How far do we get away from 1914

by PimoElder 134 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scholar
    scholar

ThomasMore

You are correct in that nothing of Biblical significance occurred in 1934, You neglected to acknowledge that 1914 brought world war but nothing else connected to Watchtowers convoluted interpretation of those events - now 108 years ago. Although I often admire the insight you have for scriptural matters, you seem to have a blinder when it comes to 1914. I can certainly acknowledge that I could be wrong, but I actually do not think that anything I once believed as taught by WTS is correct. Perhaps we should just take Jesus at his word and agree that since no man knows the day or the hour, it is presumptuous to teach others that somehow we do.

-----

Incorrect, 1914 brought about the end of the Gentile Times a period of prophetic history that ended in the year 1914 which also transitioned into the Last Days and the Parousia an expression of the reality of God's Kingdom.

I do not have a blinder for 1914 but a simple recognition of the scriptural and modern-day historical evidence which pinpoints 1914 as a momentous event in terms of biblical prophecy and modern history.

The matter of the day and the hour is simply is an exhortation for Christ's disciples to 'Keep on the Watch' only performed by the Lord's people.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Fisherman

Actually, I cannot find the explanation anymore in the study bible to either validate what I said or refute what you say. We don’t even use the term Gentile Times anymore. Can you show proof by showing or quoting the explanation I referenced from the Study Bible.

---

False. The reference in the Study Bible is featured in the 'Appendix B1'- 'The Message of the Bible'. We most certainly do continue to use the expression 'appointed times' or as the venerable King Fames Bible renders the expression 'Gentile Times'.Both renderings are most appropriate as an explanation of the Danielic 'seven times'.

scholar JW

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    False. The reference in the Study Bible is featured in the 'Appendix B1'-

You are being dishonest. That has nothing to do with the “circa” 1914 Gentile Times explanation that I referenced and you replied to.

We most certainly do continue to use the expression 'appointed times' or as the venerable King Fames Bible renders the expression 'Gentile Times'.

You are being dishonest again. Both the NWT, the Insight and other publications now use the term: Appointed Times of the Nations instead of Gentile Times. When you input Gentile Times in the search index, you are also directed to Appointed Times of the Nations. If you search for the word circa, can’t find it anymore.

So getting back to your original explanation about circa 1914 only referring to the ousting of Satan. I am not saying that you are wrong about it. I want you to show the commentary in in the Study Bible to validate what you say. I can’t find it anymore so maybe if your explanation was true, it may be false now. What does the return of Christ mean now. Does he return circa 1914 or when he comes to separate sheep and goats. We are convinced that God kingdom rules, etc. I am just saying that even if 1914 is not the exact date, it would mot invalidate all the other convincing evidence about JW. Maybe 1914 is the exact date which seems to be the case. O believe that it is but I would like to read the commentary about circa you and I both referenced. There is a difference between measuring something with a validated standard or guessing. What do you think?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    I am just saying that even if 1914 is not the exact date, it would mot invalidate all the other convincing evidence about JW.

Fisherman, Do you still think there is something to be salvaged from the WT even after leaving? What other convincing evidence do you have about the JW's?

• scholar
    scholar

Fisherman

You are being dishonest. That has nothing to do with the “circa” 1914 Gentile Times explanation that I referenced and you replied to.

---

Provide then the details of your reference in the Study Bible!!!

You are being dishonest again. Both the NWT, the Insight and other publications now use the term: Appointed Times of the Nations instead of Gentile Times. When you input Gentile Times in the search index, you are also directed to Appointed Times of the Nations. If you search for the word circa, can’t find it anymore.

----

WT publications most frequently use the expression' appointed times of the nations' based on the NWT. Prior to the NWT, WT publications used the expression' Gentile Times' No big deal for these two expressions are synonymic.

Rather than use the Study Bible why not use the WT Online Library, WT Research Guide or the WT Publications Index which are all available online and then you can pursue the subject at your leisure. Happy reading!!!

scholar JW

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Scholar dear chap,

When you write this:

the end of the Gentile Times as a definite date of October, 1914 CE

It reminds me of a problem I always had in Witness theology. You see if the Gentile Times ended in October and Satan was cast out to forment trouble for the earth as evidenced by global war, how come WW1 started on

28 July 1914

Cheers,

Ozzie 🍷

• scholar
    scholar

ozziepost

It reminds me of a problem I always had in Witness theology. You see if the Gentile Times ended in October and Satan was cast out to forment trouble for the earth as evidenced by global war, how come WW1 started on

28 July 1914

No problem. The date for the beginning of the Great War is problematic for certainly, the assassination took place long before other nations gradually became embroiled in the conflict so the timing of the month of October well coincides with the end of the Gentile Times, the birth of the messianic Kingdom with the ousting of Satan to the earth.

scholar JW

• waton
    waton

The congregation leadership was warned that " it does not belong to you to know time[ing] and seasons, that the father* has put in his own jurisdiction." Acts 1.

the wt leaders just dont get it, in german or stalin-putinesque fashion they have invaded the father's* territory again and again.

For 1914 they promised rapture for themselves and the end of the world for the rest, In 1918 they still proclaimed: "The world has ended, millions now living will never die".

For our days it is still the same false prophecy: " We will go to heaven at the start of that Great Tribulation, and then this world will end. Soon, " not later than 2075.

Because of this divine"off limits, no trespassing" warning, all this discussion about specific dates even here, is futile, so convoluted.

*** note, jesus never used the holy name, the J word, in any personal discussions, or prayers. ---showing another wt waywardness.

• inbetween
    inbetween

"No problem. The date for the beginning of the Great War is problematic for certainly, the assassination took place long before other nations gradually became embroiled in the conflict so the timing of the month of October well coincides with the end of the Gentile Times, the birth of the messianic Kingdom with the ousting of Satan to the earth.

scholar JW"

No

You are moving the goal posts. It is true, that the war declaration followed gradually after 28.7.14, however, accoring to JW theology, it was Satan inciting them to do so, after his expelling from heaven. If he was expelled October 1914, what was his job when the whole world was already in conflict? The typical trench warfare began already in September 1914...the chain reaction of Alliances, formed decades earlier, started to cascade already.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    How far do we get away from 1914

Until the 'overlapping(tm)' stops.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit