HARSH FINAL COURT DECISION IN VICKI BOER V. WATCHTOWER TRIAL

by hawkaw 133 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

I'm seriously sick to my stomach.

Not that long ago, as a faithful Dub, I would have thought: "see what happens when you mess with Jehovah's Organization?'

That, my friends, is what this ruling will reinforce to the millions of rank-and-file JW's who will learn of it.

Vindication. That's what they are thinking.

I need to go hurl.

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Like the WTS needs anyone's money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, this whole thing is twisted and disturbing, without mentioning insane!

I get so sick of hearing about injustices.....................let's hope that the WTS gets screwed somewhere, somehow because up until now they have screwed everyone else.

I'm so glad to be out of IT!

Bliss.................(of the fed up class)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Elsewhere asked,

Did the original judge who awarded the $5000 realize what the consequences would be?????

Here is what happened, as I understand it, and I am subject to correction:

The judge who heard the case is by law not allowed to know that there were pre-trial settlement offers, so she made her award judgement based on her interpretation of the circumstances and how the law applied to them.

Then, after granting the $5,000 award, she was asked to decide the question "who pays what?"

At that time she learned of the $20K and $56K pretrial settlement offers, and that they were rejected.

Because the judge awarded LESS than the pretrial offer put on the table, the whole trial is seen as a waste of the court's and the defendant's (WTS) time, and the plaintif (Vicki) was ordered by the judge to pay the WTS for wasting their time with a court proceeding that netted LESS than was offerred pre-trial.

Please understand that I am not saying that I agree with the Judge. I think that both her initial $5,000 award and her decision to make Vicki pay are way wrong. In an earlier thread here, I said that the Judge's decision was "impeccable," but I did not know then what Hawkaw pointed out later - the Judge was not obligated by law to require Vicki to pay. For some reason, this judge decided that Vicki deserved further punishment and humiliation. The only silver lining of this dark dark cloud is that Vicki has NOT been bound by any gag order - as the WTS pretrial offer required - and so she is free to tell her story to the world, and as Perry pointed out above, the demonstrable FACT that the WTS is willing to pay $50K to keep victims of sexual abuse silent. I hope the media picks this up, and it would be wonderful if Oprah would let Vicki tell her story on TV.

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

How about a TV Movie about her experience? Maybe a good written article in something like Reader's Digest? Maybe even some Christian magazines? I'm sure they'd love to show this about witnesses. Use her circumstances to help her not hinder her.

((((Vicki))) and ((((family))), so sorry this is going this way.

Sadie

• Room 215
    Room 215

Of course, it's a horrendous decision by a dim-witted judge, but the facts certainly accurately depict the heartlessness and ruthlessness of the WTBTS. From what I read here, this is the Society's way of getting back at her for refusing $56,000 of ``hush money" to end the matter quietly.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I think we are all looking at this negatively. I feel bad for Vicky and I will do all I can help but lets not forget the WT was still found negligent here!!! Has anyone got the actual court transcripts? Lets get an information package together. We should all do a blitz campaign with any dub friends, relatives, anyone interested and show them where the WT was found guilty. Lets hit them where it hurts most, their cash flow. They can throw the facts back in our face that the WT got a financial judgment but the fact is they were still found negligent protecting child abusers and tried to bribe the victim with hush money. Just a thought but I think we can get the jerks back this way.

Will

• needs_lots
    needs_lots

orbison,

I called that "leaf", but they are no longer taking calls. They are not legal advisors. Thanks for trying, and I wanted you to know that I called. We will just have to think of something else.......

vicki

• observador
    observador

Vicki,

I was so sad with the outcome of this last night that I got inspired to write a little article explaining your case to the Portuguese speaking web audience. As many others here, I'm hoping that any big media outlet out there picks up your story to let the whole world to know it. Many hugs to you and Scott. Hang in there!

{{{{Vicki}}}} {{{{Scott}}}}

http://www.observandoomundo.com/abuso.php

Observador.

• sf
    sf

Wow! Gives a whole new meaning to Balls of Steel when speaking of WTBTS.

HS states:

WTS have a highly respected profile within the Canadian judicial system.

Respected. How?

Oh, and incidently, have you seen my post in this thread?:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/59617/1.ashx

Please comment. Thank you kindly.

{{{{{ Scott and Vicky, hang in there...we won't let you go }}}}}

sKally

• sf
    sf

The Women's Legal Education and Action Fund
    ... Another interesting fact is that the full cost of the litigation is never borne by
    LEAF because the lawyers who act for us always donate either all or part of ...
    www.leaf.ca/faqs.html - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit