Proof of God

by MrDantastic 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty
    The premise that says "the human mind is capable of understanding the universe better than any other animal" cannot be proved by any reasoning but it must be taken as true - Brazil

This is self-evidently false.

Show me the non-human animal that has sequenced its own DNA or travelled to the moon.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Reason is the enemy of faith.

Not so sure about that. Some people would say the opposite. For many, the ability of humans to reason, and to understand the world around us, is one of the biggest reasons for believing in a deity who ensured the universe would contain beings able to understand its nature. The most remarkable thing about the universe is not even its nature, as such, or its configuration or laws, although all those things are remarkable. The most remarkable thing is that we humans are able to make sense of it. Or as Einstein said: the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility. The fact that the world is comprehensible is a miracle.

• cofty
    cofty

SBF - You didn't answer my question...

It’s the ultimate God of the universe I think most are interested in - SBF

So the question is whether an unknown and unknowable god exists.

A 'god' that doesn't communicate, didn't create, doesn't interfere in life in any way, doesn't answer prayer, didn't inspire any holy books, doesn't provide any moral guidance, doesn't provide any direction for living or hope for the future.

How exactly is this not identical to a god who doesn't exist?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I didn’t say God was any of those things.

What I am saying is that God may exist in such as way that is not identical to any particular human conception of him or faith tradition. Therefore even if you eliminate every human construction of God ever conceived you have still not touched the central issue of whether there is a God at all.

It seems perfectly possible, even likely, if God exists, that his nature and characteristics are such that have not been mapped out by any particular depiction of him.

It seems odd to make the existence of God implicitly contingent on any humans having defined him properly. God can probably exist or not exist without humans necessarily having correctly described his nature.

• cofty
    cofty

Utterly fatuous.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I firmly believe in Leprechauns.

I dare you to absolutely disprove them.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To the god believers, please tell what is a god in definition and what is supernatural being ?

• waton
    waton
    Waton - You are describing a deist god.
    A cursory glance at the unnecessary suffering he caused condemns him as a moral monster.

I know what you are saying, culling a herd, or any overpopulation is more inhumane then browsing on overgrowing vegetation, but both are essential to maintaining Gaia's balance.

By classifying the possible originator as a moral monster, you are assigning artificial substance to him/her.

All I am saying look at existence, the works, and leave it at that. I Some aspects of nature seem to be inhumane, but even then, there is often short term automatic natural pain relief build-in, effective up to a point.

• cofty
    cofty

Gaia's balance?

I'm out of this conversation.

• waton
    waton
    Gaia's balance?
    I'm out of this conversation. cofty

sad to see you go at this point. There is the hypothesis that life on Earth keeps things in balance, even fights erosion with roots, protects islands with coral reefs, automatically, without any god, or the goddess Gaia fiddling mystical knobs.

hope to see you again. w (p).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit