Proof of God

by MrDantastic 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty
    BTW belief in God it's a gift. If you don't have it then you don't have it. - Brazil

So how do you account for deconversion?

Millions of xtians persuade themselves that their beliefs are based on reason and evidence.

Belief in God it's not achieved by persuasive reasoning.

Reason is the enemy of faith.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I believe in a divine presence in the universe that men have called God.

• Ex-JWs Brazil
    Ex-JWs Brazil

Faith is a product of grace (God's free gift). Grace can be resisted. Faith it's not based on reason. Faith it's not irrational but beyond reason. Reason it's based on faith. Reason is built upon premises of faith (self evident truths).

• cofty
    cofty
    I believe in a divine presence in the universe that men have called God - Truthseeker

Do you think this divine presence does anything or does it simply exist?

• cofty
    cofty
    Faith it's not irrational but beyond reason. - Brazil

That is sophistry. It's like saying astrology is 'beyond astronomy' or numerology is 'beyond mathematics'.

Reason it's based on faith. Reason is built upon premises of faith

That is a strange assertion. Faith and reason are diametrically opposed. Faith is what you use as a foundation for things you want to believe but for which you have no evidence.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Faith is not a pathway to truth or well-being.

Faith can only be a path to truth if you are a incredibly lucky enough to believe only true things.

That is never possible.

Faith based claims held by different faiths conflict and lead different people to contradictory conclusions.

Surely, faith, in and of itself, is insufficient to guarantee truth.

Whilst we're at it, I believe an invisible teapot named Arthur Squirrel is orbiting Jupiter. Am I correct in my faith which I claim god gave to me?

• blownaway
    blownaway

Faith it's not irrational but beyond reason. - Brazil

That is sophistry. It's like saying astrology is 'beyond astronomy' or numerology is 'beyond mathematics'.

Reason it's based on faith. Reason is built upon premises of faith

That is a strange assertion. Faith and reason are diametrically opposed. Faith is what you use as a foundation for things you want to believe but for which you have no evidence.

Faith is not antithetical to reason. It depends on what its based. You can have faith in someone or thing based on. The Oxford Dictionary defines the word as "complete confidence or trust in someone or thing. " I have faith that the sun will come up tomorrow. Faith in religion calls for belief without evidence but you seem to want to give things very narrow definitions. You seem to be very dogmatic in your belief not much different from the religions you decry.

• Ex-JWs Brazil
    Ex-JWs Brazil

You can only reason if you have premises first.

The premise that says "the human mind is capable of understanding the universe better than any other animal" cannot be proved by any reasoning but it must be taken as true.

This particular premise it's the first block of any reasoning.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Brazil - The premise that says - etc

Where does this come from, how is it testable and how does one come to know it is true?

cannot be proved by any reasoning but it must be taken as true

Then it is useless and cannot be considered.

As I said:

There is an invisible teapot named Arthur Squirrel is orbiting Jupiter. By that premise, I have to be correct.

• cofty
    cofty
    You can have faith in someone or thing based on. - blownaway

You are equivocating - yet again. We are NOT talking about faith in the sense of trust based on past experience. We are talking about faith in the very existence of a god for which there is no evidence. These two meanings of the word faith are so different they hardly deserve the same word. Religion has hijacked the word faith.

I have faith in the sense of 'trust' that my wife loves me based on decades of experience. I have no need for any faith in the fact that she exists.

The less evidence that exists for something the more faith is required which is why religions equate faith with virtue.

The rest of your post was a rather silly ad hominem so let's have faith that you are better than that and try to stick to the topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit