with you and you cowardly called me an idiot. Now, everyone knows that I'm an idiot, but for a total stranger to say that you don't give a crap about me in any event, just when I'm jesting with you...

Why don't you lay off the persecution complex, trying to get sympathy from some of the posters here. In effect, I am saying why don't you kiss my ass.

Go get a life, friend. If you can't be real on this forum then you are most unwelcome in my books. Stop having a persecution complex and get over whatever is bothering you in life.

Regards,

Shamus

• Islandboy99
    Islandboy99

Hi all,

I just wanted to say hi, as this is my first post... I've been df'ed now for a little over 6 years, and am finished with all religions.. Am I still a believer?? I'd have to say yes. The doctrine and interpretation of the witnesses is still with me. Whether its true or not? I just don't know. I'm at a loss because its the only interpretation I've ever learned, and now when others try to teach me things, I can't have an objective view... Pearls before swine? That I don't believe!!! Nope, not one bit! Their judgement and self-righteousness are what turned me off to them in the first place.

• shamus
    shamus

Welcome to the forum, Island boy!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome Islandboy!!! Good to have you join us... Glad you managed to get free from religion...But my advice as an old lady--- just continue in prayer.. HE promised not to leave us as orphans even though we dont understand -just like little kids! they see things their earthly Father does ( & dont understand why) So we can question our Creator =Jesus Christ. Because HE made EVERYTHING!!!( disregared the brackets in the Watch Tower bible they are added....GG

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    First of all this thread was for the believers I guess some do not comprehend what they read.

Anyone is free to read and reply to anything here. If you really want to keep your words away from infidels' prying eyes, pick out individual believers and send them private messages.

they seem to think that they can ridicule those who believe but oh don't say anything bad about what they believe.

Aren't you doing the same thing, here? Unusual ideas of all varieties will be challenged. That's what freedom of speech means. Many people will resort to hyperbole, simplification and other borderline logical errors - Christians and unbelievers alike.

I'm a pagan, and I've seen pagan beliefs raked over the coals as thoroughly as Christian ones on this board. By and large, the pagans didn't accuse the skeptics of self-righteousness, but did their best to defend their beliefs.

Somewhere on this board, a couple years back, is a lively debate between COMF and Sirona on the existence of the spiritual realm. Sirona did not whine, as I recall, and COMF, while still an agnostic, has mellowed considerably.

I think they call that self righteuosness.

from yourdictionary.com:

self-right·eous

1. Piously sure of one's own righteousness; moralistic.
    2. Exhibiting pious self-assurance.

This draws it rather mild. I think self-righteousness is an occupational hazard, no matter your faith.

I'm just sorry your conscience is so fragile that you feel the need to quarantine yourself. If you're actually afraid of being contaminated by people who believe differently, I advise you to leave.

GentlyFeral

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Gentlesoul,

First of all this thread was for the believers I guess some do not comprehend what they read. I also noticed that the ones who took it so terribly that they seem to think that they can ridicule those who believe but oh don't say anything bad about what they believe. I think they call that self righteuosness

You might have ahad a point in stating the above if were true that all believers were treated as you have been in this thread, but they are not. Mouthy, Little Toe, Ozzie and many others are strong Christians and are much loved members of this Board. Their posts have never been attacked such as have yours and the reason for that is very simple. They at least follow Christ's words and exercise their faith without judging others. Your comments at the opening of this thread were inexcusable and I do not care who defends you. You need to apologize. You will then find that you will be treated with the kind of respect that you expect from others.

Please remember, that many people, even those who chose an agnostic path, may not have a difficulty with Christianity but do have a difficulty with some 'Christians'. Many have suffered decades from the judgmental attitudes common within the WTS and are certainly not going to be sneered at by such as yourself. As far as I am concerned, you judge me as a 'swine' before whom you care not to throw your 'pearls', and you will be fair game.

HS

• seven006
    seven006

HS,

As with other agnostics I did not choose the agnostic path. Agnos searched me out and opened my heart and mind to his truth, nonjudgmental and unconditional love.

Praise Agnos and all his creatures in various stages of evolution and creation.

Peace be with ya brotha

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit