For the believers

by gentlesoul 107 Replies latest jw friends

• gentlesoul
    gentlesoul

drwatson,

By the way I did not mean that scripture to be rude but I do however do believe in scripture and I used that scripture as a concern of if I was wasting my time here. Because there are so many unbelievers here and only a handful of believers it seems that because of what I believe and you do not that maybe I should not be here. I would hope that you can see where it might bother my conscience a bit. Anyway I just wanted to make myself clear on this subject and to let others know I am not looking to get anyone upset by any means.

• amac
    amac
    I think it is guilt that cause people to get fired up

Gentlesoul - Getting fired up does not mean a person is responding due to guilt. When people use terms like " cast pearls before swine?" and " can make some good here and is that why we continue to come here? " about another group of people it is insinuating that the group is possibly swine and that they are judged as in the wrong and bad, henceforth the need to "make some good here."

You should be able to see how non-believers of the Christian faith might see that as arrogant and insulting.

Rather than assuming you are right, since religion (or the bible) cannot be proven beyond peoples personal opinions, it might be more tactful to have the approach that you believe you are right but concede that your knowledge is limited (as all of ours is) and that you are willing to share your beliefs with others but you are open to discussing others beliefs in return, with a mutual respect.

Just a thought.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

gentlesoul, your approach to spirituality does seem much better than the works-based salvation of the JWs.

However, I still have a problem with the idea that Christianity is the "right" religion. What about the billion+ people that live in India? Are they doomed because they weren't "lucky" enough to be born in a Christian country? Most of those people will never question their religion and explore Christianity let alone convert to it. Just like most people born here would never explore or convert to Hinduism.

(Sorry...this thread has been sidetracked because of me.)

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Because there are so many unbelievers here and only a handful of believers it seems that because of what I believe and you do not that maybe I should not be here.

This forum's purpose is not to convert anyone's beliefs. There is a large mix of beliefs here. Some people are theists, some atheists, some agnostics. Some practice pagan religions such as Wicca.

Like I said before, you and your beliefs belong here just as much as anyone's. I wasn't implying that you had my grand permission to be here.

• gentlesoul
    gentlesoul

amac,

You say that we all deserve respect, well where was the respect when I used a scripture from something I believe in. I respect the fact that some people do not believe in God, I have friends that do not believe in God, but I will ad that when I talk about God to them they give me the respect of hearing what I say without caustic replies. In return I also listen to them. But I did not get the respect of what I believe when I got replies such as I did even though that scripture is in the bible and not something I just made up but I did not get the same respect you think I should give others as yourself. This is not a one sided issue here and your certainly not talking with a kid here by far either. I have been around the block a few times more than you. So I guess what I am getting at is this " you get what you give" if you want respect then you have to give it also......peace

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome newbie...Do I think those who believe in JESUS can come here???? Bet your bottom dollar I do. I am a Lover of the LORD Jesus Christ. & My understanding of scripture was 'IT IS FINISHED" The question is WHAT is finished ???? Well the GRACE GOUGH interpretation is!!!!Works, Laws, hate,fear,.... Sure we will still have some of those things creep into our lives ...WE are FLESH--- & you know the saying!!!! the flesh is weak... I tell you one thing you will find more LOVE on this board than you will in ANY Kingdom Hall .... I have been to them every in England U,S.A Canada... Hang around sweetie.... A lot on here dont believe in God, or Jesus, but they are the "salt" I have found love, kindness, thought provoking questions, lots of laughs, many tears... What Or I should say where else can you go to sit at home & have a love in?????? BUT remember now !!!! No judging, I spout what I believe & I have only been rebuked once---so they are a real tolerant lot... Pull up a chair & join in UNCONDITIONAL Love you like to... I am also a person that closes threads, But I know they get read ( well some of them ) Grace Gough....( see I even dont care who knows I am here I am FREE!!!!!!!!!!

• mouthy
    mouthy

I want to also add. I dont have to go to church... If we are quoting scripture let us remember it says. "where there are two or three gathered in my name I am there" There are two or three others believe here I think the rest are our buddies -they talk on occasion about what they believe.... For 25 years I heard " who will be in Gods Kingdom????" I still believe that.... First that I got there, 2nd that those I was told would be there are NOT> 3rd that those I was sure wouldnt be there> are" Remember HE is looking at the HEART you cant see mine I cant see yours... Right????

• amac
    amac
    well where was the respect when I used a scripture from something I believe in

You can't control the actions of others, and you certainly shouldn't base your actions on what others do. Didn't Jesus teach that?

talk about God to them they give me the respect of hearing what I say without caustic replies.

Your friends probably know you much better than people on a discussion board. I was simply trying to explain why people you first meet might take offense at the words you use. Take it or leave it, act as you will, it doesn't bother me. I did notice that you did not respond to anything in my post though. I'd be interested to know if you agree or disagree and why.

This is not a one sided issue here and your certainly not talking with a kid here by far either. I have been around the block a few times more than you.

I never assumed I was talking to a kid. You could be 100 years old for all I know. But that is quite the assumption you are making of me. Are you absolutely sure that you've been around the block a few more times than me?

So I guess what I am getting at is this " you get what you give" if you want respect then you have to give it also......peace
    I'm sorry if you think I disrespected you. Please point out how I did it so I can refrain from similar actions in the future. Besides this, I'm not sure if that is the way that Christ taught..."you get what you give."
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

To answer the question, as a believer...

I enjoy the company of the folks here, and tolerance of other's beliefs is part of my spiritual ethic.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

oink oink

If you feel you are wasting your time, why bother to post here?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit