CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE

by Newly Enlightened 122 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• under the radar
    under the radar

I for one am glad Crisis of Conscience is finally back in print and legally available and affordable to just about anyone. No price gouging here, as far as I'm concerned.

I also want to thank Debra personally for her efforts in the face of much undeserved sniping. And that's on top of her personal burdens like her own health and that of her dear husband. I think everyone, and I mean everyone, should now just shut the fork up about how long it took, or what it costs, or who wrote what part, and either buy the blanking book or don't. I'm definitely gonna buy one and I hope she makes some serious coin, especially after what she's been through to make this happen.

My hat's off to her for another reason, too. I am absolutely certain that Watchtower would have paid her millions for these copyrights, no questions asked. All she would have probably had to do was let them know she would entertain an offer. She could probably have named her own price. Obviously, she believes in what she's doing and values her word to the Franz's more than money. So if she makes a few bucks, more power to her.

Thanks, Debra. Take all the time you need to grieve and recover. We'll welcome you back whenever you're ready to jump back in the fray. Godspeed, good lady.

• Simon
    Simon

slimboyfat: stop being an asshole, you pompous self important prick. She certainly doesn't owe you an explanation for anything.

• freddo
    freddo

Simon said it more succinctly than I might have done.

• JaniceA
    JaniceA

I agree with Simon in this case.

BTW, I remember the original CoC wasn't cheap and few non formulaic books are super cheap simply because they are e-books. Schlock is free or cheap. Whatever the opinions about Dykstras timing, it isn't schlock!

Terry Walstrom is selling his ebook for 9.99. So is Lloyd John cedars. We should get kindle unlimited if we want to borrow them for free. I love ebooks, but I'd want that one as a hardcopy, personally. Novels and some memoirs can be e books,but I don't like reference material that I want to keep in that format.

• steve2
    steve2

Good one. I got impression SBF has been intent on poking as many holes in Mrs Dystra’s account and subsequent “decision-making” and,as posters responded to his unempathic pedantry, he would bring up something else, followed by another and another.

SBF’s total absence of expressed empathy and understanding regarding Mrs Dystra’s situation is astonishing and reminds me of old posts in which Mrs Dystra was callously criticised for not jumping to meet some posters’ urgent expectations.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    "slimboyfat: stop being an asshole, you pompous self important prick."

Ouch! This falls under the category of toughlove...an expression used when someone treats another person harshly or sternly with the intent to help them in the long run!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    ...Thanks, Debra. Take all the time you need to grieve and recover. We'll welcome you back whenever you're ready to jump back in the fray. Godspeed, good lady.

Amen to that!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I didn't say anyone owed me an explanation. I didn't think the simple observation that a Trinitarian countercult writer was chosen to write the introduction is the end of the world. But it is interesting, given Franz's opposition to the Trinity and the Christian countercult and, I thought, worthy of note at least, if nothing more. So I initially made a very brief comment about it. It perhaps indicates that the current copyright holder is closer to the Christian mainstream than Ray Franz was himself, to spell out the obvious implication. Ray Franz could easily have become a celebrity among countercult Evangelcials if he wanted but he chose to have no ties. These distinctions may not be important to many of us but they clearly were important to Ray Franz. Whether in turn that should be important to the copyright owner or to the reader is another question. And again, not the end of the world, but interesting for discussion, which I thought was the point of the forum. Black and white thinking I guess is what dictates that no observation even slightly contrary to the prevailing mood is viewed as legitimate. If I'm going to be attacked for making that simple observation, then I might as well point out the obvious that politeness may otherwise inhibit: the long delay was unnecessary, the additions add little, that ebooks can be free if wide distribution is your main goal, in addition to the initial observation that Ray Franz himself avoided association with the countercult because he did not share their Trinitarian opposition to JWs.

• recovering
    recovering

No matter what this women does it seems you will find fault if it was not done according to your time table sbf . Remember the Franz family left her in charge of their legacy not you. Perhaps they wanted to repay her for emotional support, physical support, friendship, or financial kindness she may have extended to them.

Bottom line she kept her word and published it. Knock it off .

BTW Nowhere is the trinity ever mentioned in the introduction. Just because that may have been a personal belief of the international's author has no bearing on what he wrote ( just like the authors political views)

• steve2
    steve2

SBF, you're like a dog with many bones and you won't drop a single one.

You claim you were attacked for 'making a simple observation' when in fact you zeroed in on several aspects of Mrs Dysktra's handling of the matter, jumping from one to another criticism after the other as posters offered counterviews.

You continue to say this point or that point is 'not the end of the world'. Good. We agree on that much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit