CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE

by Newly Enlightened 122 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Searril
    Searril

As someone who had never even heard of CoC or ISoCF until a few years ago, I am one of the ones who read an improper pdf version that I found on the internet. I'm not bragging about it as I know it wasn't a great thing to do, but I had given up on being able to find a legitimate copy for a reasonable price. The third hand reseller prices were exorbitant. I'm not making excuses for myself, just admitting what I did and explaining why.

All that said, however, I am very happy to hear that a new edition is being published and I absolutely intend on purchasing a legitimate copy.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I too read a pdf because it was my only option. I'd do it again if I had to.

I've now ordered 3 paperback versions from Amazon ( hardback not yet available). I'm going to donate 2. I also planned to do that.

Just out of interest, e-book collections from Amazon ( and I've got over 700 as I'm a mad reader) finish with you when you die ie you can't pass them on to anyone!!

By the way bravo SBF for your apology, you're less of a hypocrite than a few on this site!

• steve2
    steve2

No Diogenesister, e books you have purchased do not necessarily die when you die. Anyone who has your user name and password can access them. It is over to you whether and to whom you pass on those “keys”.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Just got my softcover copy today!

• batchannel
    batchannel

I'm going to try to set the record straight here on what really happened. I assisted Ray Franz for many years in page layout and technical support, including building his first website for him. Shipping physical books was hard on Ray after his stroke, and so we prepared a PDF version of Crisis of Conscience that could be sold online. I cobbled together a system that automatically emailed a link for a protected PDF file using a code to access it once payment had been made. Ray was very happy with this system because it required no labor and the few hundred dollar a month it generated helped supplement his meager retirement savings as well as allowed his work to be read in a format that may have been more appropriate for someone trying to keep evidence of their doubts hidden from family members still in the Witnesses.

Towards the end of his life, he had hoped to find someone who could take over the management of Commentary Press, his publishing imprint, but no viable candidates presented themselves. Upon his untimely death in 2010 from a gardening accident, I managed the website and made sure the funds were properly deposited into Cynthia's bank account, which was Ray's main hope even though no proper succession had been put in place. (By the way, I never took a penny for any help I provided.)

Debbie Dykstra was close to Cynthia and assisted her personally in many ways. But Debbie convinced Cynthia that she should manage Commentary Press, something myself and a few close associates of Ray's felt was inappropriate. We wanted to keep things as they were, where people could purchase e-versions of Ray's books and the money would continue into Cynthia's accounts. At Debbie and Cynthia's request, I turned over control of the domain name to her and soon after, she shut down the website that provided automatic fulfillment of Crisis of Conscience, claiming she would shortly replace it with something better.

Instead, it sat fallow for many years while she prepared a revised edition that incorporated her own story into the mix. Ray would not have approved of this in any way and as happy as I am that there is finally some version available again, I believe Debbie overstepped her bounds by trying to "improve" on Ray's last efforts and he would have been frustrated and saddened that she kept his last sanctioned revision of Crisis off the market for so many years. I offered to restore the previously functioning web store and to make sure all funds went to Debbie, but was rebuffed.

I can't pretend to know her motivation for this. Ray often complained of certain evangelical Christians wanting him to endorse some denomination of Christianity that they had embraced after leaving the Witnesses, but he refused, always pointing out that their agendas were distractions from cultivating a simple and personal relationship with God and Jesus. Ray's defense of a simple Christianity, that wherever "two or three were gathered" in Christ's name, there Christ was, seems to be the most reasonable and loving interpretation of that religion. Everything else was more about ego than about essence, he felt.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Thanks for that BC, is there anywhere that I can get a PDF copy of this, In Australia now we cant buy from Amazon US, we have to buy from the Aus. store and the Aus. store does not list C.O.C.

RB

• batchannel
    batchannel

We also used to sell In Search of Christian Freedom in PDF form but this has yet to see light of day. Why? I have all the original artwork and ready-to-go PDFs that could be given away if Debbie would simply agree to that. Anyone want to ask her if she would endorse that since it doesn't appear she plans to do anything with it.

• batchannel
    batchannel

This website appears to host an unsecured PDF version of Crisis from 2004, which is a Ray Franz-sanctioned version:

http://www.watchtowerwayback.org/en/static1/library

• batchannel
    batchannel

I assure you Ray was more concerned with making sure his work continued to be freely available than he was making money off his work and creating even one small barrier to getting it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well, I can’t pretend to be surprised by this update, which I find entirely plausible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit