Yes, Deb has copyright on Jon Mitchell's book. She respects copyrights not like some copyright pirates.
CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE
Let's not forget that it took over 2 years, just for the U.S copyright office to transfer it from Cynthia to Deb.
So that would have been in 2016, by which time Deborah's husband was very ill.
In that case I think she has done a remarkable job given the challenges she was facing at home.
I think that Ray Franz's intention to include the material does not equal permission from the copyright owner in law. I suspect Ray Franz would have made sure this was in order if he had got round to it himself. Has the current publisher done so?
The reasons for cynicism are these.
1. There is no good reason why the book could not have continued to be published when Cynthia died in 2013, in the original format, just as it had continued to be published in 2010 when Ray Franz died.
2. We were promised at the time that the book would be available within weeks. Instead it has taken nearly half a decade. Why?
3. It is still not actually available in print yet. It's promised for a few weeks' time, but we've been here before. I hope it does get released, but on track record we shouldn't count our chickens yet.
4. $9.99 in certainly not expensive, but it's not as cheap as it might be either, for an ebook if your main intention is the widest circulation possible. Unfortunately between the delays, changes, and ebook charges, it seems fair to conclude that wide distribution, as quickly as possible, does not appear to have been the priority of the copyright owner.
5. It's terrible that anyone suffers illness or through the illness of others. But to deflect any valid criticism for poor decisions over many years on that basis is what is cynical.
Evidently Ray Franz felt it was more important for his work to fall into the hands of his trusted friends than to hand it off to a younger and more pro-active party.
Ray Franz, as I recall, made no provision for the publication or transfer of the rights to his books after his death.
His wife naturally inherited those rights since he died first. It was Cynthia's decision leave the rights to her friends in her will, not Ray Franz. Ray Franz's apparent lack of concern about what happened to his books was much commented on at the time.
How is taking three years to publish a book you inherited indicative of “poor decisions”? Your choice of words seems to indicate that she purposely delayed it. You be Dykstra. Tell us what you’d do. It’s 2015/16 and the copyright just got transferred to you. You also are elderly and have a spouse who is dying. Go.
I would ask and accept help from people who know how to publish ebooks and print on demand books. Such help was offered by people on this forum and elsewhere. This could have been done within weeks at the most. Instead we were told the matter was in hand and would be published within weeks. I would publish ISofCF too, and save needless energy making a new introduction and other changes. You could do that later in another edition if you really want, if it takes years. Personally I would not charge $9.99 for the ebook either - unless I needed the income I suppose. Because I didn't write the book and I would want as many people as possible to read it.
I have pre-ordered a hard copy from Amazon USA. It's available in paperback only at the moment but it is only £19.00 roughly plus £5 shipment to the UK, If any Brits its are interested.
I look forward to reading the additions. I presume the "great crowd" pamphlet is about the temple in revelation being the "naos" in Greek, which is the same word as inner sanctum....the Holy of Holies. Does anyone know if the jw's have an answer to this?
I think the main problem was the lack of info on the website. I think even a brief note explaining her predicament and plans would suffice.
I don't think, however, this was anything to do with Deborah. I think she was poorly advised by people who had an agenda.
The worst thing about that naos controversy was the WT article that cited verses where the word wasn't used. And when pointed out didn't correct it.
JWs have basically avoided the issue for the last 40 years.