How far do we get away from 1914

by PimoElder 134 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    I use Ken Cook as a model. He graduated High School in 1980

Based on Sanderson's blurb when he was appointed to the GB, I calculated his high school graduation as 1983, making him maybe 56 or 57 now.

But given his obesity, yeah, he'll be just a couple Big Macs from a massive coronary after another 10 years or so.

Anyone younger than them, and you stretch the credulity of "young guy's official anointing overlapping with the lifetime of Franz". You'd need to have guys who started partaking as teenagers then followed all the rules to remain "exemplary" and on the fast track.

So yeah, "new light" on "this generation" will probably come in about 10-15 years time.

Anyone want to bet on whether they'll go to a "3-ply overlap"?

• waton
    waton

I see Waton posted a possible time line. He likes the perfection of 2075. I think this is too long. I thihk we have a significant change in the next 10 years.

I use Ken Cook as a model

The wt 1914 generation is not only about the GB, as D. Splane stated, but about any of the anointed Class.

any 20 year old that had the anointing potential could have worked with Fr. Franz or the like (as I did) before his death, and still carry on today. She would be only 48 years old today. ( I am nearly twice that age). The potential super centenarian "overlapper" that D. Splane mentioned would be only ~ 100 by 2075,

If wt would revert back to the natural lifespan,generation 1914 + 118 would give them 2132, so

that are the current upper limits, The "soon," last days are" are wt diversions.

Rev 11:18 is the only realistic trigger for a quieter planet. the math is in the missile algorithms.

• luckynedpepper
    luckynedpepper

"annointing potential"

This is a new idea, as far as i am concerned. I'm pretty sure the overlapper must be annointed prior to the death of Franz. That eliminates just about everyone born after 1970, IMO.

• waton
    waton
    This is a new idea, as far as i am concerned. lnp

Yes, i specialize in new ideas, very profitably. Even a wt "anointed" might discover only retroactively that the event happened in her past. It is after all not the act of partaking (everybody should, as a potential anointed)

The apostles were only potential anointees when they partook!. Church members become anointed (christians) at baptism. anyway,

A truly devoted nearly adult of 20 to 21 years of age could have been legitimately considered her/ himself destined for heaven, and shared Fr. Franz's timeline. so,

2075, 2132 stand.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    The date 1914 is securely based on the fact that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607

We JW believe it is a fact based on interpretation of archeology and Bible chronology. Also, Study Bible uses the term “circa” 1914 referring to the Gentile Times clearly admitting that it is not an exact date and that there is a tolerance for error in the measurement.

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector

I would love for David Splane to show us how shaking hands with Fred Franz makes you part of the 1914 generation by using the bible. That overlapping chart was the most absurd thing Watchtower has ever done. Mr. Splane tries to make himself appear to be the next Fred Franz, but he is a at best an imitation.

• waton
    waton

Wt writers' big mistake was to make the 1914 generation the "anointed". Had they stuck with the likeness of the first fulfilment, namely the general public, some of who survived the end [of jerusalem], watchtower could have coasted to 2032 , because there is always a certified 118 year old on the guiness book of records. 1914 + 118 = 2032.

wt anointed on the other hand, have to be ~20 year olds, like Fr. Franz was in 1914. Therefore, wt's "anointing" mistake lopped off 20 years of the generation, which is fine if you gun for a "ssooon" armageddon date. so:

it was the wt's anointing of the 1914 generation that required the overlap grouping. but

The real big, real mistake in the "anointing" is of course that in detail it is absolutely unscriptural.

The bible generation can only pass after all has occurred. The wt generation, the partakers, has to pass before everything serious occurs, to be in heaven to cause the havoc. aka GT.

no wonder they now work on a personal relationship with the deity, because their ever tacking, tacky doctrinal ship is shipwrecked

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

JW kids born around 1995 don't see the 1914 generation in the same way us older ones did. These ones are now almost in their 30's and have families of their own. In the meantime, the older generations have long reconciled the change and performed whatever mental gymnastics they required to help them cope with the change.

The GB just has to wait for the older generations, along with their inconvenient memories to die and it's a clean slate all over again for the org.

Good to see scholar back again, always nice to have some comedy relief once in a while. 😀

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Terry, I think you meant Jonah.

As for JW's they have painted themselves into a rather tight corner with the 1914 teaching and the peripheral doctrines associated with that year. As an end times religion, they need something to happen but if it doesn't, they are flexible enough to come up with another shiny teaching to substitute. The rank & file will accept it too. Why?

Because the rank & file need something to believe in, even if it is nonsense. The type of people that follow this religion need to believe that the end is near and could come in their lifetime. They don't need scriptural-based teachings - they need hope that something will save them from this miserable life that they are leading.

This is why they seldom respond to well-thought out reasonings about their non-sensical teachings. Trying to convince them otherwise is usually an exercise in futility. After many decades of service and living through pretty radical changes, I am convinced that most JWs don't care. If they cease to teach all the nonsense of even add to it, many JWs will still follow them and send them money. Some will leave but most will not. It is sad - yes?

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Fisherman,

Actually Watchtower only uses "circa" when referring to when war broke out in heaven and Satan was ousted. They started acknowledging that "about" was better to say when it was pointed out that WW1 started in the Summer of 1914, before their interpretation of October as the end of the gentile times and when Satan was ousted from heaven to the vicinity of the earth. This was a problem so now they just say that war in heaven could have broken out before the gentile times ended, before the Summer when the war broke out. Disconnecting the 2 events helps explain the 6+ months needed for Satan to 'land' on earth and foment enough discord to start a world war.

Nevertheless, most reputable historians say 587 BCE was the actual year of Jerusalem's destruction - not 607 BCE. That would make 1934 the momentous year. But you already know that and have tried unsuccessfully on this forum to redact what you must surely know to be the truth. But you are consistent so there's that...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit