Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses launches worldwide campaign againt Russia

by jwleaks 80 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Jehovah's Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

March 21, 2017

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/russia/jw-mobilize-global-response-to-threat-of-ban/

NEW YORK—Threatened with an imminent ban on their worship in Russia, Jehovah’s Witnesses are responding with a direct appeal to Kremlin and Supreme Court officials for relief through a global letter-writing campaign. The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses is inviting the over 8,000,000 Witnesses worldwide to participate.

On March 15, 2017, Russia’s Ministry of Justice filed a claim with the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation to label the Administrative Center of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia as extremist and liquidate it. The claim also seeks to ban the activities of the Administrative Center. If the Supreme Court upholds this claim, the Witnesses’ national headquarters near St. Petersburg will be shut down. Subsequently, some 400 registered Local Religious Organizations would be liquidated, outlawing the services of over 2,300 congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia. The branch property, as well as places of worship used by Witnesses throughout the country, could be seized by the State. Additionally, individual Jehovah’s Witnesses would become subject to criminal prosecution for merely carrying out their worship activities. The Supreme Court is expected to rule on the claim on April 5.

“The Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses wants to heighten attention to this critical situation,” states David A. Semonian, a spokesman at the Witnesses’ world headquarters. “Prosecuting non-violent, law-abiding citizens as if they were terrorists is clearly a misapplication of anti-extremist laws. Such prosecution is based on completely false grounds.”

The Witnesses’ global campaign is not without precedent. Nearly 20 years ago, Witnesses wrote to defend their fellow worshippers in Russia in response to a smear campaign by some members of the government in power at the time. Additionally, Witnesses have initiated past letter-writing campaigns to motivate government officials to end persecution of Witnesses in other countries, including Jordan, Korea, and Malawi.

“Reading the Bible, singing, and praying with fellow worshippers is clearly not criminal,” adds Mr. Semonian. “We hope that our global letter-writing campaign will motivate Russian officials to stop this unjustifiable action against our fellow worshippers.”

Media Contacts:

International: David A. Semonian, Office of Public Information, +1-845-524-3000

Russia: Yaroslav Sivulskiy, +7-812-702-2691

DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS FOR JW LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN AGAINST RUSSIA

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Sorry about the topic heading. This is not my doing but a technical glitch with the forum.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

This is like history repeating itself. Remember when Rutherford wrote a letter the Hitler saying that the Bible Students are "pro-German" and "...are fighting for the very same high ethical goals and ideals which also the national government of the German Reich proclaimed..." http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/hitler-nazi.php

This could backfire.

In any case, this will be taken as further "proof" that the end is near and JW's are clearly the one true religion.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Could this not be an avenue we could take advantage of in getting our message across about the problems of Cult religions such as the JW`s and others ,however banning them only seems to make them stronger ?

Wouldnt it be more effective to have a series of media outlets ,print TV etc. exposing their failed predictions ,prophecys , and showing what they published in their official publications years ago that they clearly reject nowadays ?

Exposing the "old truths"/" new truths" for what it is .an excuse ,rationalisation of failed expectatipons /prophecy that never happened when they predicted it.

The internet is full of such occurences .

We could write to Russia too giving our point of view or should I say YOUR point of view.

I dont believe JW`s should be banned in Russia or anywhere else ,but I do believe we have the right to expose the JW religion for what we believe it really is. A CULT

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Even when i was a JW, i knew better than to send a letter to Mr Putin. Cant beleive they're asking them to do this. Remember the last fellow that pissed him off?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    pale.emporer - This could backfire.

I agree. Also there exists a potential problem if disgruntled former members of the JWs commence immediately to write anonymous letters threatening the Russian government. There is no way the Russians could tell the legitimate JWs from others.

pale.emporer - This is like history repeating itself. Remember when Rutherford wrote a letter the Hitler.

Joseph Rutherford, president of Watchtower and leader of the JWs, organized a letter writing campaign against Hitler which, more or less, personally threatened him. Interestingly Rutherford died first, in 1942, and Hitler died in 1945.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    smiddy - I dont believe JW`s should be banned in Russia.

Freedom of religion should be paramount for all.

I am interested in reading the personal letters each and every member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses wrote as well as the letters written by all their helpers and lawyers.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Considering the huge political problems which the Kremlin has on its plate, does anyone know the motive & who is behind this campaign to liquidate this apparently inconsequential cult in Russia? Who will gain from it?

Maybe Putin has more intel about the POTUS's son-in-law's dealings with the WTBTS than we do! :)

• menrov
    menrov

I thought true Christians do not get involved in politics. Did Jesus write letters? Did Paul ask others to write letters? What about actions for other topics where rank and file JW's are severely persecuted? May be we should organize all non-JW's to write letters to relevant governments regarding Child Abuse in the WBTS??

I can only assume there are other interests at play here?

They make a reference to a similar campaign 20 years ago. Was it successful? Also, what if this campaign fails? Has their god then also failed?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great comments menrov!

Also, I can't believe that they mentioned Malawi! Seriously? The hypocrisy of events surrounding Malawi and Mexico should have moved them to keep quite!

Why dont witnesses know about the times the society curried favour with political groups??

Also, HOW is this a "personal" letter from bro so and so and sis faithful , when they have BEEN TOLD to write it by the GB?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit